Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times

Advertisements

I wear my 3/4 length ivory/creme thick cotton coat w/hood, has two large sqaure pockets at hips w/flaps also side hand pockets. It's a wonderful coat, it's by Eddie Bauer, got it in the late 90s, still looks nice has held up well, great quality. It's really warm w/o getting hot. The first trip I wore it on was to Hawaii. The air conditioner was on really cold, I just snuggled in my warm coat and wore the hood the entire flight. I touched the top of the hood and it was really cold, and I was nice and warm.

Also, I usually wear long scarves, the pashmina type. I'll pack extra one in my tote, too. Recently I bought a wonderful RL sarong, it's all cotton (little crinkley) and I've been wearing it as a scarf. The colors are lime and diff. shades of blue.

It's nice to have a pair of lightweight gloves in case hands get cold on the plane from the really cold air conditioner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Then I would recommend that you wear what's comfortable for you.
Always do. We fly long haul on about 3 trips per year, some 24 hours from start to finish. Being uncomfortable is not an option.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Default long dress for long plane flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

for warmer weather, I have a knit jersey maxi dress with short sleeves. It's very comfortable and easy to move around in, and the pattern looks like someone spilled a bunch of paint on it (almost like a Jackson Pollock painting!) which is great in case I spill something. The maxi dress isn't the greatest when going thru the TSA checkpoint, and it often results in me getting some additional screening (I guess because they can't see the outline of my body clearly?), but I'm willing to put up with that because it's just so comfortable.

I actually nearly always bring the maxi dress when I travel, it's super versatile and can be washed by hand in the hotel sink and hung to dry overnight. I've worn it with leggings while sightseeing, with a blazer or cardigan to the office, as a swimsuit coverup, and with a funky necklace out to a nice dinner.

I should out together a small photo album of this specific dress, around the world!
Like you, I opt for a long dress as well. I usually wear a calf-length linen dress. It's long enough to cover the knees and then some so I don't have to stress about sitting down and keeping my knees/ankles together (ugh -- no thanks). But it's not ankle length, so I don't have to worry about it touching the ground when I'm sitting down. It's nice and roomy, which means like you, I will get patted down by TSA, but hey, I have to be comfortable, and that's what a longer, roomy dress is. This dress also has pockets.

Linen is easy to wash in the tub and dries incredibly quickly provided you roll up the dress with a bath towel and press the roll against the wall a few times before hanging on a hanger to dry. Even though it's linen, it doesn't wrinkle badly. I don't iron the dress and it looks fine if hung to dry.

I wear sandals and carry a hat that can be scrunched up in my carry-on bag. I also have a light long sleeve shirt in case it gets chilly on the plane or need protection from the sun coming in through the plane window. I do bring a pair of socks with me in case my feet get cold when I'm sleeping on the plane.

A dress-specific photo album would be awesome!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
Tallish white guy here.

Button down light blue shirt, khaki/tan dress pants, slip on dress shoes.

Basically the white guy uniform that will allow me to do just about anything, give me a clip board and I can walk freely through any hospital, pencil behind my ear and a clip board I can get into a nuclear power plant. With a blue blazer over this I can greet heads of state or teach at a top notch university.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM

60 posts, read 64,057 times
My rule is: the longer the flight, the more casual I get. And if I'm connecting I bring tennis shoes.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmARandomAnonymousUser View Post
My rule is: the longer the flight, the more casual I get. And if I'm connecting I bring tennis shoes.
Funny I do the opposite the more connections I have the better the chance of some random airline f*ck-up the better I dress.

I tend to get better service when I'm dressed well as opposed to camo-cargo shorts and a way too small under armour shirt.

But thats just me.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Funny I do the opposite the more connections I have the better the chance of some random airline f*ck-up the better I dress.

I tend to get better service when I'm dressed well as opposed to camo-cargo shorts and a way too small under armour shirt.

But thats just me.
I find that the service I get rarely has anything to do with how I'm dressed, and more to do with how polite and gracious I am. I've been upgraded in shorts and flip flops because I wasn't bitching at the gate agent like everyone else.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times
Quote:
Tallish white guy here.

Button down light blue shirt, khaki/tan dress pants, slip on dress shoes.

Basically the white guy uniform that will allow me to do just about anything, give me a clip board and I can walk freely through any hospital, pencil behind my ear and a clip board I can get into a nuclear power plant. With a blue blazer over this I can greet heads of state or teach at a top notch university.

This sounds like my standard travel uniform. Cotton dress shirt (always long sleeve 'cause that's how I roll), khaki pants, and dress loafers by Rockports (super comfortable and dressy). I also wear a white Panama hat if the climate makes it suitable. It's classy, (something that matters in most countries outside of the United States) and it generally conveys a respectable appearance with a touch of style.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:

But thats just me.
Haha, I can totally relate to the camo-cargo shorts and the too small UA shirt. Maybe I should change my outfit for my flight next month. But then again I always dress in cargo shorts (or jeans if cold) and a t shirt so I wouldn't know any difference.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Not sure if was mentioned, but it is against the law to wear cammo in some countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel