U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Are walmart and rest areas really that safe? I know theyve got security cameras all over and have people working inside but thats never stopped crazy criminals from trying stuff in those areas before has it? im just asking cus a lot of people say walmart is a decent place to do it.
There is NO SAFE PLACE TO SLEEP IN A CAR OVERNIGHT. Priceline a cheap hotel room and get a free breakfast and a shower out of it. Seriously--you're going to not shower for three days? Looking and smelling homeless is a good reason in itself to be hassled by the cops.

If you can't afford a cheap hotel, you can't afford this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,009,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And you think random rest areas and truck stops will be safer?
No I think theyd be equally bad(especially with the rest stops)

Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
There is NO SAFE PLACE TO SLEEP IN A CAR OVERNIGHT. Priceline a cheap hotel room and get a free breakfast and a shower out of it. Seriously--you're going to not shower for three days? Looking and smelling homeless is a good reason in itself to be hassled by the cops.

If you can't afford a cheap hotel, you can't afford this trip.
I can afford it I guess but I prefer to spend my money on other stuff..but do you know of any cities where hotels rooms are that cheap cus I can only think of a couple...kissimmee and maybe myrtle beach but only in offseason..

Old 08-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla17 View Post
i can afford it i guess but i prefer to spend my money on other stuff..but do you know of any cities where hotels rooms are that cheap cus i can only think of a couple...kissimmee and maybe myrtle beach but only in offseason..
p-r-i-c-e-l-i-n-e.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,137,408 times
If you already have health issues, trying to get a good night's sleep in a car isn't going to help you because it isn't going to be possible. In a well lighted, busy area how will you sleep? In a day or two you'd be utterly exhausted - and driving. Not a good idea.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
p-r-i-c-e-l-i-n-e.
I always use priceline but Ive rarely seen prices like that..

Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I always use priceline but Ive rarely seen prices like that..
Not in the cities, but in the small towns along the highways, yes, you'll find prices like that on "Name Your Own Price." I have a friend who often travels the area you are talking about for work. She is allowed to keep any savings from her hotel per diem, and often does NYOP for a room in a motel along the highway--and her average price is about $30 per night (plus taxes).

Old 08-17-2014, 04:39 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,895,713 times
I'd feel safer in a Walmart parking lot then some "motel along the highway" that I've seen.
And I can't, for the life of me, think of anybody that died from not taking a full shower until the 3rd day. Thinking back to the days of the "Saturday night bath" it's a wonder any of our ancestors managed to produce children.
I have absolutely no doubt, annerk, that you have countless times been in very close proximity to persons who have not done so without ever being aware of it.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 AM

13,165 posts, read 20,787,609 times
When we take road trips, we always stop at the state welcome center and pick up hotel coupons.

If I really didn't have the funds to get a room, I think I would stop at a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc, pull in between two cars, and sleep. Chances are, if it's after dinner time, the cars will be there for the rest of the night, and nobody will be any the wiser you're there.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'd feel safer in a Walmart parking lot then some "motel along the highway" that I've seen.
And I can't, for the life of me, think of anybody that died from not taking a full shower until the 3rd day. Thinking back to the days of the "Saturday night bath" it's a wonder any of our ancestors managed to produce children.
I have absolutely no doubt, annerk, that you have countless times been in very close proximity to persons who have not done so without ever being aware of it.
Priceline generally will get you a Comfort Inn, Country Inn, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc. in that price range in the south outside of the metro areas. Bid for a 2*.

You are kidding yourself if you think it's not noticeable when someone hasn't showered for 30 hours or longer. They might not have typical BO, but they have a "dirty" smell about them--not to mention often greasy hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or