U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:15 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,442,099 times

Advertisements

I don't usually recline my seat, anyway, so this doesn't matter to me in the least. There are advantages to being only five feet tall! A little consideration would go a long way. If someone tall is seated behind you, and their knees are already pressing into the back of your seat, obviously you can't recline. Maybe that person booked at the last minute, maybe they haven't flown in a long time, whatever... If there is nowhere else for their knees to go, what do you do? Complain? Ask to be seated elsewhere? Or maybe you could just be adult about it, and realize that their need for leg room trumps your need to recline a few degrees.

Besides, it's not as if the seats recline a lot. (I'm happy about that; the last thing I want is some stranger's head practically in my lap! )

Old 11-06-2014, 11:51 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I paid for a seat with leg room. I should be able to access it. You should learn to play more than one note. Furthermore, I go FAR out of my way to make sure that you are not inconvenienced by my height. But it doesn't always work out that way.

Your one note is flat and off-key.
No, you paid for a seat with a reclining seat in front of you. If you need more space than what is allocated, buy a seat with more space.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,064,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, you paid for a seat with a reclining seat in front of you. If you need more space than what is allocated, buy a seat with more space.

One note ceaselessly repeated. No supporting evidence. Total Annerk!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Actually the evidence is that the seats recline. End of story.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:03 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,538,449 times
Default The airlines are to blame; they suck

Those damn airlines are making the seats smaller, less comfortable, and decreasing the amount of room that passengers have. This while allowing seats to recline. I don't think its feasible for seats to recline with so little space the airlines give now. They suck, creating these conflicts.

I usually try to be courteous of the person behind me, especially if that person is a woman or someone elderly. I don't recline, simply because I don't want to be in their lap. That doesn't stop some pinhead in front of me with the receding hairline from yanking his seat in recline as if it's his God-given right to recline with no consideration whatsoever for the person behind him.

I think the airlines need to increase the space so passengers can be comfortable again, and recline without disturbing others. Or keep unreasonably making the seats smaller with no recline.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Those damn airlines are making the seats smaller, less comfortable, and decreasing the amount of room that passengers have. This while allowing seats to recline. I don't think its feasible for seats to recline with so little space the airlines give now. They suck, creating these conflicts.

I usually try to be courteous of the person behind me, especially if that person is a woman or someone elderly. I don't recline, simply because I don't want to be in their lap. That doesn't stop some pinhead in front of me with the receding hairline from yanking his seat in recline as if it's his God-given right to recline with no consideration whatsoever for the person behind him.

I think the airlines need to increase the space so passengers can be comfortable again, and recline without disturbing others. Or keep unreasonably making the seats smaller with no recline.
I'm all for adding pitch to seats, even if it means jacking the ticket price by 15%.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
Quote:

The seat in front of you reclines.....

What further kind of evidence do you need. Would you prefer a PhD team to empirically determine it?

Lack of common sense - indicative of the bolt upright stiffs.

Fliers needing special accommodation and preferences can pay extra for it. Nonreclining bolt upright seats and horsehair mats for the ascetic - $20 extra.

That way everyone gets what they want.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:51 AM

15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

The stockholders would disagree. They want profits. That means shoving as many paying customers onto that plane before take off. Comfort can be paid for by those who choose to pay for it.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,064,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the evidence is that the seats recline. End of story.
The seat in front does recline. My car will drive over 100 mph. Should I drive over 100 mph in every circumstance?

The ability to do something is not evidence of when it should be done.

I continue to stand by my assertion made WAY back in post 177, which has yet to be disproven.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Movie theaters aren't as cramped, allow me to choose my own seat (and at no extra cost!), and tend to be amphitheater style. Plus, the seats don't make it optional. At 6ft 5in I comfortably fit in those seats.

1. I take that to mean reclining as far as the seat allows. Usually 3 or 4 inches into my leg space. At 6 5 I barely fit in the space before they recline. I don't after.

2. They are acknowledging the obvious-some people are reclining. I view the recline option as a courtesy comfort option placed there by the airline. People should be free to use it so long as it is not causing discomfort or inconvenience to the person behind them. Most people won't mind sharing their space, if it does not cause personal discomfort or inconvenience.
You can choose your own seat on a plane. Fly a carrier that doesn't charge extra to do so.

Your inability to fit into the space allocated with the person in front using their space allocated (which means reclining as the feature is part of the seat they purcahsed) is no one's problem but your own. You have an issue, you know it is your issue, take responsibility for it, don't expect others to do so because you won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or