U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,380,359 times

Advertisements

I'll look back, and will usually recline just a bit at first. I don't slam the seat all the way back but I do appreciate being able to adjust the angle a little bit. Some seats just hit me wrong; neck, back, shoulders, legs...others are more comfortable to begin with.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM

38,213 posts, read 14,924,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
This is the type of buffoon I would seriously slam my seat back into on a regular basis.
I believe I sat behind you earlier this year. Where you the guy on the Delta flight from Atlanta last Feb. who got into it with the flight attendant over having to check all your various pieces of carryon because the overhead bin was already full?

I just assumed all the slamming of the seat back and forth had to do with your struggles in getting over that incident. But apparently not.

Too funny.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,927,573 times
I generally recline, unless it's a very short flight (say, less than 2 hours).

Trust me, I get more than a "modicum of comfort" by reclining. Reclining helps prevent my back from going into spasms. I recline slowly, giving the person behind me a heads up and opportunity to move a laptop/etc. I also usually don't recline the entire flight. I find my back does better if I can shift around and adjust my position several times, so I'll spend an hour upright, an hour reclined slightly, an hour reclined a bit further back, etc.

I usually upgrade and fly F or J on longer flights, even when it's at my own expense. The comfort and lack-of-pain is worth it to me. I realize this isn't a viable option for a lot of people, but I've chosen to make it a priority in my budget.

I remember a horrible flight back from Australia a few years ago, where the gentleman behind me, who wasn't even that tall, tried to prevent me from reclining my chair by jamming his knees into my back. He was slouched and slumped down in his seat - which caused his legs and knees ti stick out farther. The flight attendant was nice enough to help. She made him switch seats. She was able to find a seat where no one was sitting in front of him. It's been a few years, but I think it may have been a middle seat.

I agree that the answer would be to increase the pitch for all seats and increase fares. I worry about DVT & I also really hate how difficult it is for anyone not in an aisle seat to get up and use the bathroom.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 AM

3,099 posts, read 823,205 times
Sometimes it all gets a bit bizarre. A few years back I was flying during the day on maybe a 2 1/2 to 3 hour segment with my 5-yo when a petite young lady plopped down into her seat in the *exit* row, popped in her ear phones, and as soon as allowed proceeded to recline the seat back as far as possible.

Now if a five-year old is to sit back in a seat to keep her seat belt buckled during flight (yes !!!), she's too small for her knees to bend over the seat edge leaving her legs sticking straight out. Yes, to the back of the reclining seat. (A smudge taller, her legs would have bent downward; a tad shorter there would have been clearance.) And unlike the knees of a large man her relatively small feet couldn't hold the reclined front seat in place.

My DD was fine; no issue there. But, of course, as she shifted position the girl could feel it. DD was NOT kicking the back of the seat. The girl complained once, I explained. No seat retraction. Again, it wasnt *our* issue; no unhappiness here since I didn't try to tell my DD to try not to budge for 2 to 3 hours or insist she stay cross-legged for the entire flight.

The rest of the flight proceeded with the girl periodically glaring back at me to which I would respond with a helpless shrug. Back and forth.

ALL she had to do was bring her seat back up about an inch to get the clearance she wanted Weird.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Extra legroom seats are not always available. Not everyone has the luxury of knowing they will be traveling 8 weeks in advance. Is that something else your magical unicorn of an employer does for you?
My travel is often last minute, and very seldom do I not get an upgrade to first. Also most carriers hold the exits and bulkheads for FF's until 24 hours prior to the flight, at which time anyone can grab them at either no cost or a modest one--$5-25 or so.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your posts are ridiculously snideful. Did it ever occur to you that the majority of people A. do not travel weekly or monthly or even yearly? B. the majority of people don't think to research LEG ROOM for seats on a plane. C. the majority of people do not have the money to book a seat with extra leg room. I think the majority of people who fly can all agree that reclining seats are an annoyance, period.
I do believe poster is aware of these type of travelers. See post # 6, she referred to them as "The Hatfields".

Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Really, where does anything state who owns which space?

I paid for a seat with adequate room to sit in. Dimensions of said seat weren't mentioned in the literature I saw.

Why should I pay extra because the person in front of me wants to recline 3 inches? 3 inches that don't impact their comfort much, but greatly impact mine?
If you recline you gain that same space back.

On a flight where someone wants to sleep, that few inches can make a big difference.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,432,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I do believe poster is aware of these type of travelers. See post # 6, she referred to them as "The Hatfields".
How classy.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I believe I sat behind you earlier this year. Where you the guy on the Delta flight from Atlanta last Feb. who got into it with the flight attendant over having to check all your various pieces of carryon because the overhead bin was already full?

I just assumed all the slamming of the seat back and forth had to do with your struggles in getting over that incident. But apparently not.

Too funny.
I don't fly DL and I always board first, so don't have to worry about full overheads.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your posts are ridiculously snideful. Did it ever occur to you that the majority of people A. do not travel weekly or monthly or even yearly? B. the majority of people don't think to research LEG ROOM for seats on a plane. C. the majority of people do not have the money to book a seat with extra leg room. I think the majority of people who fly can all agree that reclining seats are an annoyance, period.
And it's my problem because they can't be bothered to spend two minutes figuring things out in advance, but then can spend hours complaining about them online later?

The cost to book a seat with extra legroom is minimal. Usually between $10-100 round trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or