U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Only spoiled kids get to go on international vacations! (although Montreal/Vancouver might be exempt depending on where you live) --- but I admit that way-overpriced Disney resort vacations are really no cheaper and a lot more canned.
I'd have to disagree. Taking a kid to Europe is an amazing opportunity for them, and certainly has nothing to do with being spoiled. Lot's of kids are ridiculously spoiled and can barely point to Europe on a map, let alone say they've visited there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe you missed the part about Cedar Point.
When I was in middle school, the very long day trip to Cedar Point was always one of the big highlights of the end of the school year.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,769 times
Quote:
Taking a kid to Europe is an amazing opportunity for them, and certainly has nothing to do with being spoiled.
Sure but only spoiled kids get to go on European vacations! And did you not see the ? (think The Pony Remark)

Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Only spoiled kids get to go on international vacations! (although Montreal/Vancouver might be exempt depending on where you live) --- but I admit that way-overpriced Disney resort vacations are really no cheaper and a lot more canned.
Agree about Disney as well. The OP did mention that he didn't want to go out of the country for this trip. It would be pretty expensive as well to pay for two. I still say he should do a camping trip, Glacier is beautiful. Combine that with a road trip. I would love to do that!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM

556 posts, read 761,732 times
I had a blast at Disney World when I was 16, so 13 is definitely not too old.

Another option is Williamsburg, VA. Busch Gardens has some pretty good deals for weekend and 2 day passes. There is a water park nearby (Water Country USA) and also a Great Wolf Lodge if you want a familiar home base. Colonial Williamsburg can be a lot of fun if he has any interest in history. The interpreters/actors are really good at capturing kids' attention. Jamestown and Yorktown are also close by, and each good for a half day+. Williamsburg runs on tourism, so there are lots of hotels at all price points.

From Williamsburg, it's about an hour and a half to the beaches in Virginia Beach (depending on traffic, of course). In the VA Beach/Norfolk area, there are lots of museums for kids who are interested in beach or sailing stuff. I recommend the Cape Henry Lighthouse (on Fort Story, so you have to go through military security - make sure you have a valid driver's license and current/valid insurance card). The Old Coast Guard station/museum is also pretty neat. The Nauticus museum in Norfolk is a great side trip, and include access to the Battleship Wisconsin. It may sound silly, but the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is also interesting as a tourist attraction. I believe they still offer a discount toll for people who are just driving across and back. There is a restaurant on one of the islands in the middle of the bridge where you can stop and have lunch, take pictures, and buy cheap souvenirs.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,478,770 times
HAWAII of course! I took my kids to Hawaii multiple times and always took other kids with. One of the best trips was when they were 13. They had a blast just going from beach to beach, nature hikes, the zoo, and just hanging out. Nature is so spectacular there that nothing compares to it, it's overwhelming.

The kid we took with us remembers it fondly as the best vacation of her life. A few years later she was taken to Florida with a family member and she called us the from there to tell us "Its nothing like Hawaii!"

Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Another option is Williamsburg, VA. Busch Gardens has some pretty good deals for weekend and 2 day passes. There is a water park nearby (Water Country USA) and also a Great Wolf Lodge if you want a familiar home base. Colonial Williamsburg can be a lot of fun if he has any interest in history. The interpreters/actors are really good at capturing kids' attention. Jamestown and Yorktown are also close by, and each good for a half day+. Williamsburg runs on tourism, so there are lots of hotels at all price points.

From Williamsburg, it's about an hour and a half to the beaches in Virginia Beach (depending on traffic, of course). In the VA Beach/Norfolk area, there are lots of museums for kids who are interested in beach or sailing stuff. I recommend the Cape Henry Lighthouse (on Fort Story, so you have to go through military security - make sure you have a valid driver's license and current/valid insurance card). The Old Coast Guard station/museum is also pretty neat. The Nauticus museum in Norfolk is a great side trip, and include access to the Battleship Wisconsin. It may sound silly, but the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is also interesting as a tourist attraction. I believe they still offer a discount toll for people who are just driving across and back. There is a restaurant on one of the islands in the middle of the bridge where you can stop and have lunch, take pictures, and buy cheap souvenirs.
As much as I absolutely hated living in Virginia (both southern and northern) for 10+ years as a kid, I must admit that I remember my trips to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and Nags Head, NC quite fondly. It still wouldn't be my first preference, but not a bad way to go if you happen to be trapped on that side of the rock anyways. Also, I felt them and still feel, that Washington DC is one of the top 3 city destinations in the US, especially with kids. So that might be another option to consider, time permitting.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,983,142 times
If you do go to Williamsonburg, there are also a number of Civil War battlefield national parks in Virginia that a 13 year old might be interested. I really don't have any suggestion for you, but you area a great cousin.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Quote:
Maybe you missed the part about Cedar Point.

No, I didn't.
It still doesn't make Cleveland a vacation destination just like I wouldn't recommend Cincinnati because of Kings Island.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
SAN DIEGO!

San Diego Zoo
San Diego Wild Animal Park
SeaWorld
Old Town
Star of India maritime museum
Midway (aircraft carrier plus museum)
Balboa Park....

Close enough to do DisneyLAND (vs. Disneyworld).

Plus beaches......

I'm a little biased as I live in SD but it's hard to run out of things to do with a kid here.
I agree and it will be nowhere near as hot as it would be in Orlando FL during the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or