U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,070,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Time to put a fork in this thread.....as most posts in the travel forum go they are taken over by one who knows it all and must always have the very last word
No use rebutting.....no use at all. I'm getting out my popcorn

You haven't gotten it out already!?! How much more of a show must be put on?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,288,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Ah, yes. Choice! Tell me again why I should choose to pay more so people can't invade the space I already paid for? I REALLY want a decent justification. I continue to covet my neighbors apple tree. (I can do this circular arguing all day-and you've been soooo convincing over the past 24 hours).
You didn't pay for their recline space. You paid for your seat, and the amount of space that you get to recline into. If the person sitting in front of you doesn't recline, then congratulations! You just got a couple more inches of "free" space! But that space isn't something you paid for. The only time you would have paid for that space is if you bought a ticket on a plane where seats don't recline, in which case you also "lose" the space behind you that you could have reclined into.

You know EXACTLY what you are buying when you buy it. You KNOW that the seats recline, and that the person in front of you will likely recline their seat (especially on longer flights). You know that coach accommodations will have: a narrow seat width; a small amount of legroom; little storage under the seat in front of you; a small amount of room for a carry-on, and that if they run out of space, your small carry-on may have to be checked anyway; little options for food and drinks, which may require an additional cost; tiny bathrooms; and no choice of neighbors if you aren't flying with someone else and can't book specific seats in advance (and that person may be large, smell badly, have bad manners - fart, burp, or listen to their headphones loudly - or be coughing and blowing their nose the entire time, or get air-sickness and vomit the entire trip).

It's not fair that coach flights are so expensive, especially as the accommodations are far less than ideal. However, if you choose to fly, and you only purchase coach, then you are choosing to spend your money on in-flight accommodations that suck in exchange for a lower price than business or first class fare. If you work for a company that will only provide coach tickets, then you'll have to suck it up, or find a new job (no, that won't be easy, but those are still your choices). Otherwise, you can choose to pay for a seat that is wider, provides more legroom, has better (and often free) food and drink options, etc.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,219,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
You didn't pay for their recline space. You paid for your seat, and the amount of space that you get to recline into.

So the space right beyond the top of the seat, where my legs come out, is bonus that isn't paid for? Right. Hahaha.

Maybe they should have seat checkers like carry on checkers outside the gate. So everyone can have a line drawn on their pants above their knees so they know how much room they are getting for free. Maybe they can have a guillotine there in case those legs need to be shortened and checked.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
You didn't pay for their recline space. You paid for your seat, and the amount of space that you get to recline into.
The airlines clarify this where?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So the space right beyond the top of the seat, where my legs come out, is bonus that isn't paid for? Right. Hahaha.

Maybe they should have seat checkers like carry on checkers outside the gate. So everyone can have a line drawn on their pants above their knees so they know how much room they are getting for free. Maybe they can have a guillotine there in case those legs need to be shortened and checked.

That's right! Prior to boarding everyone should sit in one of those boxes to make sure they will fit. You know, like the ones they use to make sure bags will work for carry-on. The large people can be forced to go with checked baggage.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 AM

912 posts, read 859,231 times
The way people are arguing on flights over this (which, IMO is just courtesy), my prediction is reclining seats will disappear in the next 10 years on domestic flights. Just my opinion

Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,023,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
The way people are arguing on flights over this (which, IMO is just courtesy), my prediction is reclining seats will disappear in the next 10 years on domestic flights. Just my opinion
I'm hoping the airlines take note and do away with reclining seats sooner than that.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,219,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm hoping the airlines take note and do away with reclining seats sooner than that.

Amen. Atleast on domestic. They seem to make things less comfortable. My knees get banged and even if I try to recline to make up for the loss, the angle on my neck is incredibly bad.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,447,457 times
Here are thoughts from Ellen Degeneres on the topic.

Ellen DeGeneres: Thoughts on Plane Seating - YouTube

Old 08-27-2014, 11:58 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,842,638 times
FFS. Does anyone know if C-D has an 'ignore user' feature that I haven't been able to locate yet? I'd really like for certain posts to not ever show up. Particularly those from holier-than-thou experts on everything under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or