Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. How many people don't spend $20K a year for gas, clothing, groceries, entertainment, cell phones, various utility bills, car/home owners insurance, etc. for them and their family? Very few.

You really believe this, don't you? Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It is no different than renting a car: you opt out in person at the desk.
It should not be on your bill unless you specifically requested it. I never have to opt out of anything when I rent a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgourmet
It is included in the policies of each hotel on their website. I knew about it before I checked in, I just didn't know that I couldn't get rid of it until I checked out.
Was it specifically itemized at the point of reservation? If so, you should be able to decline the amenity before you even pack your bags.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
I disagree. How many people don't spend $20K a year for gas, clothing, groceries, entertainment, cell phones, various utility bills, car/home owners insurance, etc. for them and their family? Very few.
Many people don't spend that much past their mortgage and car payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Most peoples Mortgage costs 20k a year.
Annerk's point was that you could achieve "gold" status at the typical hotel chain by spending $20k using their brand of Visa/MC. I haven't seen a bank yet that allows the usage of a credit card for a mortgage or loan payment.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
I disagree with your disagreement. Most people live in reality.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Even if you do travel for business, it's still difficult to gain gold status. It's not always possible to stay in the same chain, depending on price, location, availability, etc.
I can't argue about that and it is getting harder to gain gold, I was just mentioning, for the leisure traveler it is almost impossible.

Our granddaughter's husband is a senior VP of a relatively large company: believe it or not, he doesn't get upgrades flying even when he travels to China for a week, which he just did. If he wants an upgrade he has to pay for it out of his own pocket. So the thought that some have; about business travel and perks isn't necessarily the case.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
This is such old news. They have been doing it for years. Just a repurposed article making it sound different.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is such old news. They have been doing it for years. Just a repurposed article making it sound different.
In some cases, you're correct. But Red Roof charging for in room safes IS a new thing.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our granddaughter's husband is a senior VP of a relatively large company: believe it or not, he doesn't get upgrades flying even when he travels to China for a week, which he just did. If he wants an upgrade he has to pay for it out of his own pocket. So the thought that some have; about business travel and perks isn't necessarily the case.
Airlines don't care if he is a Senior VP nor do they care what company he works for, whether he is self employed or working for a Fortune 100. Airlines care about status: how many miles he has flown with their specific airline (or their affiliated partners). If you have elite status with an airline, generally you get upgraded for free as space allows. If he flies to China once a year, he isn't a frequent flier and he is doing no better than the rest of the leisure travelers. If he is traveling that same route twice a month, then I bet upgrades come his way.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Airlines don't care if he is a Senior VP nor do they care what company he works for, whether he is self employed or working for a Fortune 100. Airlines care about status: how many miles he has flown with their specific airline (or their affiliated partners). If you have elite status with an airline, generally you get upgraded for free as space allows. If he flies to China once a year, he isn't a frequent flier and he is doing no better than the rest of the leisure travelers. If he is traveling that same route twice a month, then I bet upgrades come his way.
I believe the other poster's point was that his employer doesn't allow upgrades, despite being a Senior VP.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hilton only waves them if you are gold, not silver. Unless you travel for business it isn't as easy as it used to be to gain gold status. You seem to forget, the average traveler isn't like you. YOu are an exception. I will tell you, many people do not spend $20K a year and most of us have cards that do give us some perks: people can't get perks on all of them. You are referring to the business traveler without considering all the leisure travelers, people retired who make up a good part of the travel industry etc. We were gold with Hilton for years, still use the Am X from time try to stay in Hiltons, but it is getting harder and harder.
Hiltons might, but Hampton Inn's offer free Internet and breakfast across the board. They also have free parking in all but the most urban properties. I don't expect ANYONE to offer free parking in places like Boston, SF, NYC, Miami, LA, Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Philly, DC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel