U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 AM

71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I just went to Venezuela via Aruba
I used US Airways from the US to Aruba and from Aruba to Venezuela an Aruban airline called "Insel Air"
I did the same thing on the way back
I was supposed to have a 5 hour layover before getting on my US Airways flight.
"Insel Air" said they had mechanical problem and had to wait for a plane to arrive from Jamaica... that took 5 HOURS.
When I finally got to Aruba, my US Airways flight had left.

I was stuck in Aruba with my two little kids for 3 days because of this and had to spend $1200 for US Airways to change my flight to a different day (If I had bought new tickets, it would have been $3200)
When I talked to Insel Air they said that they did their job and everything after is not their responsibility.

Is there anything I can do to make Insel Air pay for my expenses?
Thanks
I am amazed this happened and the airline will not honor your inconvenience or extra charges because it was a mechanical problem. I will say I am a little confused: why were you stuck for 3 days, why couldn't you take the next US Air flight? They fly quite often from Aruba to the USA? Regardless, I wouldn't take just one persons word as Gods word. I will go to a higher level. If nothing else Insel Air should do something for you.
The airline contract states they are not responsible for flight changes but when it is mechanical it is worth a try to go higher up in the chain. And remember, there is a reason for travel insurance, specially traveling out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I I will say I am a little confused: why were you stuck for 3 days, why couldn't you take the next US Air flight? They fly quite often from Aruba to the USA?

Had a look at US Air's schedule, and they've got very limited service to Aruba- only a few times a week from either Charlotte or Philadelphia outside of peak December-February winter beach season. Code share with American gets you another two flights into Miami, but they also only fly mid-sized 737s on that route. So yeah, I could see sold out planes in an era when the airlines have gotten very, very good at yield management and since the mechanical wasn't US Air's fault, they're not going to rebook you on an alternate airline other than the one they're currently merging with.

As for Insel, from their viewpoint, they got you to your ticketed destination on the date stated on the ticket. Your plans after your arrival in Aruba really are irrelevant in their eyes. If you want to go after someone, go after the Venezuelan government, who has impounded a huge amount of money for tickets sold in Venezuela and won't release it to the airlines, leading most of the major players to very much reduce their flights into the country or pull out altogether until they get their millions of dollars owed.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you want to go after someone, go after the Venezuelan government, who has impounded a huge amount of money for tickets sold in Venezuela and won't release it to the airlines, leading most of the major players to very much reduce their flights into the country or pull out altogether until they get their millions of dollars owed.
that has nothing to do with this
I'm American, bought my tickets in the US and the issue was with Insel Air (Aruban Airline) on a flight from Curacao to Aruba.
I had to stay 3 days because US Airways didn't have any earlier flights (Aruba-Charlotte-Houston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrr View Post
I think that one of the best options is to claim with some claim firm. I know this from my own previous experience and I didn't regret it. Here's a link from refund.me http://www.refund.me/en/
Hope it could help! Good luck!
Thanks
I'll give that a try

Old 08-29-2014, 05:22 PM

14 posts, read 10,968 times
This kind of situation happens all the time. I mean people buy round trip flights with different carriers to one route. Next time just pay a little more for the flight and you will definitelly be fine). Essential if you have kids with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or