U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You're wrong. They already waive these fees as a benefit for having frequent guest status with them. For example Hilton and Marriott waive Internet fees and more. IHG waives resort fees, gives free local phone calls and WiFi, and a few other things to those with status.

You don't have to ask for it to be waived, it's automatic just like the welcome gift and upgrade.

If anything the hotels are getting more generous with their frequent guest programs. (They have raised the number of points to redeem free rooms, but many of us have so many that we donate a weeks worth to charity every year.)
I agree. I have status with both Marriott and Hilton I get lots and lots of extras for free that the average leisure traveler won't get without a fee. Most hotel brands keep changing the point structure so you do need more points to redeem free nights but for frequent travelers, this is a non-issue. Just like with the airline fees, this will affect the leisure traveler more than the frequent travelers. I am not concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,762,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
We've run into this with Red Roof Inn. Their policy is to charge you $1.50 per night as an extra fee to use the safe. You can get out of it if you tell them you didn't use the safe, but only if you go up at check-out and get them to change the bill.

If you try to tell them you don't want to use it at check-in, they spout something along the lines of this (which was on TripAdvisor as a response to a complaint):

So clearly a cash grab. Hard to believe it's worth it for them.
It's worth it if their customers accept it. It's a 2-3% upcharge, more than likely. 100 rooms per night x 365 days X $1.50 = $54,750/yr (easily the cost of 2-3 employees) for nothing more than adding a line item. But, then again, it's hard to believe that RRI can charge more than $5 a night in total for their flea bag rooms. I'd rather sleep in my car.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,762,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree. I have status with both Marriott and Hilton I get lots and lots of extras for free that the average leisure traveler won't get without a fee. Most hotel brands keep changing the point structure so you do need more points to redeem free nights but for frequent travelers, this is a non-issue. Just like with the airline fees, this will affect the leisure traveler more than the frequent travelers. I am not concerned.
Well, none of this has anything to do with the ethics of making the charges without the proper consent of the customer. For instance, if I don't specifically sign up for high speed Internet service, I don't have to pay for it. This is much different than charging a fee for a safe or some other stupid amenity that was not requested. If they must charge an extra fee, they should just include it in the price of the room rather than itemizing it. Furthermore, the cost needs to be presented at the point of the reservation rather than at the front desk upon arrival.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:53 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
We've run into this with Red Roof Inn. Their policy is to charge you $1.50 per night as an extra fee to use the safe. You can get out of it if you tell them you didn't use the safe, but only if you go up at check-out and get them to change the bill.

If you try to tell them you don't want to use it at check-in, they spout something along the lines of this (which was on TripAdvisor as a response to a complaint):

So clearly a cash grab. Hard to believe it's worth it for them.
Let's see: 350 properties. Let's say an average of 80 rooms per property. Let's say an average of 65% occupied rooms per night. Let's say 50% don't notice or bother to remove the $1.50/night. That's nearly $5 million dollars for doing nothing. Cash grad indeed, but it's worth it. (and I'd guess my % are low.)

And guess what? I've just found that SOME of the Red Roof's charge $3.50/night for that safe. http://www.redroof.com/property/Orla...er-I-4/RRI200/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Furthermore, the cost needs to be presented at the point of the reservation rather than at the front desk upon arrival.
It is included in the policies of each hotel on their website. I knew about it before I checked in, I just didn't know that I couldn't get rid of it until I checked out.

One more reason we prefer La Quinta when we travel with our dog, or just need a one night road stop.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, none of this has anything to do with the ethics of making the charges without the proper consent of the customer. For instance, if I don't specifically sign up for high speed Internet service, I don't have to pay for it. This is much different than charging a fee for a safe or some other stupid amenity that was not requested. If they must charge an extra fee, they should just include it in the price of the room rather than itemizing it. Furthermore, the cost needs to be presented at the point of the reservation rather than at the front desk upon arrival.
It is no different than renting a car: you opt out in person at the desk.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM

71,937 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
You're wrong. They already waive these fees as a benefit for having frequent guest status with them. For example Hilton and Marriott waive Internet fees and more. IHG waives resort fees, gives free local phone calls and WiFi, and a few other things to those with status.

You don't have to ask for it to be waived, it's automatic just like the welcome gift and upgrade.

If anything the hotels are getting more generous with their frequent guest programs. (They have raised the number of points to redeem free rooms, but many of us have so many that we donate a weeks worth to charity every year.)
Hilton only waves them if you are gold, not silver. Unless you travel for business it isn't as easy as it used to be to gain gold status. You seem to forget, the average traveler isn't like you. YOu are an exception. I will tell you, many people do not spend $20K a year and most of us have cards that do give us some perks: people can't get perks on all of them. You are referring to the business traveler without considering all the leisure travelers, people retired who make up a good part of the travel industry etc. We were gold with Hilton for years, still use the Am X from time try to stay in Hiltons, but it is getting harder and harder.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hilton only waves them if you are gold, not silver. Unless you travel for business it isn't as easy as it used to be to gain gold status. You seem to forget, the average traveler isn't like you. YOu are an exception.
Even if you do travel for business, it's still difficult to gain gold status. It's not always possible to stay in the same chain, depending on price, location, availability, etc.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM

3,932 posts, read 7,520,553 times
Three years ago I stayed at a Days Inn. My first evening there, I was not surprised to hear the hotel phone ring - I was expecting DH to call, and I didn't carry a cellphone. Instead, it was the person from the front desk, calling to tell me that a man had been calling and saying he was my husband.

However, they would not put him through because he did not know my room number. Even with my consent, she "couldn't" put him through because they were protecting my privacy. She told me I had to call him and give him the number. So I did, knowing it would cost a couple dollars to do so.

When we got the credit card statement, we discovered that I had been charged almost $15 for that two-minute (or less) call.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM

468 posts, read 460,490 times
B&B is the way to go. Hotels are overpriced barns. Most of the time dirty only surface cleaned.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,302,041 times
Quote:
I disagree. How many people don't spend $20K a year for gas, clothing, groceries, entertainment, cell phones, various utility bills, car/home owners insurance, etc. for them and their family? Very few.
Most peoples Mortgage costs 20k a year.

Last edited by LIFL; 08-26-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or