Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times

Advertisements

I just went to Venezuela via Aruba
I used US Airways from the US to Aruba and from Aruba to Venezuela an Aruban airline called "Insel Air"
I did the same thing on the way back
I was supposed to have a 5 hour layover before getting on my US Airways flight.
"Insel Air" said they had mechanical problem and had to wait for a plane to arrive from Jamaica... that took 5 HOURS.
When I finally got to Aruba, my US Airways flight had left.

I was stuck in Aruba with my two little kids for 3 days because of this and had to spend $1200 for US Airways to change my flight to a different day (If I had bought new tickets, it would have been $3200)
When I talked to Insel Air they said that they did their job and everything after is not their responsibility.

Is there anything I can do to make Insel Air pay for my expenses?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Insel Air's contract of carriage:

InselAir's General Terms and Conditions - Fly-InselAir.com

Quote:
Schedules are subject to change without notice. Insel Air is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections or to operate any flight according to schedule or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall Insel Air be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.
When you book a route using multiple tickets instead of a single ticket, it's just the risk you take. Under normal circumstances, five hours should be enough of a buffer in a multiple ticket situation, but you were just really unlucky here and unless Insel feels generous, you're stuck eating those additional costs.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
No flight insurance?

This is what happens when you don't set up all flights through the same company. If you had, they would have covered the hotel stay until the next available flight (even with a different airline as they have a code to do so or through codeshare). At this point all they will give you is a voucher towards a future flight.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure neither of these airlines are going to throw you a bone. They're not technically responsible if they are not working in code share, and you booked them together under one set. I'm not even sure if you'll get that voucher, to be honest.

Try contacting them anyways, sometimes you can get a break in these situations. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Thank you guys
From now on I'm gonna get traveller's insurance if I have to do it again.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,122 times
Wait......$1200 to change a flight? I thought it usually costs around $150 to do this with most carriers?

How in the world too did you have to wait 3 days? That makes no sense? Barring a blizzard dumping 2 feet of snow or a full blown hurricane, ive never heard of anyone being delayed 3 days when flying.

You should absolutely get on the phone with Insel Air. Since this is NOT a weather related delay, they should be obligated to reimburse you for all expenses at the very least.

Right?

This is a perfect example of why I bend over backwards to NOT fly the airlines and will fly myself or drive when I go on vacation. Luckily all the places I'm interested in visiting are within 1500 miles of my front door so am able to get there under my own power.

Last edited by papafox; 08-25-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
Happened to me when I travelled from St. Petersburg-Moscow-Singapore. Took Siberian Air from SPb to Moscow and Singapore Airlines from Moscow to Singapore.

We had a delayed flight from SPb to Moscow resulting to a missed flight to Singapore. It was the fault of Siberian Air so they were the first one I apporached. All they provided was a letter stating the cause of delay of their flight. I immediately called the SQ (Singapore Air) customer service in Moscow and they are helpful enough to accomodate me in the next available flight which is the next day already. Approached again the Siberian Air taking my chance if they can provide me a 1 night hotel accomodation for free which they refused Well, since it was a business trip, that 1 night hotel accomodation wasn't really my concern. Otherwise, I would probably insist for a free hotel accomodation!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
As already said if your flights are booked separatedly and not on code-sharing airlines and then the first airline has not responsibility for your missing your second flight.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As already said if your flights are booked separatedly and not on code-sharing airlines and then the first airline has not responsibility for your missing your second flight.
This.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
I think that one of the best options is to claim with some claim firm. I know this from my own previous experience and I didn't regret it. Here's a link from refund.me [url]http://www.refund.me/en/[/url]
Hope it could help! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel