U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Mine doesn't. And it's a 12,000-employee company.
My previous employer, a 45,000-employee company didn't neither.
I've worked with similar sized companies that did. Of course if there was a several hundred dollar difference then you got what you got. That seldom happened.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Annerk is also assuming one has a choice of airlines from their airport. We smaller markets don't.
The smallest airport in the US is probably Presque Isle, ME. They have two carriers, therefore there is a choice. By the way, they are typically within a few dollars of each other on any given flight.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Excuse me, but WTH are talking about. Cross county, NY to LAX is about 5.5 hours - not 12!!!!

And I'll agree with the others $100 is a lot of money to many, many (most?) people.
ROUND TRIP. And NY isn't the ONLY east coast market.

My next cross country trip is Orlando to Seattle, seven hours flight time in each direction.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Oh, no, I quite understand! But I've no doubt that Annerk would insist that her employer put her on a non-stop. In business class, of course.
Nope. There are few markets I can get to non-stop as I'm not in a hub city. My employer will pay for business/first class for red eyes when it is for their convenience or business need to have me back in the office the day I get back from a cross country flight. They also will pay for economy comfort/premium economy type seats when I need to fly a different carrier than my regular one.

They allow me to fly my carrier of choice unless the cost is considerably higher than the competitors--which is almost never.

Because of my status, I get upgraded to first class 95% of the time.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Who made up that rule...you? You are incorrect. It is just a matter of etiquette. Some airlines are now taking out the mechanism that allows seats to recline. When I flew a few weeks ago, I bought one of those little lunches. The man in front of me was reclined way back. My tray table was touching my knees. The flight attendant told the man in front of me to sit his chair up so that I could eat. He commented that he had a right to recline. She told him that I had a right to be able to eat without him lying in my lap. He sat his chair upright.
LOL--the airlines taking out the recline are the crap low fare carriers who give you less space than you'd get sitting in a desk sized for a first grader. They HAD to remove the recline because the pitch is so tight that people wouldn't have been able to get out in an emergency. If you fly one of them, have fun with that.

By the way--not possible that the tray table was touching your knees--the table does not move with the seat back.

There's a poster who works for a major carrier in maintenance who took a series of photos and posted them on these boards about a year ago to prove that.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
You can also pay for more room in 1st class or business class. It is not your seat to do what you want with it. The airlines leave people to rely on etiquette, but some airlines are taking out the mechanism that allows seats to recline because of rude people like you. Common sense should tell you that if the person behind you is eating or using a laptop, you should not recline your seat. Controlling people like you ruin it for everyone.
Learn the facts. They were forced to take the recline mechanism out because the pitch is too tight and wouldn't allow for emergency evacuation. It's the same reason that the seat in front of the first row at the emergency doors as well as the first row of emergency exit seating at any emergency door doesn't recline.

It has nothing to do with your incorrect perception of the facts.

By the way, unless the person trying to use the laptop is obese, it can be done with the seat reclined. If they are obese, that is not the fault or problem of the recliner.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Many of my flights, being regional, don't have first class. And I've not seen bulkheads or exits held. They're usually assigned before I get to select my seat assignment. You must be flying different carriers than the 6 I do.
Delta, American, UNited, US Airways all have a first class cabin on most regional jets--and have for several years.

By the way, usually bulkheads and exit rows aren't actually assigned, they are held for frequent flyers. If they aren't claimed at the 24 hour mark, anyone can book them. You can also ask at the counter at the airport, sometimes elites get moved up last minute and free up those seats.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
How exactly do you propose that? Do they put their legs in their neighbor's space, or in the aisle and then get yelled at by FAs?
I often stretch my legs into the aisle for a few minutes here and there, no one has ever yelled at me for doing so.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Height has nothing to do with reclining, ignorance does. You're invading MY space ! And I don't know how young you are but all seats use to have a reasonable leg room. And you can push the seat up from behind. I hope you're in front of me next time I fly.
Nope--in fact I was recently on a verrrryyyyy old regional prop that I probably rode on 30 years ago--seats were the same pitch now as then. Tight, but my knees still had a couple of inches. If anything it was my hips that felt squished--and I'm far from overweight.

Anyone who purposely tries to push my seat up from behind will end up with VERY bruised knees.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,847,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Delta, American, UNited, US Airways all have a first class cabin on most regional jets--and have for several years.

By the way, usually bulkheads and exit rows aren't actually assigned, they are held for frequent flyers. If they aren't claimed at the 24 hour mark, anyone can book them. You can also ask at the counter at the airport, sometimes elites get moved up last minute and free up those seats.

I do a lot of flights on Regional Jets and probably about 20% of the ones I fly on have a "Buisness Plus" demi-first class.

ERJ-14X and CRJ-200/100, some of the most common regional jets do not have this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or