U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,075,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's called a choice for a reason, and there is one. Those who don't want someone to use the recline button can CHOOSE to buy a seat in an exit row, a bulkhead, comfort plus, business, etc.

Ah, yes. Choice! Tell me again why I should choose to pay more so people can't invade the space I already paid for? I REALLY want a decent justification. I continue to covet my neighbors apple tree. (I can do this circular arguing all day-and you've been soooo convincing over the past 24 hours).

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,265,824 times
Quote:
It's not a secret, anybody can do so. Sometimes I need to get a 5:30 am flight to make it work, and then I recline my seat to catch some zzz's before the drive. My employer appreciates me saving them money.

No, not everyone can do it. It requires money and time flexibility.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM

4,582 posts, read 4,457,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Tell me again why I should pay more so people can't invade the space I already paid for? I REALLY want a decent justification. I continue to covet my neighbors apple tree. (I can do this circular arguing all day-and you've been soooo convincing over the past 24 hours).
Do you likewise think no one should recline in a movie theater? Are the couple of inches behind the person in front of you there also space you already paid for?

I'm not looking for your endless circular reasoning. I'm not trying to be rude. I truly just don't understand.

The main points that no one has satisfactorily answered are:
1. When posters talk about people who "recline back all the way," what are they actually talking about? I've never seen an airplane seat in coach that reclined more than a couple inches.

2. Why do flight attendants tell passengers when they must return their seats to the "full and upright position" if no one should be reclining in the first place?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Yep...Flown them to Savannah and Memphis. I try to use UA and they DO NOT HAVE IT
So there goes that notion to avoid someone reclining their seat in your face

Just for grins and giggles:

Memphis, TN (MEM)
Travel Time:
2 hr 49 mn
Distance:
946 miles
Flight: UA4100

Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS.

Aircraft: Embraer RJ145

Fare Class: United Economy (W)

View Seats
Flight UA 4100 from New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Memphis, TN (MEM) is a single-cabin, economy class flight. BusinessFirst or First Class seats are not available.
Maybe not on that route, but UA DOES offer RJ's with first class seats.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...5/default.aspx
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

By the way, the 145 has Economy Plus seats that offer an extra 7" of pitch.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...5/default.aspx

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Ah, yes. Choice! Tell me again why I should choose to pay more so people can't invade the space I already paid for? I REALLY want a decent justification. I continue to covet my neighbors apple tree. (I can do this circular arguing all day-and you've been soooo convincing over the past 24 hours).
Recline and you'll have the same amount of space.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, not everyone can do it. It requires money and time flexibility.
The cost is less.
The time is about the same after you factor in the length of time connecting.

Now what were you saying?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Do you likewise think no one should recline in a movie theater? Are the couple of inches behind the person in front of you there also space you already paid for?

I'm not looking for your endless circular reasoning. I'm not trying to be rude. I truly just don't understand.

The main points that no one has satisfactorily answered are:
1. When posters talk about people who "recline back all the way," what are they actually talking about? I've never seen an airplane seat in coach that reclined more than a couple inches.

2. Why do flight attendants tell passengers when they must return their seats to the "full and upright position" if no one should be reclining in the first place?

Movie theaters aren't as cramped, allow me to choose my own seat (and at no extra cost!), and tend to be amphitheater style. Plus, the seats don't make it optional. At 6ft 5in I comfortably fit in those seats.

1. I take that to mean reclining as far as the seat allows. Usually 3 or 4 inches into my leg space. At 6 5 I barely fit in the space before they recline. I don't after.

2. They are acknowledging the obvious-some people are reclining. I view the recline option as a courtesy comfort option placed there by the airline. People should be free to use it so long as it is not causing discomfort or inconvenience to the person behind them. Most people won't mind sharing their space, if it does not cause personal discomfort or inconvenience.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,182,875 times
Quote:
So when the airline upgrades you, you are required to decline a free upgrade? Frequent flyers get FREE upgrades.
I never have.
Quote:
By the way, most puddle jumpers DO have first class now--except the turboprops, in which case it's a 30 minute flight.
Okay, but not the ones I fly on.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Recline and you'll have the same amount of space.
So it is okay for my neighbor to the east to take 10' of my land, since I can take 10' of my western neighbors land? So excited! I AM gonna get that apple tree!!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,265,824 times
Quote:
The cost is less.
The time is about the same after you factor in the length of time connecting.

Now what were you saying?

You're making vast amounts of assumptions. I didn't say length of time, I said time flexibility. Big difference.

You have time flexibility to be able to take a different flight, not everyone does. I couldn't do a 5:30 flight at my last organization. I wouldn't have a way to get to the airport without taking an expensive cab that wouldn't be reimbursable (policy). Public transit doesn't start that early.

If the only flights are at 5:30 and 10:00 am (often there are only a couple of options a day on a route), I'm not taking 5:30.

Plenty of people with kids couldn't get up and leave them that early. They may have to get them to school then go. Time flexibility issues.

You're assuming that this is all reimbursable, or if not, that a person has the ability to just pay out of pocket. Another huge assumption.

You're also making the assumption that reimbursement policies and travel booking policies are rational. They often are not. For instance, it is often for me cheaper to take one r/t flight and stay over, than flying in and out the same day due to the different flight costs. But no can do, there is a policy against paying for people staying over if the meetings end by X:XX PM. Not rational, but not uncommon.

I'm saying a lot. It just isn't sinking in to you. Most people don't have the money you have. Most people don't and can't put 20k on a credit card a year. And most people don't have companies that are as flexible as yours. You don't live in the world most people do.

The only problem with that IS THAT YOU DON'T GET THAT OR REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or