U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,442,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
God bless you! Now if maybe we all do it, she'll go away???
Don't hold your breath. People like that just have to keep yapping away, getting in the last word. It makes them feel important. Sad, isn't it?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:07 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That's right! Prior to boarding everyone should sit in one of those boxes to make sure they will fit. You know, like the ones they use to make sure bags will work for carry-on. The large people can be forced to go with checked baggage.
Or pay for seats with more space like obese people have to do.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,288,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Respectfully, unless the airlines clarify, my interpretation given in post 177 holds just as valid as yours, MisfitBanana.
I read your post, and I think it's a great idea if people would try to be as courteous as possible to one another, especially when in a crowded situation (like economy/coach seating on an airplane).

However, I don't think your interpretation is as valid. Airlines advertise the ability of their seats to recline - they even advertise how much more recline their preferred seating/business/first class options have over their other options. The reclining ability of their seats is advertised as a selling point - not a mere option the passenger has if it won't infringe on someone else wanting to use their laptop or have more leg room. Moreover, they specifically have banned products that keep a person from reclining (some airlines have banned such products for over a decade). By banning products that keep a passenger from reclining, they are saying that the passengers have the right to recline and other passengers do not have the right to take that away from them.

Additionally, if you rely on courtesy alone, at what point does one person's right to courtesy outweigh another person's right to courtesy? How would the flight crew even mediate the importance of one person being courteous over another person?

The person who wants to recline is tall, or has a bad back, or can only sleep when they're reclined. Maybe they have leg circulation problems and need to be able to stretch their legs more. Maybe they just want to be more comfortable. Maybe the person in front of them has reclined, and the only way for them not to be totally squished is to recline their seat as well. The person behind them needs enough space for their laptop, or is tall and their knees will hit the seat, or they just want to be more comfortable by having more space. Frankly, an argument could easily be made that it would be courteous on either side for the other to acquiesce.

"I have a bad back, I need to recline."
"I have long legs, I need all the space I can get."

"I can't sleep if I can't recline, and if I don't sleep, I'll be jetlagged for a week."
"I need room to use my laptop, because I have to have this report submitted by tomorrow."

"The person in front of me has reclined, and if I don't recline, my legs are squished up against the seat in front of me."
"If you recline, then my legs are squished up against your seat."

The airlines aren't interested in mediating courtesy among their passengers. They are clear about the amenities they provide, and the vast majority of airlines provide and advertise reclining seats.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM

522 posts, read 556,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My father passed away over 20 years ago, and I was on my own from the time I was 18.
I'm sure he left you a hefty sum in his will. And if he didn't, and you were poor, then I'm sure the first thing you would've done with the limited amount of money you had is upgrade to first class seats. Money well spent!

Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,070,623 times
Quote:
So you are saying that your knees are higher than your thighs? Unless you spend the entire flight balancing on your toes, um, no.

As I said, no clue about being tall.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,168,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
It is only a matter of time until the airline industry faces it's next financial crunch. When it happens there is nowhere left to cut to reduce expenses. So revenues will have to be increased. I am betting reclining seats will be eliminated so they can squeeze another row of seats in. It is that or increase fees. The flying public has shown time and time again they would rather be inconvenienced than pay even 5 dollars more for a ticket
Possibly. Fares are way up this year, and every plane is full. There is no real reason we should experience inflation in everything but airfares.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,070,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I read your post, and I think it's a great idea if people would try to be as courteous as possible to one another, especially when in a crowded situation (like economy/coach seating on an airplane).

However, I don't think your interpretation is as valid. Airlines advertise the ability of their seats to recline - .

They also advertise the ability to sit in their seats. Something that becomes difficult for some when the seat in front is reclined. Reclining is not a right that can be exerted over the others right to a small degree of comfort.

You are free to think as you like. Unless the airline says otherwise, my interpretation is as likely as yours.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:42 PM

88,096 posts, read 3,672,715 times
Reclining seats should not be allowed on airplanes. There's simply not enough room for this "luxury".

Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM

9,077 posts, read 8,357,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Reclining seats should not be allowed on airplanes. There's simply not enough room for this "luxury".
Our local radio station was discussing the fight that broke out the other day and the plane diverted to Chicago. When the Boeing 737 was built in the 60s, there was room for 100 people. These same planes now carry 200 people. There isn't enough room.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM

6,161 posts, read 6,330,453 times
Quote:
I don't know of any airline who will not side with the passenger who wants to recline--unless it is meal time. That's enough for me.
So are you saying the flight attendant will insist that I endure pain and quite possibly injury and do whatever is required to get my legs under the seat so that the passenger in front can recline the seat? The first time that happens lawyers from all over the country will be begging to represent me after I get arrested for interfering with a crewmember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or