U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,602,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Knee Defenders are prohibited on most airlines. If someone wants more space, they should simply pay for it.

If my flight is between 7:00 am or so and 8:00 pm or so, I rarely recline. If it's very early am or late evening or red eye, I recline--although not during a meal service. I almost always get upgrades, when I know it won't happen, I pay for them if it's a flight over a couple hours in length.

By the way, the guy in that article was being an ass. She shouldn't have thrown the water at him, but he was the root cause and a total ass. He should be put on the no fly list for interfering with the command of the flight attendant.
Well then they shouldn't recline their seats, thats the same argument.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I don't mind if someone reclines, I just wish they'd give a heads up and ease the seat back, not fling it back. It's so rude. That way, I can remove my beverage from the tray table while they're reclining so it doesn't spill on me. Other than that, reclining the seat doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm smaller and don't require much room. I truly feel sorry for tall passengers.
YES! This happens to me a lot, it usually seems to happen when I am playing with the tv or watching the tv. A good compromise would be to reduce the recline rate.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:47 PM

9,084 posts, read 9,534,549 times
I never recline my seat. That 2" of recline makes no difference to comfort.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM

405 posts, read 421,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
So what you are saying is that you only care about yourself and how much room you have. Selfish
Aren't the people that want the airlines to take away the ability for seats to recline saying the same thing? If you're flying with family, you will care about their comfort during the flight, but who really cares if somebody that they don't know had a good flight or not? Somebody sitting in 22A will not care how much room the person sitting in 26F has during their flight. This is proven every time somebody reclines and then the person behind them thinks that person has committed some horrible crime. The person reclining has the same right to comfort as the person behind them and yes, for some people, those 2" of recline can make a difference.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Well they don't on Ryanair.

Recline needs to be removed.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Quote:
Well they don't on Ryanair.

Recline needs to be removed.
if it is removed, I am perfectly fine with it.

but if it is there and the policy allows, I will recline 100% of the time, even if it is a 2 hour flight.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 PM

517 posts, read 570,223 times
Quote:
Well then they shouldn't recline their seats, thats the same argument.
Not the same argument. Reclining seats is a feature that is installed into the seats and therefore when you pay for that seat you also paid for the reclining feature.

If someone wants MORE space than what is allowed by reclining/not-reclining then they should get better seat.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,074,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Not the same argument. Reclining seats is a feature that is installed into the seats and therefore when you pay for that seat you also paid for the reclining feature.

If someone wants MORE space than what is allowed by reclining/not-reclining then they should get better seat.
I am the opposite: People pay for adequate space, incl. legroom, to sit somewhat comfortably in their seat. I view the recline option as a courtesy comfort option placed there by the airline. People should be free to use it so long as it is not causing discomfort or inconvenience to the person behind them.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 AM

517 posts, read 570,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I am the opposite: People pay for adequate space, incl. legroom, to sit somewhat comfortably in their seat. I view the recline option as a courtesy comfort option placed there by the airline. People should be free to use it so long as it is not causing discomfort or inconvenience to the person behind them.
Well I agree with you in that human decency and common courtesy dictates HOW that reclining feature should be used. That should be done in all daily, human interactions.

Maybe there should be a common courtesy to ask the person behind you if you want to recline. Of course there are stories of what sounds like very rude people REFUSING to allow the front person to recline.

And there are stories of rude reclining people. So goes both ways it seems.

People are free to use it though, even if in a totally rude way. Unfortunately these people exist in the world.

I usually fly Frontier to visit GF and I find their seats to be almost too stiff/straight in the full upright position so I usually recline. Other airlines don't feel that as much imo.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
To me it is rather clear: since the airline policy allows sitting, I sit. If the person in front of me thinks he needs to recline into my leg room, he should pay more to get an upgrade. His comfort is simply none of my business.
Actually your comfort is none of his/her business. They paid for a seat that reclines, so they should be allowed to use the recline function. If you choose a seat where the one in front of you reclines, you should expect that the person will recline. If you don't want the person in front of you to recline, choose a seat where the ones in front of you don't recline, or pay for extra legroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or