U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,436,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, more often than not, they are indeed the ones complaining about space. On those occasions when I fly coach, when I sit down in my seat, my knees are usually touching, if not actually pressed against, the seat back in front of me. That seat will not be reclining no matter how forcefully you or anyone else presses that little button on your chair or how vocally anyone wants to assert his or her right to recline the seat. And I have had people in that seat complain to the flight attendants that they can't recline. Once the flight attendant comes over and sees how tall I am and how my body is situated, the complainer is basically told that there is nothing that can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
My experience is similar.

The basic ability to sit clearly trumps the luxury of reclining.
You'll get no sympathy from that poster. She'd rather you shear off your legs at shin level than complain about seat space.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:02 PM

6,159 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because recline has nothing to do with it. If you can't fit with the aircraft being used in the way it's designed, you don't fit. What is so hard to grasp about that? Armrests go down and seats recline. If you don't fit with those design enhancements in place, you don't fit, buy a seat you do fit into.
Just had an interesting conversation with the customer service department of a major U.S. airline. The person I spoke with had a good laugh when I asked him if a passenger that was not able to ensure that the passenger in front of him could recline their seat then he would have to purchase an additional seat or pay to upgrade or take Greyhound. He knew of no policy stating the space where the seat reclined to belonged to the passenger in front. Furthermore, impeding the ability of the passenger in front to recline their seat is not one of the criterias used to determine if a passenger meets the guidelines for only needing one seat.

It would appear to me that your facts are actually your opinion and nothing more. If you are ever seated in front of me on a full flight you might as well put your opinion in the overhead bin with your carryon as it will not do you any good in getting my knees moved.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,589,579 times
Quote:
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.

People who refuse to spend $3 more for a ticket to fly with a single carrier are penny wise and pound foolish. That loyalty will gain not only upgrades but also who do you think will get the seats on the next flight when one is cancelled? I'll give you a hint--it's not Tom and Betty from Iowa flying on the deeply discounted ticket--they'll be the ones sitting in ORD for three days with no hotel waiting for seats on a plane after a blizzard has cancelled their connection while the person who was loyal will be on the first flight out. If they have a high level of loyalty, yes, the carrier will bump others for that passenger when it's quietly pushed. I know this for a fact, I've had people bumped so I could get a seat.

Trust me, my carrier of choice cares a lot more about the $50K a year I spend with them than they do about the Hatfields who spend $183 pp on r/t tickets to Florida once a year.
Well aren't you just a little ball of compassion and joy I dont think I have seen such a selfish online persona before. You made friends on each of the previous 28 pages.

My employer could care less about my carrier preference. They want cheapest, end of talk. I'm pretty sure you meant to say "your" employer as there is no way for you to know what most employers want, its not something that I have ever seen measured, and its not really worth measuring. Making up points to defend your position and then presenting them as fact is very poor form.

On the plus side, I'm super glad you won't likely be stranded with me ever. Do you feel good about ruining other peoples plan? Does it make you feel uber powerful? I'd be embarrassed to bump someone off just because I feel my business is more important. In fact I would never ask since I don't think the world revolves around me. If I knew what airline did that for you, I would always try to avoid them for making that choice.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

374 posts, read 366,300 times
Any flight longer than 5 hours needs a seat recline, because people should relax, jeez. Any flight shorter than that shouldn't have a recline. I'm 6'5 and the worst flight I've ever had was on to Copenhagen, where this man tried to squash my legs and recline his seat. I simply didn't let him, as if I had a choice. My Mom tried to chew him out about it but I told her it wasn't a big deal, and that he wasn't getting space anyways.

It was a crowded plane. But every time I try and get an emergency seat on international flights that are crowded. If I don't (although I usually do), it really sucks for the person in front of me since I'll make sure they won't move back.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM

103 posts, read 100,796 times
I have no problem with people reclining. Traveling is exhausting. Sometimes people drive hours just to get to the airport, and then get on a grueling flight. People should be able to take advantage of the reclining option and get some sleep.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Cincinnati is a notoriously expensive airport to fly in and out of:
The Most Expensive Airports to Fly To - WSJ

I used to fly there direct from Connecticut and would pay dearly every.single.time. But never in the 4 figure range!

As a Cincinnati native, I agree. However, most of my family will fly out of Dayton, Indianapolis, Columbus or Louisville to avoid all the high fares.

What was amazing to me was that I could fly MKE-CVG-LAS on Delta for half the price of flying CVG-LAS when I booked some tickets for a family trip.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,164,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yep, they rake us over the coals. There was no difference getting in on Sunday. I only need to be there by noonish Monday so I just did the Monday morning. A connecting flight on Sunday didn't lower it too much and the company discourages connecting if not necessary. I have to be back Wednesday morning.

Yes, drugs.
I got $944 for the routing with no stops and about $400 with one stop. Coach roundtrip. Expedia.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,164,700 times
Quote:
My parents were far from rich, and I received some books and personal effects from my fathers estate.

There's a difference between being poor and budgeting for air travel. Poor people take Greyhound. People who can afford to take vacations that involve flying can choose their carrier and spend the extra money for a seat with extra leg room.
Hmm. I can afford a lot of things, but I can't really afford international business class. ORD LHR ORD $22,000 for a family of four.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yep, they rake us over the coals. There was no difference getting in on Sunday. I only need to be there by noonish Monday so I just did the Monday morning. A connecting flight on Sunday didn't lower it too much and the company discourages connecting if not necessary. I have to be back Wednesday morning.

Yes, drugs.
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Cincinnati (CVG) - Mon, Nov 17
United Airlines, Inc. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Houston (IAH) - Mon, Nov 17
United Airlines, Inc. 1545 Dep: 5:30AM Arr: 6:41AM 1h 11m Boeing 737 Economy (W)
Layover in IAH 0h 44m

United Airlines, Inc. Houston (IAH) to Cincinnati (CVG) - Mon, Nov 17
United Airlines, Inc. 4357 Dep: 7:25AM Arr: 10:48AM 2h 23m Embraer ERJ-135/145 Economy (W)
OPERATED BY EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS

Cincinnati (CVG) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DAL) - Tue, Nov 18
United Airlines, Inc. Cincinnati (CVG) to Houston (IAH) - Tue, Nov 18
United Airlines, Inc. 4194 Dep: 6:37PM Arr: 8:25PM 2h 48m Embraer ERJ-135/145 Economy (W)
OPERATED BY EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS Layover in IAH 0h 48m

United Airlines, Inc. Houston (IAH) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DAL) - Tue, Nov 18
United Airlines, Inc. 3944 Dep: 9:13PM Arr: 10:15PM 1h 2m Embraer ERJ-135 Economy (W)
OPERATED BY EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $436.20
Total cost for 1 passenger $436.20

They can "discourage" connecting all they want, if I were your boss, you'd be connecting, like it or not.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
That's just untrue. In fact, I'm moving to another country and will be flying when I do. I have no money for luxuries like first or business class.
You are making a choice. That's my point. It's your choice, and if you choose to not spend the money on more leg room, that is your choice, but with all choices in life, we suffer the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or