U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2014, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Reputation: 2564

Advertisements

Until and unless the airlines define it better, my interpretation stands as valid, Annerk. It is a courtesy comfort option for when it won't cause discomfort to the passenger behind. The ability to do something is NOT evidence of when it should be done.

Do you have ANY proof to the contrary? Or do I get to see you re-state your opinion again?

 
Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Buxton UK
4,970 posts, read 4,514,015 times
Reputation: 2383
Seats on planes shouldn't be able to recline at all. Some of us are very tall with long legs and I can't even put my legs straight infront of my in economy already. People are getting even taller and bigger anyway through the years. You pay for a seat on an aero-plane and the airline is a business getting you from a-2-b not a hotel or somethin'.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Seats on planes shouldn't be able to recline at all. Some of us are very tall with long legs and I can't even put my legs straight infront of my in economy already. People are getting even taller and bigger anyway through the years. You pay for a seat on an aero-plane and the airline is a business getting you from a-2-b not a hotel or somethin'.
Careful, Annerk will spend the next several days repeatedly telling you that you are wrong. Without a shred of evidence to prove her stance.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 8,870,195 times
Reputation: 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Seats on planes shouldn't be able to recline at all. Some of us are very tall with long legs and I can't even put my legs straight infront of my in economy already. People are getting even taller and bigger anyway through the years. You pay for a seat on an aero-plane and the airline is a business getting you from a-2-b not a hotel or somethin'.
The airlines are in the business of providing a service at different levels depending on how much you want to pay for various conveniences and so on.

If you don't want someone reclining a seat in front of you, sit somewhere else. You, like the person in front of you, have choices and the choice they made was to get a reclining seat. Your choice was to sit behind them which makes the person complaining a sore loser. No one forces anyone to sit behind a seat that reclines to the point that they are adversely affected by it. The solution is simple, ante up and buy a better seat location. If you can't afford one or one isn't available for you, that isn't anyone else's problem, it is yours. Save more money to afford a better seat or take a different plane or flight.

The job of the airline isn't just to move you from point A to B. A bus will do that and if you need to cross an ocean, a ship or boat will do that. Just because you want to get somewhere quickly doesn't mean everyone else has to walk to your drum beat.

Your complaint is with the airline, not the person in front of you. Demand they not stuff the planes so full of seats that reclining seats make it hard on the people sitting behind them. The airlines of course would answer with charging more per seat to make money. There we come to the root of the problem, you want the least expensive seat cost and therefore everyone else needs to have a non-reclining seat. Well, too bad.

If you are tall and need the legroom, then buy a ticket in first class. It isn't anyone else's fault you are tall, it is you that have to learn to live with it, not anyone else.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Reputation: 8108
It's difficult for me to believe how selfish and entitled many people are these days. None of this would be an issue if people were: 1) more considerate and 2) had an ounce of common sense. Flying in coach/economy is becoming a more miserable experience with every passing year. Surely we don't have to be obnoxious to boot?

If people feel SO entitled to recline, let them buy a business class seat. Like it or not, the preferred economy seats are either not available unless you book your flight well in advance and/or they're only obtained via an extra cost. I don't care why the tall guy behind me has his knees pressing into the back of my upright seat; the fact is that it would be cruel and inhumane to recline my seat. Where are his legs supposed to go? He's not an inconvenience or an obstruction; he's a human being! A person should not be penalized for being tall, which is what so many of these entitled seat reclining whiners seem to think!
 
Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 8,870,195 times
Reputation: 11419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's difficult for me to believe how selfish and entitled many people are these days. None of this would be an issue if people were: 1) more considerate and 2) had an ounce of common sense. Flying in coach/economy is becoming a more miserable experience with every passing year. Surely we don't have to be obnoxious to boot?

If people feel SO entitled to recline, let them buy a business class seat. Like it or not, the preferred economy seats are either not available unless you book your flight well in advance and/or they're only obtained via an extra cost. I don't care why the tall guy behind me has his knees pressing into the back of my upright seat; the fact is that it would be cruel and inhumane to recline my seat. Where are his legs supposed to go? He's not an inconvenience or an obstruction; he's a human being! A person should not be penalized for being tall, which is what so many of these entitled seat reclining whiners seem to think!
If you pay for a seat that reclines, your ARE ENTITLED to that. You on the other hand are entitled to sit elsewhere or pay for a better seat.

If flying economy is your choice, then there we have it, your choice. Pay for a better seat with more legroom. What, you don't want to pay more? Who's problem is that?

Does the tall person sometimes have to pay more for clothes to find those that fit properly? Yes they do. So pay for a seat that fits you to and stop thinking that everyone else is rude because things don't go your way.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Reputation: 8108
It's too bad this poll is closed. After seeing the mentality of some people, I would definitely vote for seats not reclining at all. That would remove the entire argument.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Reputation: 12832
How is this even an issue? Almost always there are options for more legroom for those who want it.
 
Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Moscow
2,080 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How is this even an issue? Almost always there are options for more legroom for those who want it.
Why pay more when I already purchased adequate space? Until the guy in front attempted to usurp...
 
Old 11-08-2014, 07:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Until and unless the airlines define it better, my interpretation stands as valid, Annerk. It is a courtesy comfort option for when it won't cause discomfort to the passenger behind. The ability to do something is NOT evidence of when it should be done.

Do you have ANY proof to the contrary? Or do I get to see you re-state your opinion again?
The airline HAS defined it by putting in reclining seats! Why is that so hard for you to accept? If they didn't want and expect people to use them, they wouldn't offer them, and they wouldn't have little dings that tell you it's OK to recline once they get to 10K feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top