U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Movie theaters aren't as cramped, allow me to choose my own seat (and at no extra cost!), and tend to be amphitheater style. Plus, the seats don't make it optional. At 6ft 5in I comfortably fit in those seats.

1. I take that to mean reclining as far as the seat allows. Usually 3 or 4 inches into my leg space. At 6 5 I barely fit in the space before they recline. I don't after.

2. They are acknowledging the obvious-some people are reclining. I view the recline option as a courtesy comfort option placed there by the airline. People should be free to use it so long as it is not causing discomfort or inconvenience to the person behind them. Most people won't mind sharing their space, if it does not cause personal discomfort or inconvenience.
Economy seats do not recline 3-4" at the top--let alone at the bottom. The typical coach seat reclines at the top 5-7 degrees. Down near the seat, the space is less than an inch or so. If you don't understand the math, pull out the protractor you've had stashed in your desk drawer since 4th grade math to help you.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I never have. Okay, but not the ones I fly on.
Then perhaps you should choose a different carrier if more space is important to you. US/AA, UA/CA, and DL--the three major US carriers with RJ's--all have first in at least some of their RJ's. Those without first generally ahve extra legroom seats which are free to choose for FF's, and a small fee applies to others.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're making vast amounts of assumptions. I didn't say length of time, I said time flexibility. Big difference.

You have time flexibility to be able to take a different flight, not everyone does. I couldn't do a 5:30 flight at my last organization. I wouldn't have a way to get to the airport without taking an expensive cab that wouldn't be reimbursable (policy). Public transit doesn't start that early.

If the only flights are at 5:30 and 10:00 am (often there are only a couple of options a day on a route), I'm not taking 5:30.

Plenty of people with kids couldn't get up and leave them that early. They may have to get them to school then go. Time flexibility issues.

You're assuming that this is all reimbursable, or if not, that a person has the ability to just pay out of pocket. Another huge assumption.

You're also making the assumption that reimbursement policies and travel booking policies are rational. They often are not. For instance, it is often for me cheaper to take one r/t flight and stay over, than flying in and out the same day due to the different flight costs. But no can do, there is a policy against paying for people staying over if the meetings end by X:XX PM. Not rational, but not uncommon.

I'm saying a lot. It just isn't sinking in to you. Most people don't have the money you have. Most people don't and can't put 20k on a credit card a year. And most people don't have companies that are as flexible as yours. You don't live in the world most people do.

The only problem with that IS THAT YOU DON'T GET THAT OR REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND THAT.
The policies I am stating have applied at every company I've ever worked for, from over 50,000 employees to under 10.

Additionally when they've been shown a way to save money, they have all revised corporate travel policies.

As far as kids go, either my spouse or I were always home with our kid. When we both traveled, we had a nanny. We did what we needed to do.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,092,994 times
Stop it already. "There isn't enough space?" They should MAKE enough space. I hardly ever fly, and if it's like this, I don't know that I'd be in any hurry to. We may not be in a Lear Jet flying with the jet setters, but gee whiz, a person has to stretch their legs a little, make the space--and no, don't increase rates either. We're not sardines in a can here, be decent about it. (I'm referring to how the planes are designed.)

Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,250,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The policies I am stating have applied at every company I've ever worked for, from over 50,000 employees to under 10.

Additionally when they've been shown a way to save money, they have all revised corporate travel policies.

As far as kids go, either my spouse or I were always home with our kid. When we both traveled, we had a nanny. We did what we needed to do.

Oh yeah, they should just go get a nanny.

Hey everyone, if you're having child care issues, just get a nanny!

You still don't see that you don't live in the world most people do. Unbelievable.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,074,199 times
Quote:
Economy seats do not recline 3-4" at the top--let alone at the bottom. The typical coach seat reclines at the top 5-7 degrees. Down near the seat, the space is less than an inch or so. If you don't understand the math, pull out the protractor you've had stashed in your desk drawer since 4th grade math to help you.

At my height, that 3-4" at the top, or since you prefer to measure from the bottom, 1-2" from the bottom, makes all the difference.

I have a hard time even putting down the tray. It nearly rests on my knees.

I don't want to give up one iota of the space I paid for.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Stop it already. "There isn't enough space?" They should MAKE enough space. I hardly ever fly, and if it's like this, I don't know that I'd be in any hurry to. We may not be in a Lear Jet flying with the jet setters, but gee whiz, a person has to stretch their legs a little, make the space--and no, don't increase rates either. We're not sardines in a can here, be decent about it. (I'm referring to how the planes are designed.)
Typical You want more space but don't want to pay for it. How then, do you propose it happens?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
At my height, that 3-4" at the top, or since you prefer to measure from the bottom, 1-2" from the bottom, makes all the difference.

I have a hard time even putting down the tray. It nearly rests on my knees.

I don't want to give up one iota of the space I paid for.
How can it rest on your knees? The table comes down and is at 90 degrees regardless of whether the seat is upright or reclined. By the way, it's not 2". It's maybe one. Do the math.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,923,490 times
Time to put a fork in this thread.....as most posts in the travel forum go they are taken over by one who knows it all and must always have the very last word
No use rebutting.....no use at all. I'm getting out my popcorn

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,074,199 times
Quote:
How can it rest on your knees? The table comes down and is at 90 degrees regardless of whether the seat is upright or reclined. By the way, it's not 2". It's maybe one. Do the math.

Sorry, I don't happen to have a seat with me today to perform the measurement. Moot point anyhow-fact is reclining eliminates what little space I have and causes discomfort. I'll keep the space I paid for, thanks.

Yes, the table comes down to 90 degrees. And it is nearly sitting on my knees. You really have no clue about being tall, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or