U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,781,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's difficult for me to believe how selfish and entitled many people are these days. None of this would be an issue if people were: 1) more considerate and 2) had an ounce of common sense. Flying in coach/economy is becoming a more miserable experience with every passing year. Surely we don't have to be obnoxious to boot?

If people feel SO entitled to recline, let them buy a business class seat. Like it or not, the preferred economy seats are either not available unless you book your flight well in advance and/or they're only obtained via an extra cost. I don't care why the tall guy behind me has his knees pressing into the back of my upright seat; the fact is that it would be cruel and inhumane to recline my seat. Where are his legs supposed to go? He's not an inconvenience or an obstruction; he's a human being! A person should not be penalized for being tall, which is what so many of these entitled seat reclining whiners seem to think!
Until the airlines remove the recline function, people have the 100% right to use it. Anyone who doesn't want the seat in front of them to recline can choose a seat where the one in front doesn't recline or can spend the money for an extra legroom seat. Until then, people can and should recline away if they choose to, and people who don't like it should put their money where their mouth is. It seems that they are the ones being selfish and inconsiderate.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 AM

72,340 posts, read 84,101,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Until the airlines remove the recline function, people have the 100% right to use it. Anyone who doesn't want the seat in front of them to recline can choose a seat where the one in front doesn't recline or can spend the money for an extra legroom seat. Until then, people can and should recline away if they choose to, and people who don't like it should put their money where their mouth is. It seems that they are the ones being selfish and inconsiderate.
sorry I have to disagree with you: yes, they do recline and yes, you have a right to recline the seat, but it is still inconsiderate to the person behind you, especially when they want to use the tray. So you are both right and wrong. I never recline unless in first class which is rare anymore. Unless you have an overnight flight or something, most flights are not so long that one can not sit up straight for the duration. If nothing else, ask the person behind you if it will bother them and recline just a little bit.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,550,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The airlines are in the business of providing a service at different levels depending on how much you want to pay for various conveniences and so on.
In that case, they can have reclining seats in business class and not in economy class. If people want a reclining seat, they can pay extra to sit in business class and get a reclining seat. And yes my argument is with the airline, and I don't hesitate to let them know what I think.

Quote:
If you are tall and need the legroom, then buy a ticket in first class.

It isn't anyone else's fault you are tall, it is you that have to learn to live with it, not anyone else.
It's not my fault I'm tall either. Tall people are tall entirely due to the "luck" of genetics. I'm not paying extra to go in first class because I am tall through no choice of my own. I can fit in economy class if there are no reclining seats in-front of me - I didn't choose to be tall. Your way of thinking is far more selfish than mine. Reclining onto someone who has long legs due to genetics is going to put them in physical discomfort but - you think that's somehow all my fault because I can't afford to sit in business class, something is very wrong with your selfish small minded way of thinking clearly... As you said yourself yes you pay extra to have more comfort - that should mean then all reclining seats in business class. Simple solution yes?

There's a difference between having basic level of comfort (i.e the absence of discomfort), DIScomfort, and luxury. So, people who want "luxury" i.e reclining seats, YOU go in bloody first class, K? I just want an absence of DIScomfort, and yeah I can have that in economy class if anyone else can, long legs or not, because I didn't CHOOSE to have long legs. Is any part of that really hard for you to comprehend? Yes.

Quote:

The job of the airline isn't just to move you from point A to B. A bus will do that and if you need to cross an ocean, a ship or boat will do that. Just because you want to get somewhere quickly doesn't mean everyone else has to walk to your drum beat.
Right so you're gonna tell me now how I should be getting somewhere. Listen bub I clearly would be flying because I need to be somewhere in a certain amount of time. I'm in the UK if you didn't notice, and going somewhere else in Europe takes HOURS, maybe over a day or two on anything else other than a plane, so pack it up already. Oh yeah I've got long legs and can't a afford a first class ticket so I should go on a bus or a ship, whatever you commie weirdo.

I can tell from your bad attitude, trying to make out that having long legs or some other physical situation is a matter of personal responsibility/choice bullsh!t, emphasis on "having more money = better person", individualistic attitude that you're probably some interbred republican idiot; but the funniest thing about you "conservatives" with your preaching and telling others what they should be doing when they don't fit your agenda, you're more like the commies you lot claim to hate so much. Listen love this ain't the 18th century any more, if people want to get somewhere and PAY even for a basic ticket, they can expect a certain basic level of comfort, if they want luxury, such as reclining seats, that's when they can PAY MORE and go in FIRST CLASS.

Last edited by MeteoMan; 11-08-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry I have to disagree with you: yes, they do recline and yes, you have a right to recline the seat, but it is still inconsiderate to the person behind you, especially when they want to use the tray. So you are both right and wrong. I never recline unless in first class which is rare anymore. Unless you have an overnight flight or something, most flights are not so long that one can not sit up straight for the duration. If nothing else, ask the person behind you if it will bother them and recline just a little bit.
ROFL! The seats only recline a bit! The people who claim that someone had their head in their lap are delusional, and I have yet to see someone post a photo showing this. They never will, because it's impossible.

I often take flights first thing in the morning (5:30 am) and want to sleep. Granted I'm usually in the pointy end, but even if I wasn't, I'm going to use what little space and functionality I have to my advantage and take a nap.

That said, I don't recline during meal service. During flights I've been on where there has actually been a meal service outside of first/business, the flight attendants have almost always made an announcement asking people to leave their seat upright until the meal is finished.

Anyone who can't put the tray down to accommodate a plastic cup or can with the seat in front of them reclined needs to loose some weight. It's the ONLY reason that tray won't go down.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
In that case, they can have reclining seats in business class and not in economy class. If people want a reclining seat, they can pay extra to sit in business class and get a reclining seat. And yes my argument is with the airline, and I don't hesitate to let them know what I think.

It's not my fault I'm tall either. Tall people are tall entirely due to the "luck" of genetics. I'm not paying extra to go in first class because I am tall through no choice of my own. I can fit in economy class if there are no reclining seats in-front of me - I didn't choose to be tall. Your way of thinking is far more selfish than mine. Reclining onto someone who has long legs due to genetics is going to put them in physical discomfort but - you think that's somehow all my fault because I can't afford to sit in business class, something is very wrong with your selfish small minded way of thinking clearly... As you said yourself yes you pay extra to have more comfort - that should mean then all reclining seats in business class. Simple solution yes?

There's a difference between having basic level of comfort (i.e the absence of discomfort), DIScomfort, and luxury. So, people who want "luxury" i.e reclining seats, YOU go in bloody first class, K? I just want an absence of DIScomfort, and yeah I can have that in economy class if anyone else can, long legs or not, because I didn't CHOOSE to have long legs. Is any part of that really hard for you to comprehend? Yes.

Right so you're gonna tell me now how I should be getting somewhere. Listen bub I clearly would be flying because I need to be somewhere in a certain amount of time. I'm in the UK if you didn't notice, and going somewhere else in Europe takes HOURS, maybe over a day or two on anything else other than a plane, so pack it up already. Oh yeah I've got long legs and can't a afford a first class ticket so I should go on a bus or a ship, whatever you commie weirdo.

I can tell from your bad attitude, trying to make out that having long legs or some other physical situation is a matter of personal responsibility/choice bullsh!t, emphasis on "having more money = better person", individualistic attitude that you're probably some interbred republican idiot; but the funniest thing about you "conservatives" with your preaching and telling others what they should be doing when they don't fit your agenda, you're more like the commies you lot claim to hate so much. Listen love this ain't the 18th century any more, if people want to get somewhere and PAY even for a basic ticket, they can expect a certain basic level of comfort, if they want luxury, such as reclining seats, that's when they can PAY MORE and go in FIRST CLASS.
Yet again another person who won't admit the truth. You don't need to fork over the cash for a business class seat to get extra leg room. Extra legroom seats in economy can be had for $5-50 extra depending on the length of the flight. if you aren't willing to spend the extra $15 for an exit row on a three hour flight, then you get what you get. Be proactive, pull up your big boy pants, and put your money where your mouth is.

By the way, you lost all respect I might have had for you once you tried to make this political. Last I knew, flying was a luxury, not a right.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 AM

For the record, like it or not, planes have seats that recline and people are allowed to recline them. Those who don't like it should probably find a different form of transportation.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,930,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Why pay more when I already purchased adequate space? Until the guy in front attempted to usurp...
The point is you didn't pay for adequate space, you paid for a space behind a seat that could recline.

All of this is very simple. If you don't want the person in front of you to recline their seat, then don't sit behind them, choose a different seat.

This idea that because one to is cheap to buy a seat where it doesn't matter if the one in front reclines or not is ridiculous

This is nothing more than making your lack of planning and financial resources or the ability or desire to make a better choice everyone else's problem.

It isn't the person who decides to recline their seat that is the problem, it is the person who sits behind them that thinks their poor seat choice that is the problem.

If you don't like something then why do you insist on imposing your dislike on everyone else? Sit somewhere else. Don't tell me you don't have a choice, you always have another choice, you just don't want to pay for that choice.

If the seat has a reclining option, it is the option of the person who paid for that seat to use it or not, not the cheapskate who wants to take away that option because the =y don't like it.

Pay up. If you can't pay up, too bad.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For the record, like it or not, planes have seats that recline and people are allowed to recline them. Those who don't like it should probably find a different form of transportation.
Exactly.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,591,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Why pay more when I already purchased adequate space? Until the guy in front attempted to usurp...
Well, if the guy in front of you is doing something that is not allowed (which I would imagine requires breaking the seat), there's really no issue, since you've purchased adequate space. How often is it really that someone reclines the seat more than it is physically supposed to? If you purchased adequate space, then a normal seat recline would not bother you. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

Great, end of problem, talk to the airlines, not take something away from everyone else.

No one said being tall was your fault but guess what, it isn't my fault either. Think about it.

You can fix your discomfort problem by either not flying or paying for a seat that has more legroom. The real problem in all this is that people like you just don't want to pay more. They want want want at the expense of everyone else. Good luck with that.

Listen Bub (you used that phrase) I could care less how you get somewhere, that is your choice. If you make a choice that causes you discomfort, I suggest you argue with the person in the mirror. See what they have to say about it. If you cut yourself I bet you blame the knife.

Reach as much as you want. Money has nothing to do with being a better person. Being a better person means not making your problems the problem of everyone else which is what you're doing. So you're tall. Big deal, how is that anyone else's problem? That is what you want, everyone else to accommodate you.

Tell me, do you ever slouch down in a movie theatre because your're tall so people behind you can see? I bet not. When you stand in line, do you ever consider the people standing behind you and move so they can see? I bet not.

I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't do. I am telling you that you are responsible for the choices you make. If you make a bad choice then tough luck.

Same kind of thinking goes everywhere. Always blame someone else for your discomfort or if things don't go your way.

I could care less that you don't want to pay for a better seat, your problem not mine. I pay for a reclining seat and I'll use it. This isn't your personal car we're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or