U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Your complete lack of ability to support your conjecture, or disprove my own equally plausible conjecture (as delineated in way back in post 177) is fascinating to read.

How many times do you need to re-state the same thesis without adding anything to your argument? How thoroughly does the poll need to negate you (currently 82 against, 31 in favor) before you see you are in the minority?
I might be in the minority, but the airlines all agree. I have the right to recline, and you don't have the right to interfere with that recline. Deal with it.

 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Mine does. They take into account preference for carrier and schedule. It says so explicitly in the travel policy, as long as the cost difference is "reasonable" (whatever that means). Must book coach fare and pay for upgrades. No problem there; my upgrades all cost $0, so I gladly fork over $0.
Exactly. Most employers have this type of policy. Obviously if the difference is over $100 or so on a domestic flight, you'd better be able to make a compelling argument for it. The reality is that usually the carriers are within $10-50 of each other, depending on market and distance.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM
 
35,324 posts, read 25,282,210 times
Reputation: 32421
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I might be in the minority, but the airlines all agree. I have the right to recline, and you don't have the right to interfere with that recline. Deal with it.

How about you come and shorten my legs for me? I'd like to see you try. My legs aren't going to shrink. Deal with it.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, more often than not, they are indeed the ones complaining about space. On those occasions when I fly coach, when I sit down in my seat, my knees are usually touching, if not actually pressed against, the seat back in front of me. That seat will not be reclining no matter how forcefully you or anyone else presses that little button on your chair or how vocally anyone wants to assert his or her right to recline the seat. And I have had people in that seat complain to the flight attendants that they can't recline. Once the flight attendant comes over and sees how tall I am and how my body is situated, the complainer is basically told that there is nothing that can be done.
You should be forced to buy an extra legroom seat.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM
 
1 posts, read 674 times
Reputation: 15
Default Reclining Airline Seats

I believe that airline seats should recline and people should quit complaining. If you want more room you do have options, buy a better ticket and upgrade from economy or coach to business or first class. This is a simple solution just like when your hungry and super size your meal, or you buy a bigger car, house, etc. Lets also remember that you can take a train, bus, or drive yourself. People grow up and quit crying.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Well aren't you just a little ball of compassion and joy I dont think I have seen such a selfish online persona before. You made friends on each of the previous 28 pages.

My employer could care less about my carrier preference. They want cheapest, end of talk. I'm pretty sure you meant to say "your" employer as there is no way for you to know what most employers want, its not something that I have ever seen measured, and its not really worth measuring. Making up points to defend your position and then presenting them as fact is very poor form.

On the plus side, I'm super glad you won't likely be stranded with me ever. Do you feel good about ruining other peoples plan? Does it make you feel uber powerful? I'd be embarrassed to bump someone off just because I feel my business is more important. In fact I would never ask since I don't think the world revolves around me. If I knew what airline did that for you, I would always try to avoid them for making that choice.
I had someone bumped off so I could get to a funeral. Yes, my need to do that trumped their plans to go to Vegas to waste their money in the penny slot machines and gorge themselves at cheap buffets.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As a Cincinnati native, I agree. However, most of my family will fly out of Dayton, Indianapolis, Columbus or Louisville to avoid all the high fares.

What was amazing to me was that I could fly MKE-CVG-LAS on Delta for half the price of flying CVG-LAS when I booked some tickets for a family trip.
I do the same thing--I look at both TPA and MCO, even though TPA is a 45 minute longer drive. My time is worth money, but it's not worth $200 an hour.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:43 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Hmm. I can afford a lot of things, but I can't really afford international business class. ORD LHR ORD $22,000 for a family of four.
I'm seeing 2A 2C R/T for $6222 including all taxes in Premium Economy on Virgin Atlantic.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How about you come and shorten my legs for me? I'd like to see you try. My legs aren't going to shrink. Deal with it.
You'll find them quite bruised. Not my problem.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
 
35,324 posts, read 25,282,210 times
Reputation: 32421
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You'll find them quite bruised. Not my problem.

I'd make it your problem. If you physically assaulted me, I'd make it your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top