U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Reputation: 13020

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Great. One hand up. I never have. We're tied!

Was that because the person behind wanted to use their laptop? Or because they had inadequate leg room to allow it?
Once it was a guy who claimed his legs were too long, the FA told him to sit up straight and then helped the lady in front recline, despite his whining. Once is was some drunk moron who just didn't want anyone "reclining into his lap." Once it was a two ladies arguing--the one was trying to put on makeup. Seriously. She claimed she couldn't do so with the sat in front of her reclined. The FA suggested she go to the lav.

 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,073,372 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, wait. That will NEVER happen, because we live in a special snowflake society.
Why is it I am always repping you?
 
Old 08-29-2014, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
1,716 posts, read 1,592,033 times
Reputation: 4125
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I had someone bumped off so I could get to a funeral. Yes, my need to do that trumped their plans to go to Vegas to waste their money in the penny slot machines and gorge themselves at cheap buffets.
Ahh, Judgmental too. Actually, your response perfectly exemplifies the lack of connection with humanity, along with a strong sense of entitlement and a pinch of "my doodoo don't stink". So you had a funeral, the people you had bumped were actually alive. Brutish behavior even without the comments where you instilled your values on them. Some people have money to waste and enjoy gorging themselves at cheap buffets. Because you don't doesn't make you any better of a person. Its pointless because you will never see your behavior as wrong.

Last edited by Yakscsd; 08-29-2014 at 02:51 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Montana
522 posts, read 556,562 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nope. Choice.

Last edited by JoanCrawford; 08-29-2014 at 03:01 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Newport Coast, California
474 posts, read 496,334 times
Reputation: 1136
Tall people consume more resources, yet expect to pay the same costs? strange.

In a new era of conservation and sustainability, tall people should have humility to acknowledge that they are consuming more of the worlds resources and that an occasional inconvenience may befall them.

According to S. Matthew Liao, Human Engineering and Climate Change in a landmark study points out,

A way to reduce ecological footprints, then, would be to reduce size. Since weight increases with the cube of length, even a small reduction in, e.g., height, might produce a significant effect in size, other things being equal (To reduce size, one could also try to reduce average weight or average weight and height, but to keep the discussion simple, we shall use just the example of height). Reducing the average US height by 15 cm (six inches) would mean a mass reduction of 23% for men and 25% for women, with a corresponding reduction of metabolic rate (15%/18%), since less tissue means lower nutrients and energy needs.

25% less mass! Imagine the effect on fuel economy, on capacity of airlines. Yet the short people pay the same air fare, the same meal prices, even though smaller people cost less to carry and would happily eat smaller portions.

Human Engineering Size and Climate Change

Short is the New Green : TreeHugger

Besides, don't tall people spend most of their lives bragging about their height, usually at the expense of those shorter than they.

Maybe everything would be better if people just extended a modicum of gratitude for things and consider than in many ways, we are subsidizing each other.

For the tall person, try this: "Thank you for subsidizing my cost to fly this plane, if you would be so kind, I ask but one additional courtesy, please do not recline your seat to allow my large body the extra space to remain comfortable. I know you've already paid the same cost as me, though I use more fuel, but I ask this one further act of giving on your part to help me out. Thank you and good day"

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 08-29-2014 at 04:14 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM
 
15,603 posts, read 13,579,761 times
Reputation: 21425
I fly frequently and do not care if someone reclines, but I am 6'4", and many planes, more so lately than years ago, the person in front of me cannot recline because my knees are already smashed into the seat. I have never had any issue with this, I think most people have common sense, only the idiots get the attention.

Years ago this was not an issue, but the airlines kept shrinking the seat spacing, yet keeping the same seats; it ends up not working well for anyone. I remember years ago flying and there would be a physical gap between my knees and the seat in front on me.

Seat space depends on the airline and the aircraft model, but fact is the space has been getting less over the years, I think I read that in 2001, the average was 33 inches, now it is 30 inches, that is a loss of three very valuable inches.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,073,372 times
Reputation: 2564
But in this case the tall person isn't using extra resources. They are only trying to use the resource they paid for: The ability to sit in their seat.

As to your somewhat ridiculous argument below: Tall people do pay more for the extra resources they consume. My clothes are more expensive, my vehicle is larger-getting worse MPG. My grocery bill is higher. And, to add to my joy, on average I'll have a shorter lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Tall people consume more resources, yet expect to pay the same costs? strange.

In a new era of conservation and sustainability, tall people should have humility to acknowledge that they are consuming more of the worlds resources and that an occasional inconvenience may befall them.

According to S. Matthew Liao, Human Engineering and Climate Change in a landmark study points out,

A way to reduce ecological footprints, then, would be to reduce size. Since weight increases with the cube of length, even a small reduction in, e.g., height, might produce a significant effect in size, other things being equal (To reduce size, one could also try to reduce average weight or average weight and height, but to keep the discussion simple, we shall use just the example of height). Reducing the average US height by 15 cm (six inches) would mean a mass reduction of 23% for men and 25% for women, with a corresponding reduction of metabolic rate (15%/18%), since less tissue means lower nutrients and energy needs.

25% less mass! Imagine the effect on fuel economy, on capacity of airlines. Yet the weightist, heightist people running America charge short people the same air fare, the same meal prices, even though smaller people cost less to carry and would happily eat smaller portions.

Human Engineering Size and Climate Change

Short is the New Green : TreeHugger

Besides, don't tall people spend most of their lives bragging about their height, usually at the expense of those shorter than they. It seems that same sense of entitlement extends to the airline seat. A leopard can't change its spots.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Newport Coast, California
474 posts, read 496,334 times
Reputation: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
But in this case the tall person isn't using extra resources. They are only trying to use the resource they paid for: The ability to sit in their seat.

As to your somewhat ridiculous argument below: Tall people do pay more for the extra resources they consume. My clothes are more expensive, my vehicle is larger-getting worse MPG. My grocery bill is higher. And, to add to my joy, on average I'll have a shorter lifespan.
Your argument is fair, save one piece. On an airplane, costs are so variable, but they are socialized overall. The price paid is not adjusted for weight and size, both of which are a premium on a flight.

There is one size seat and likely the average you paid, was lower because an 11 y/o paid the same price you did.

I think graciousness would go a long way. Myself, being average height and observing short people, I have wondered if we engineered people to be smaller if the worlds resources would go farther, airline seats included.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,073,372 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Your argument is fair, save one piece. On an airplane, costs are so variable, but they are socialized overall. The price paid is not adjusted for weight and size, both of which are a premium on a flight.

There is one size seat and likely the average you paid, was lower because an 11 y/o paid the same price you did.

I think graciousness would go a long way. Myself, being average height and observing short people, I have wondered if we engineered people to be smaller if the worlds resources would go farther, airline seats included.

A fair point. Yet-if we were all say 10% shorter-the same would still hold true. The cost would still be averaged for all. Unless you are advocating paying by weight. In which case the tall folks might not make out to badly. Height strongly correlates but doesn't equal extra mass.

Anyhow, we are off topic. We need to get back on so Annerk can continue to tell me I am wrong.
 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 AM
 
11,286 posts, read 8,463,644 times
Reputation: 20516
They don't recline much so "all the way back" is misleading. If you've ever been flying for any length of time with little sleep and are sandwiched between two people then reclining is pretty much your only chance for comfort, which is minimal. I think they should book fewer people and spread the seats out some so people can be comfortable. We pay a dang lot of money to be squished like sardines and then we should be grateful to the airline? Um...no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top