U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:24 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, in a 75 bed hotel, the general manager serves both roles. And the price was 451 as the $7 fee is paid weekly.

Even the Super 8, a total dump, charges more.

Maybe I should have YOU call and let you keep the money you save me.(g)
I'd be glad to. I've always been able to work deals directly with hotels.

I'd also be looking at amenities offered such as free breakfast (I think they all do) fitness room, and in room items like microwaves, coffee makers, and fridges if I were staying someplace long term. Those items can add up to significant savings when pricing one place over another.

I agree about Super 8's, you couldn't pay me. A number of years ago I was interviewing and the position required 75% travel. They said that they expected us to stay in "cost-effective" hotels. I responded with something like, "Sure, Hamptons, Fairfields, Holiday Inn Express..." The woman practically passed out and said, "Oh no, we never stay in places like that."

At this point I was thinking, OK so maybe a step up, like Courtyards or Hilton Garden Inns (brand new concept at the time).

She continued, "We don't stay anyplace with a pool. Usually we stay at Motel 6, Super 8, and Red Roof Inn."

I ended the interview on the spot. If an employer expects this from an employee, they are going to be a crap employer. I shudder to think how someone lives at home if they think any of those places would be acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This! Another happy Hotwire and Priceline user here.

This applies to rental cars as well. I book my rental cars through Hotwire and Priceline, always, and save tons of money as a result.
OMG. Don't even get me started on rental cars. What's up with those fees? I have no clue

Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
My first Kuerig sighting was, IIRC, about a year and a half ago and a fairly new Indigo in Jacksonville. (Free stay when it showed up on the IHG PointBreak list and we were looking for a cheap weekend getaway when perfesser mouse was on spring break). Unfortunately I'm married to a fussy tea guy and we'd end up at the Starbucks across the parking area anyways so he could get his fix with a tea he liked better. He's the guy who loved European hotel rooms, smaller size and all, because we were largely staying in places that English tourists went for and a proper electric tea kettle was usually standard in them.

As for rental car fees, love the Amex super-CDW option that's like $25 per rental and valid pretty much anywhere in the world you'd want to drive save Ireland, Jamaica, and Australia. You're still stuck with taxes, but can refuse the CDW from the rental company that can run that much per day and feel confident Amex will have your back if there's an incident with the vehicle.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
She continued, "We don't stay anyplace with a pool. Usually we stay at Motel 6, Super 8, and Red Roof Inn."
For a woman traveling alone, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be able to tell your employer 'only interior corridor hotels' solely for safety reasons, and if they can't meet that low bar, then nope, not a healthy work environment where they care about employee welfare. And that group skews toward old style architecture where the rooms open right into the parking lot.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
ut Super 8's, you couldn't pay me. A number of years ago I was interviewing and the position required 75% travel. They said that they expected us to stay in "cost-effective" hotels. I responded with something like, "Sure, Hamptons, Fairfields, Holiday Inn Express..." The woman practically passed out and said, "Oh no, we never stay in places like that."

Let me make myself more clear. The local Super 8 properties are dumps. I have stayed in a lot of decent Super 8s. The one good thing about Super 8 properties is you get full cable, not just the local stations plus a dozen cable stations. As I do not have cable at home, it is nice to catch up on some of the shows.

If the Super 8 gets 3.5/5 on Trip Advisor, it is generally pretty good. Below 3/5, avoid at all costs.

Ad for your potential employee, I wonder if she was trying to impress you with frugality. Some job candidates make that mistake.

I might add that when I worked for Marriott in the early 80s after college, we stayed at either EconoLodges or Days Inn. No kidding.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For a woman traveling alone, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be able to tell your employer 'only interior corridor hotels' solely for safety reasons, and if they can't meet that low bar, then nope, not a healthy work environment where they care about employee welfare. And that group skews toward old style architecture where the rooms open right into the parking lot.
Exactly. With a few exceptions in very quiet resort towns off season (Meredith, NH is one) and in some areas Residence Inns, I will not stay in a hotel without interior corridors. Period. It's non-negotiable. I also don't like first floor rooms for the same personal safety reason.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OMG. Don't even get me started on rental cars. What's up with those fees? I have no clue
Not to be a smart aleck but the fees are clearly broken out on the reservation page when you make the reservation.

The way to eliminate MOST of the fees (except the state/local sales taxes) is to rent away from the airport.

To illustrate this, I needed a vehicle for one month plus one week (38 days). Renting at Sky Harbor Airport would have set me back $1250. Renting the same car in North Phoenix in a local edition branch brought the cost down to $665. The stadium taxes on the Sky Harbor rental was $250 alone.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Like I said, you call ahead and speak to the sales manager. That person will call back--it is in their best interest to do so.

If the Priceline cost was $57, I guarantee the sales manager would have matched that price for a long term stay. The sales manager has the ultimate responsibility for revenue, and they are the ones who can and do make the decision on rates. The manager often controls everything BUT sales, and sometimes is not empowered to make rate reductions, but instead needs to defer that to the sales manager.
You can "guarantee" it all you want, but those of us who have actually tried to do with respectfully disagree. That sales manager doesn't want to lock up at room at $50/night for 3-4 months. That eliminates it from the occupancy pool where they may be able to get more for it. The worst thing that will happen is they will end up with another booking from Priceline or whatever for the $50/night.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let me make myself more clear. The local Super 8 properties are dumps. I have stayed in a lot of decent Super 8s. The one good thing about Super 8 properties is you get full cable, not just the local stations plus a dozen cable stations. As I do not have cable at home, it is nice to catch up on some of the shows.

If the Super 8 gets 3.5/5 on Trip Advisor, it is generally pretty good. Below 3/5, avoid at all costs.
Most if not all of those have exterior corridors, which is a ground stop for me.

Quote:
Ad for your potential employee, I wonder if she was trying to impress you with frugality. Some job candidates make that mistake.
LOL--I was the potential employee! It was the employer telling me the hotels employees were allowed to stay in.

Quote:
I might add that when I worked for Marriott in the early 80s after college, we stayed at either EconoLodges or Days Inn. No kidding.
That would be a deal breaker. My first travel job (100% travel) didn't care where we stayed as long as it was reasonable. The only people I can remember getting in hot water were a couple of guys who booked a suite at some swank hotel in NYC. They ended up moved without choice to the Red Roof in Secaucus as "punishment." To make matters worse, the company had a corporate rate at the Times Square Marriott, the "Riot Hyatt" in WeHo, and one of the Holiday Inn's in San Francisco. They were just pushing the envelope and got caught.

Most of us stayed at Courtyards in more expensive areas and Hiltons/Marriotts in less expensive ones or where the only other option was a Days Inn or something nasty like that.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,877,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Many people don't spend that much past their mortgage and car payment.
I did the quick math on a calculator, I spend about $400 a month beyond my rent amongst the categories listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Annerk's point was that you could achieve "gold" status at the typical hotel chain by spending $20k using their brand of Visa/MC. I haven't seen a bank yet that allows the usage of a credit card for a mortgage or loan payment.
Reminds of how Costco has a premium membership where you pay $100 a year, while 5% (or was it 2% IIRC?) of your purchases there is some sort of cash back. BJs and Sams Club have a similar thing there too. You spend enough money, the +$50 better membership upgrade pays for itself, and then some once you go past that. Because gasoline purchases even at a Costco doesn't count, most people have to use big ticket items like electronics, or other not as typical large purchases to get there. Don't get me wrong... There are folks who just plain buy a lot of stuff anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or