U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,565,587 times

Advertisements

There is also this little trick. When you go on vacation, put all the stuff you plan to take with you on your bed.
Put half of the items back in the closet, and you wil find out there is still to much stuff traveling with you.....

Seen people who take groceries with them on vacation.....
I drive a semi, and just replace dirty items with clean ones. Never gone for more than a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,930,552 times
I'll pack a few hours before a trip, but make a list days in advance. Then it is just a matter of gathering up the items on the list and packing them. Nothing gets forgotten that way.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 AM

15,061 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I am a last minute packer and I am horrible at it. Even with a list. Packing gives me major anxiety and I think I should probably get some counseling to figure out why...lol

My husband, on the other hand, could win some type of packing award. He always packs about an hour before he leaves. But he is fast, neat, and efficient. The way he folds those clothes into the case is awesome!
I know I've mentioned these packing cubes before on this forum, but they really are incredible at organizing and helping me pack. And pack lightly. They are thin, nearly weightless, and take up no extra space in the bag. Things get less wrinkled because things don't move around as much. Obviously, from the reviews at Amazon, I'm not the only one who thinks these things are The Bomb.

We NEVER check luggage on the outbound flight. Ever. These things help make that realistic, even for a month long trip. I was skeptical until the first time I used them. Now I'm a believer. DH, after he saw how I used them on that first trip, told me to order him a set, too!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,162,399 times
I pack the evening before I leave, but don't pack my toiletries. The next morning I put each toiletry item I use while getting dressed into my toiletry bag, and when I finish getting ready, I've packed all the stuff I actually use. Toss in some sunscreen, depending on destination, and hit the road.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:22 AM

21 posts, read 21,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Unfortunately, I tend to wait until the last minute to pack. How many fellow travelers are also inclined to pack the day (or night) before a trip?

What are your main reasons for procrastinating? I tend to procrastinate most when I have a lot of things occupying my mind.
This is totally me! Hahahaha!!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I pack the evening before I leave, but don't pack my toiletries. The next morning I put each toiletry item I use while getting dressed into my toiletry bag, and when I finish getting ready, I've packed all the stuff I actually use. Toss in some sunscreen, depending on destination, and hit the road.
Yeah,,, I can't pack too early either and usually wait till the last minute or the night before I leave.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM

71,922 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Unfortunately, I tend to wait until the last minute to pack. How many fellow travelers are also inclined to pack the day (or night) before a trip?

What are your main reasons for procrastinating? I tend to procrastinate most when I have a lot of things occupying my mind.
Well more so than in the good ole days; I do make mental notes all the time, then I make my lists and I start thinking pack, pack, pack about a week or so ahead of time, but I actually really get serious about 3 days ahead unless it is a long trip or very short. Long, where I have to really think, I might start throwing things in about a week prior to leaving, short or simple trips, like the Vegas trip coming up, I will do most of the packing the day before we leave. It is an 8 day trip, but all we need is a few pair of shorts, a few tops and our swim suits.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
It all depends on what life is handing me at the moment. I've packed and travelled so much though, I don't stress about it no matter what. If I have to stay up late to finish packing though, I've done it wrong.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:06 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
I pack an hour before I leave for the airport.......if it is going to be longer than a week I do make sure all the clothes I will be taking are clean at least 24 hours before I leave (favorite shirts or pants)

I have it down to a science and I never usually forget anything.........it freaks my wife out

Old 08-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,424,200 times
Thanks for the tip JKgourmet. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel