U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,923,913 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know if anyone else has..for lack of a better phrase... a uniform they tend to wear when flying -- especially long haul flights or trips with multiple connections. A specific outfit or type of outfit, basically.

I nearly always wear one of 2 things:

1) for cooler weather, black knitted cashmere blend yoga pants with a matching knitted hoodie. Insanely comfortable. I pack an extra t-shirt in my carryon so I can freshen up and change before the plane lands, on long hauls. I have to make a fair amount of longhaul flights for work, so I splurged and bought 2 of these outfits a few years ago. They make a 10-15 hour flight so much more bearable!

2) for warmer weather, I have a knit jersey maxi dress with short sleeves. It's very comfortable and easy to move around in, and the pattern looks like someone spilled a bunch of paint on it (almost like a Jackson Pollock painting!) which is great in case I spill something. The maxi dress isn't the greatest when going thru the TSA checkpoint, and it often results in me getting some additional screening (I guess because they can't see the outline of my body clearly?), but I'm willing to put up with that because it's just so comfortable.

I actually nearly always bring the maxi dress when I travel, it's super versatile and can be washed by hand in the hotel sink and hung to dry overnight. I've worn it with leggings while sightseeing, with a blazer or cardigan to the office, as a swimsuit coverup, and with a funky necklace out to a nice dinner.

I should out together a small photo album of this specific dress, around the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
No.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
No.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
The same as I wear around the house and town, jeans and a pocket T shirt. If it's cold a jacket that comes off while in the plane. Comfort is important when flying as it is at other times.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM

465 posts, read 430,117 times
For long haul, I will wear a knit tee with yoga pants, a sweater, minimal jewelry, flexible ballet flats, and a pashmina scarf. I pack a pair of slippers in my carry-on bag to wear during the flight. I rarely wear jeans when flying, unless it's a short flight.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
Always shoes and T shirt or collard shirt. If it's expected to be cold at the destination I'll wear jeans and bring a jacket to wear later. If not cold, I'll wear my cargo shorts.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
I wear whatever will be comfortable and practical at my destination.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,044,812 times
Typically some of my most comfortable jeans and a nice casual button-up appropriate for the season.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,600 times
Depending on where I am going and the climate. But usually I will dress up nicely - not suit and tie, but something nice yet comfortable. But definitely not things I wear around house like t shirt with holes. HA HA!

This is especially important when I am travelling to countries in equator during winter time in the US. I usually sacrificed by only wearing one trench coat and just regular oxford travelling from the US. (No long john, no gloves, etc). I hate carrying puffy jackets, gloves, hats, sweaters on my hands while wearing boots as I get off the gate. Some of these airports are just not equipped with AC once you get off the gate because - well they are used to same weather all year I guess. (Exhibit one: Soekarno Hatta International Airport in JAkarta). Plus after running around from custom etc etc, I will be drenched in sweat anyway. As the part of routine, I always buy extra sweaters in the country of destination and wear them on the way back to the US.

Same thing when it is Summer and I am going to OZ for example. I would just buy coat there.

I hate stress and hassles.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 08-13-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 AM

13,677 posts, read 13,579,480 times
Jeans and a t-shirt. Same thing I wear every day, though when I'm not flying my first choice is biker boots for footwear and on planes I wear sneakers. I also make sure to bring a fleece or a hoodie too.

With me, my concern is more about luggage. I like the freedom of not checking a bag, so I always try to travel light. Sometimes that's just not possible - like when I combine a business trip with a vacation in my home state. I need conference/meeting clothes, "out with the buddies" clothes, my usual jeans/t-shirt combos, hiking clothes, etc. And my work computer always has to be with me because I'm basically on call even when I'm on vacation with my company. The packing can be excessive.

But when i can travel with just a carry-on and a backpack, I am delighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel