U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,092,983 times

Advertisements

It takes me about 15-30 minutes to pack -- assuming all the laundry is caught up. :-) However, I do a LOT of traveling compared to others -- not airline attendant levels, but figure at least once a month I am visiting my out-of-state mother, accompanying my husband to conferences, etc. When my dad was ill, I would often have to leave with two-hours notice -- I didn't have time to agonize over packing this or that. I know what clothes pack well, I'm not a big clothes horse, so I don't need a different outfit and matching shoes for every circumstance -- just a few basic interchangeable things and some accessories. I have travel sizes of make-up and personal care always ready in an airport-approved plastic bag that I can just tuck in the outside pocket at the last minute. I can pack for a week in a reasonably-sized carry-on (I absolutely HATE checking luggage). There's a special place in my case for my chargers (tablet and phone) - so I can always glance at it before I zip up to make sure that I haven't forgotten them.

When the children were small, I would pack their outfits all together in a gallon-size ziplock bag -- including underwear, socks, matching bow, etc. -- so that in the morning, they could dress themselves easily by just grabbing a bag (the bags were also good for dirty clothes, later, too.)

I have a friend who packs and repacks her (checked) luggage three times in two weeks before a trip -- that would drive me absolutely BONKERS. But then, she is a super-control freak who doesn't feel secure unless she has two options for every possible circumstance. We were driving to a port to go on a 7-day cruise, and she begged to stop at at mall so she could look for ANOTHER suitcase because she didn't like the way her already-packed suitcase was packed. She was very annoyed with me, even when I pointed out that the car didn't have room for another suitcase (six people, one mini-van and luggage for six for a week), and I wasn't willing to buy a roof-top carrier to accomodate her EXTRA suitcase.

Last edited by dblackga; 08-24-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,122 times
Default I do all most of my things in the last minute.

But I'm trying to pack earlier now

Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM

60 posts, read 54,898 times
Oh goodness, don't remind me. Packing is usually the last thing I do before I go on a trip, I usually do so 15 min before I head for the airport. Thank goodness I'm the only one that's traveling!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 PM

76 posts, read 84,890 times
I pack the day before. A week or so I make a checklist, buy whatever items I need to buy, then do laundry a couple of days early so I have sufficient cleans clothes packed.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,766,188 times
I usually pack the day before because I usually don't have that much to pack. It's mostly just some clothes and some toiletries.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:59 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,020,736 times
2 hours before a 3 week trip ive done that lol.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
The last thing I do before walking out the door is pack. It might take me 10 minutes. On camping trips we'll usually stop at the grocery store on the way out of town. I've tried to get my wife to pack the night before when we're going on longer trips, but it never pans out. We both end up packing on the way out. We usually do pretty good, but on out last trip to a wedding in Mexico we had to go clothes shopping for her at the resort as she'd apparently forgotten where we were headed. (Beach, hot, wedding) She needed a bikini for the beach and a dress for the wedding!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 PM

15,265 posts, read 12,573,083 times
I dont like leaving home so I leave it as long as possible before packing, hubby however has the case out a week ormore before lying around and getting in the way.... not only that he puts in what he thinks HE needs and I have to pull it all out again to double check..he hides wee things in zipper compartments then forgets about them when we get there..... we also both have quitea few pills we have to take each day and I like to put them in different bags in case one goes missing.. as we cant do without these tablets, so its a last day thing for me... I have all the clothes etc ready but dont have them in the case till the last..

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
I pack a lil everyday right up until 2 hrs before we are due to leave and I drive everybody nuts with that but I have a check list ready and mark off everything and that way I know Im ready . is that last minute ? I think so , so yes I most likely am a last minute packer .

Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Seen people who take groceries with them on vacation.....
For some people it's a very smart thing to do. Particularly if they have particular dietary needs/restrictions and they won't have easy access to transportation on their vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel