U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Reputation: 3272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I always wear a very baggy 3-piece sequined suit with chrome-spiked suspenders/belt and steel tip boots. Oh and a pistol holster and a two handed sword scabbard.
Can you upload a photo of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Can you upload a photo of that?
It got confiscated along wight the all the garb. TSA so unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You had to dress up? I haven't flown in first (yet!) but have flown in business class about 4 or 5 times. I wear the same thing I always do. Never saw a need to dress nicer.
I sometimes fly with a full suit & tie because it's easier than packing it when I just need it for one occasion and light clothes can fit in my carry-on for the rest. I fly coach and get annoyed looks and extra hassle from TSA, not to mention confused questions when friends/fam pick me up at the other end and I'm in an expensive suit and our first stop is usually the beach. So, yes, dressing up is far from required today, and TSA seems to prefer sweats and a T with slip on shoes, and it's more comfortable anyways so who cares if it annoys old schoolers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I sometimes fly with a full suit & tie because it's easier than packing it when I just need it for one occasion and light clothes can fit in my carry-on for the rest. I fly coach and get annoyed looks and extra hassle from TSA, not to mention confused questions when friends/fam pick me up at the other end and I'm in an expensive suit and our first stop is usually the beach. So, yes, dressing up is far from required today, and TSA seems to prefer sweats and a T with slip on shoes, and it's more comfortable anyways so who cares if it annoys old schoolers.
This puzzles me. First of all, why the tie? Certainly that doesn't take up a lot of room in your bag. And why annoyed looks and extra hassle from TSA? They deal with suited business travelers all the time. As long as you remove your shoes, belt and jacket, you're not really dressed any differently than anyone else.

Personally, I don't plan on wearing my travel clothes during the trip unless I have an opportunity to wash them. I always feel so ... ick ... after hours in planes and airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM
 
1,915 posts, read 3,347,645 times
Reputation: 3032
I wear a comfortable dress and flip flops. Why a dress? Easiest to deal with in those tiny bathrooms. The flip flops are obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This puzzles me. First of all, why the tie? Certainly that doesn't take up a lot of room in your bag.
For the same reason that I'm wearing the suit -- so that it doesn't get wadded up and wrinkled in my carry-on (I use a small backpack for everything else). Hanging bags sort of keep things from getting wrinkled, but not compared to wearing it. Of course if its a long flight (3+ hours) and/or I need more than one set of dress clothes then I use a hanging bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
And why annoyed looks and extra hassle from TSA? They deal with suited business travelers all the time. As long as you remove your shoes, belt and jacket, you're not really dressed any differently than anyone else.
Removing belt, dress shoes (with laces), and jacket IS extra hassle, compared to just slipping off my merrells. Also, I've found myself pulled to the side more often in a suit because they want to check me closer, but that could just be random. As for annoyed looks, some people are just annoyed by people in suits because they think we're uptight snobs or whatever. But of course other people are annoyed by people in sweats, T and sandals because they think we're slobs or whatever. So I guess that part evens out. Most people are just annoyed by people who aren't them.

Last edited by otterprods; 08-13-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I wear a comfortable dress and flip flops. Why a dress? Easiest to deal with in those tiny bathrooms. The flip flops are obvious.
I get cold on planes. If I wore sandals I'd have to carry a heavy pair of socks. My legs need to be covered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
As for annoyed looks, some people are just annoyed by people in suits because they think we're uptight snobs or whatever.
I think you're imagining things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
9,809 posts, read 5,482,793 times
Reputation: 8378
I haven't been commercial flying (otherwise, different) in about 1.5 decades. But as such.......

.....boots to tuck my tickets in, jeans, Tac Shirt, carry on wooly pulley, maybe a leather jacket. This being all over the standard undies, tee, socks.

As such, it would probably mark me as a security agent for someone................

..............................but, unless I am on a dedicate mission not to appear as such, I'm likely to be dressed as such.

Which means, unfortunately, if anyone were to take the plane, they off'd me first just on general principle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I think you're imagining things.
What, the annoyed looks, or the fact that some people are annoyed by people in suits? Because if it's the latter I know for a fact that it's not a figment of my imagination. But if you just meant looks then yeah, those can easily be mistaken.

Why are you pestering me about this anyways? I never said that YOU gave me dirty looks. Looks or not, people often see other people who dress, look or behave in a way that's contrary to their own preferences and get bugged by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What, the annoyed looks, or the fact that some people are annoyed by people in suits? Because if it's the latter I know for a fact that it's not a figment of my imagination. But if you just meant looks then yeah, those can easily be mistaken.

Why are you pestering me about this anyways? I never said that YOU gave me dirty looks. Looks or not, people often see other people who dress, look or behave in a way that's contrary to their own preferences and get bugged by it.
I'm not pestering you. I was curious about the reasoning behind your choices. And if people in suits are getting annoyed looks, it's usually for some other reason than their suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top