U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Reputation: 2674

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure if was mentioned, but it is against the law to wear cammo in some countries.
…examples…? And does that include casual clothing which is obviously just using the camo as a sylisitc pattern (as opposed to actually military issue camo's)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
…examples…? And does that include casual clothing which is obviously just using the camo as a sylisitc pattern (as opposed to actually military issue camo's)?
Jamaica, St. Kitts, Barbados, Trinidad, Zambia, Nigeria, I know there are plenty of others.

It includes all cammo patterned fabrics--even for children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Jamaica, St. Kitts, Barbados, Trinidad, Zambia, Nigeria, I know there are plenty of others. It includes all cammo patterned fabrics--even for children.
What if my phone backing has camo on it? (like this) … or perhaps sunglasses, hat, wallet, keychain, etc. I'm not trying to be smart, I really want to know. Seems pretty ridiculous and makes me despise TSA a little less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
What if my phone backing has camo on it? (like this) … or perhaps sunglasses, hat, wallet, keychain, etc. I'm not trying to be smart, I really want to know. Seems pretty ridiculous and makes me despise TSA a little less.
In countries where local police tend to not have any sense of humor at all, I wouldn't take the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,646,320 times
Reputation: 32347
Shoes I can run in. Always.

If there's a problem with the take-off/landing I plan on being the person who gets out of (and away from) the plane quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In countries where local police tend to not have any sense of humor at all, I wouldn't take the risk.
So you'd buy a new phone of you happened to own the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active or some other essential item which happens to come in camo pattern? I can understand the part about not taking unnecessary chances, but is it possible you maybe exaggerated a little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM
 
14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So you'd buy a new phone of you happened to own the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active or some other essential item which happens to come in camo pattern? I can understand the part about not taking unnecessary chances, but is it possible you maybe exaggerated a little?
I'm going to have to assume that in some countries, let's say Jamaica, they're not going to toss you in jail simply because you're wearing camo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So you'd buy a new phone of you happened to own the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active or some other essential item which happens to come in camo pattern? I can understand the part about not taking unnecessary chances, but is it possible you maybe exaggerated a little?
I prefer to not provoke the gendarme.

I'd spend the $10 to buy a different color case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm going to have to assume that in some countries, let's say Jamaica, they're not going to toss you in jail simply because you're wearing camo.
Do you feel lucky?

Frankly I do everything possible to NOT provoke the local authorities when visiting other countries. Particularly countries who are known for their less than hospitable jail conditions.

(And people wonder why the term "Ugly American" exists. Someone knows something is forbidden, but thinks they are above it so does it anyhow instead of respecting the laws of their host.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
 
14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Do you feel lucky?

Frankly I do everything possible to NOT provoke the local authorities when visiting other countries. Particularly countries who are known for their less than hospitable jail conditions.

(And people wonder why the term "Ugly American" exists. Someone knows something is against the law, but thinks they are above it so does it anyhow instead of respecting the laws of their host.)
You honestly think that most people know about wearing camo in certain countries? That's about as random of a fact that I can think of. So now someone having a camo cell phone case or wearing a camo t-shirt is considered an "ugly american"? Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top