U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM

218 posts, read 343,330 times

Advertisements

I'm no stranger to AirBnB. I've used it all over from NYC/Ibiza/Mexico/Canada etc. I've had nothing but great experiences so far. However, I always rented from listing that had a decent amount of costumer reviews that detail the experiences they had in order to know if the listing met my expectations.

I'm currently planning another trip at the moment however some the listings that appear to be what I am looking for in a condo rental are new listings that do not have any previous customer reviews. In cases such as this, would it be wise to skip over these? Or would you give it a go and potentially have the worst stay ever?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 PM

706 posts, read 862,215 times
I would send an email to the person listing the property with your concerns, etc. I would skip it but if the price is good i would send a message to the person.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
I just did that in Innsbruck with no problems. Just message them first to get a feel for the folks running the show. I'm pretty sure AirBnB will refund you if they fall through or something.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Been doing hospitality guest homes for 30 yrs.

No reviews no problems (yet)

$10 / night worldwide - works for me.

My kids use AirB&B with excellent success.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 AM

109 posts, read 120,611 times
Like Jesse44 said. Contact them first. It bothers me too when there's no reviews and I generally choose those who have reviews but at the same time I'm thinking: they need to start somewhere. If everybody thinks like you (and me) they'll never get any review. There has to be a first time. So thank you to those who rent places with no reviews.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:59 AM

607 posts, read 1,059,411 times
Same advice as above. Send a message to the person listing the place. I've done that when looking at places w/o reviews. I did it twice and neither lister sent me a message back. I took it as a sign and chose not to book.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Well one thing is for sure with every single listing and that is at some point all had no reviews until one person took the leap! I would certainly be asking the host more questions though - just to make sure its what im looking for but I wouldn't automatically rule it out just because there are no reviews. Anyway if any host doesn't get back to me within 24 hrs....NEXT!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 PM

218 posts, read 343,330 times
Thanks guys, sorry for the late response.

What probing questions should I be asking in these cases? Btw, Its for a listing in Playa del Carmen, MX in January for a music festival.

Ive been to this town of quite a few occasions, but everytime I used a listing that had plenty of reviews.

This time the hottest thing smoking has non. Lol

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM

505 posts, read 789,441 times
I actually started hosting late this summer. We finally have three reviews after hosting six or seven travellers. Some people just won't be bothered to leave a review, even if their stay was completely positive. Otherwise, some hosts are just starting out, and it would be very good for them if an experienced traveler gave them a chance, and left a positive (if you can do so honestly) review.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 616 times
Smile I would!

I just started hosting on Airbnb. When you look at my site, you see that I have just started and have one review. I think the advice is good - contact the host and ask questions and get a feel for things. I know I can't be objective about my own place, but I have tried really hard to play the "guest" role while getting my place ready. I would love to find such a place in New Orleans when I go there in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or