U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There doesn't need to be intent at all. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Your intent would be clear as I'd tell you loud and clear that those are my knees and to please don't hit them again. If you continue to strike me your intent is clear (not that it it needed).

And for you, I'd gladly do a night or more in jail to assault you back. People like: over privileged, elitist, smug, basically rich azzholes who think they are better than the motel 6 or greyhound crowd could use a beatdown every once in awhile. It would do you and society a lot of good.

My taxes pay to feed the kids that the Greyhound dwellers keep spitting out, even though they can't afford them.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM

522 posts, read 555,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are making a choice. That's my point. It's your choice, and if you choose to not spend the money on more leg room, that is your choice, but with all choices in life, we suffer the consequences.
It's not a choice that I have no money to upgrade, even though I work 12 hours a day.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
It's not a choice that I have no money to upgrade, even though I work 12 hours a day.
Do you smoke? Drink? Own a car when you could take mass transit? Buy clothes from other than thrift shops? There are many things we could all do to cut our budgets. we make choices. You are making one to move overseas. Your choice.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM

9,077 posts, read 8,353,931 times
Quote:
I always let the person know I will be reclining and give them a reasonable amount of time to move their stuff or legs as the case may be. A few minutes is reasonable, 10 minutes is not. If they are a jerk about it, I simply fling the seat back. Don't be a jerk to me when I'm trying to be nice to you. (Not you personally)
If you were trying to be nice, you wouldn't recline your seat. People have to scramble to move their stuff to accommodate your highness? Nope.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
I can't believe there are 302 posts about reclining seats on airplanes. Apparently many people feel very passionate about what seems like a rather trivial subject to me

Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,069,411 times
Quote:
I might be in the minority, but the airlines all agree. I have the right to recline, and you don't have the right to interfere with that recline. Deal with it.

Actually they don't agree with you at all. As evidenced by:
1. Previous posters question to an airline service department.
2. Their actions. Readers: Please raise your hand if you have ever seen the crew insist that someone can recline when the person behind them is tall enough it negatively impacts their comfort.

I'm betting I don't see many hands go up...

I'll stick with my belief stated in post 177, and still not disproven by you over 100 posts later.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:30 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,513,371 times
[quote=annerk;36240834]Knee Defenders are prohibited on most airlines. If someone wants more space, they should simply pay for it.

If my flight is between 7:00 am or so and 8:00 pm or so, I rarely recline. If it's very early am or late evening or red eye, I recline--although not during a meal service. I almost always get upgrades, when I know it won't happen, I pay for them if it's a flight over a couple hours in length.

By the way, the guy in that article was being an ass. She shouldn't have thrown the water at him, but he was the root cause and a total ass. He should be put on the no fly list for interfering with the command of the flight attendant.[/quote]

^^^THIS^^^

I totally agree with annerk.

This is another example of how one jerkoff causes problems for everyone else.

Who the f*** is he to decide whether or not she can recline in a seat that she has paid for?

If she reclined and ended up in his lap or seriously encroached on him, then he would have a gripe but to totally block her from reclining at all earns him a well deserved asshat award.

Also, there should be a poll option for those of us who would recline but not to the point of being rude or too intrusive.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,058,662 times
As a 6-3 guy I never put my seat back out of courtesy for the person behind me. I think taller people especially have an appreciation for legroom on planes since it's typically a much more unpleasant experience for us.

My dad is 6-5 with restless leg syndrome and he was on a flight once where the passenger in front of him put his seat back. Well my dad was kicking the crap out of his seat and the guy kept looking back at him as if he wanted to pick a fight. It was a long flight for him.

I personally always get an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs out there. I do have to constantly move them for the beverage cart or for all the people who have to use the lavatory, but it gets me through the flight. I did an 8 1/2 hour flight to Honolulu once thinking it would be cool to have a window seat as we descended. It was not cool at all. I sat next to a 300-lb lady who sat with her legs far apart and had onion breath. I was pressed against the window the whole trip. I'm never doing that again.

I've found interestingly enough that the people who usually put their seats back are small adults or children who are excited to be flying on an airplane. I think for the latter group it's more so for the gadget aspect of playing with the seat than an actual need to recline, but I don't get why the small adults do it. Maybe it's because they've never had to think about having enough space. I find this behavior rude.

I don't think legroom is a luxury that should cost more. That's not a first-class amenity. Airlines either need to create more legroom on flights, which obviously won't happen because that would mean less passengers and less money. Or they can ensure a level playing field by not letting the seats recline for anyone in coach since some people don't have any regard for others.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,069,411 times
Hmm. 1.5hrs since post 306 and no hands have gone up yet...

Has anyone seen airline staff insist on a right to recline when the rear seat persons comfort is impacted? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM

6,159 posts, read 6,328,662 times
Quote:
I might be in the minority, but the airlines all agree. I have the right to recline, and you don't have the right to interfere with that recline. Deal with it.
That odd. The airline I spoke with yesterday was unaware of anyone having the "right" to recline their seat. I have flown 100's of times and not once has a flight attendant told me I need to move my knees so that the passenger in front can recline. Not once have I ever heard a flight attendant tell any other passenger to move their knees to let the passenger in front recline. Not once have I heard a flight attendant tell a passenger he was too tall to sit in that seat. Not once have I ever heard a flight attendant tell a tall passenger he had to either buy a second seat or get off the plane. Not once have I ever heard a flight attendant tell a passenger to do something because another passenger said that is how it has to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or