U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,444,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I travel a lot and am tired of people who recline their seats all the way back. If it was up to me there would be no recline at all. The news is full of stories of passengers fighting over seat recline. I would solve it by eliminating that option.

What do you think about reclining seats on planes? Please take my poll.

I've flown over overseas 6-8 times, I've kinda lost track now. Several flights over 10 hours straight. 17 from LA to Sydney is my longest. Imagine sitting in your car for that long without your seat being completely upright. Why is being in a plane any different?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,836,225 times
I don't typically recline my seat. If no one is sitting behind me, or it's a very short person or kid I might take it back a bit. I come from a tall family, so I understand the plight of the tall on flights.

That being said, I really wouldn't mind too much if the seats could no longer recline.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,762,782 times
I have scoliosis causing back pain. My body has a tendency to slouch and so believe it or not, that little bit of room makes a great difference for me.

For those who may say, "not my problem, " i would also LOVE it to be "not my problem" when people take screaming kids on a flight at yet, this still somehow IS my problem. Why are my needs and people like us so different to any other obnoxious stimuli?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 PM

6,157 posts, read 6,326,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I would assume that since flight attendants make announcements regarding when seats may be reclined and when they must be in the full and upright position, that is the airline's way of telling passengers that the whopping 2 inches of recline space is indeed available for the person who chooses to recline.

Why would they make those announcements, and have the recline buttons, if passengers weren't supposed to recline?? And seriously, how much space is lost due to that whopping amount of recline?
I have flown 100's times and not once have I ever heard a flight attendant make an announcement saying passengers must make room so the passengers in front of them can recline their seats.

If the seat pitch is 31 inches or less I can not get my legs under the seat in front of me. Thus I have to sit with my knees against the seat in front of me. If the person in front of me tries to recline the seat there is no space for it to recline. I have yet to be tossed from a flight because because I refused to try to make my legs fit where they won't so that someone could recline their seat.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM

38,223 posts, read 14,933,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I have scoliosis causing back pain. My body has a tendency to slouch and so believe it or not, that little bit of room makes a great difference for me.
Do you bring a lumbar pillow with you when you fly?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
^Not sure if sarcasm.

It is how I feel. I don't recline. I don't really notice others in front of me reclining, guess it's not hitting my knees. I try to be numb and dead to the world and meditate and medicate myself off that horrible place until it's over. I hate flying SO MUCH.

Anyway, I think we should all be glad they haven't yet started to equip planes with the stand-up / backrest "seats."

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/i.../airbus202.jpg

http://www.travelandleisure.com/imag...skyrider-1.jpg

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncsta...bus_patent.jpg

Laugh it up, but I can see these becoming standard on short flights at some point. Let's enjoy a nice seat as a cushion against gravity while we can, eh?

After reading through the thread, I wanted to reiterate, I have no choice of airline and we are not permitted to pay for upgrades (if they even exist, which they don't on the Embraer ERJ planes I take often: http://www.seatguru.com/en_US/img/21...er_ERJ-145.gif) out of our pocket.
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I repped you.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
I sat behind behind someone who reclined her seat all the way the entire flight, even meals. I was about to ask her to fix her seat so I could get my t*ts out of my dinner when a flight attendant asked her to put her seat up during meals.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Once again an opinion. Where on the airline's website does it say the space belongs to the person in front? Does the FAA mandate the space belongs to the person in front? Has there been a legal precedent set in a court of law that says the space belongs to the person in front? What?
I don't know of any airline who will not side with the passenger who wants to recline--unless it is meal time. That's enough for me.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is because you have enough money that the marginal utility of $100 extra dollars isn't that much.

You're in a minority. A privileged minority. You just can't be humble about it.
I used to take the money out of my pocket to pay for the upgrade when $100 was a lot to me. I put my money where my mouth was. If I couldn't afford it on that trip, I dealt with it. I never expected someone else to compromise their comfort because of my wants.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think it all boils down to people needing to be just a wee bit more considerate of others. Both people have rights - the person reclining and the person whose knees are getting whacked. Everyone is packed together like sardines. There needs to be some middle ground here. I'm 5'10 and it is very unpleasant to have some person jerk their seat backward onto my knees or move the tray up to my diaphragm. How about recline it just a little bit?

As for the comment to upgrade your seat, that can go both ways. The person who feels the need to jam their seat back should feel free to upgrade as well. It's bad enough that a ticket costs as much as it does for what little you get, but then you have to deal with the dumb bag fees and whatever other fee that is imposed. So the "little upgrade fee" for a more legroom seat can be costly. Also, you don't know what people's financial circumstances are, so what is insignificant to you might be more signficiant to others.
Let me give you a tip. I go a month in a carry on. Stop packing so much and you won't pay bag fees. We ALL pay taxes and TSA fees.

Economy seats recline so little that there really isn't a difference between up and reclined. There is no real middle ground.

By the way, if you feel the ticket costs too much, drive. I guarantee that in almost every case it will cost more to drive there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or