U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,866,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
If I pack early, I end up taking more crap than I need. If I leave it until the last minute, I tend to zone in on only what I actually need.
I'm the exact opposite. If I wait until the last minute, I will end up packing everything I *think* I may need, rather than give thought to what I actually need.

I have to plan outfits (what is being worn on which day or to which event). That's the only way I keep from packing too much.

Most of my flights are fairly early in the morning, so I don't want to be bothered with packing before I leave. I have to pack (95%) the night before. My toiletries and brushes are added in after I get ready that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM

5,942 posts, read 6,769,503 times
Experienced traveler. Pack right before I go. Same "inventory" each time. One small bag fitting in the overhead regardless of how long I will be away.

No need to go overboard...you can get things laundered along the way, or buy the occasional item which suddenly becomes a "must have" and is not in your bag.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
No need to go overboard...you can get things laundered along the way, or buy the occasional item which suddenly becomes a "must have" and is not in your bag.
Sure, but often at great expense.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM

15,138 posts, read 19,160,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Experienced traveler. Pack right before I go. Same "inventory" each time. One small bag fitting in the overhead regardless of how long I will be away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Sure, but often at great expense.
But cheaper than the fee for checking your bag. And far more maneuverable. And zero risk of lost or delayed luggage!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But cheaper than the fee for checking your bag.
Not if you fly Southwest.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM

15,138 posts, read 19,160,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Not if you fly Southwest.
Not for long. They've been hinting that they will change that policy since 2013. Southwest CEO Hints That Bag Fees Could Come - WSJ

And for us, flying SW is often more expensive than other alternatives, regardless of the luggage.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM

37,228 posts, read 45,889,697 times
I make a list a week or so before I'm leaving. I plan everything I will need to wear, and make sure these things are clean and ready to pack. Then I actually pack the day before, and check off my list so I don't forget anything. I have plenty of extra clothes, so I can put aside what I'm taking, but I do not pack toiletries until the morning because I don't have extra.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Not for long. They've been hinting that they will change that policy since 2013. Southwest CEO Hints That Bag Fees Could Come - WSJ

And for us, flying SW is often more expensive than other alternatives, regardless of the luggage.
Well, at the current time, it's cheaper for me to fly Southwest and check a bag than to fly another airline and buy/launder at my destination. Not to mention time and aggravation saved.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,946,839 times
I'm sure that to some, I pack "last minute."

If it's a very early morning flight, I will pack 95% of my bag the night before, and toss in any last minute items before leaving the house. Usually, I pack an hour or two before heading to the airport, though.

I'm never in a panic or rushed, though. I've already figured out exactly what I'm going to pack, I just prefer to actually do the physical packing as late as possible. I've found my clothes are less wrinkled and the wrinkles fall out more easily when I pack last minute.

I keep a list going of everything I want to pack, and I also keep a small travel toiletry bag packed and ready to go. This saves me a lot of time!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM

7,713 posts, read 16,178,229 times
Quote:
Same here. Definitely not a budget carrier in my neck of the swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel