U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times

Advertisements

For us unwashed masses, $50-100 isn't always "minimal", your highness.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you recline you gain that same space back.

On a flight where someone wants to sleep, that few inches can make a big difference.
Awesome! So, when my neighbor to the east grabs 10 feet of my land, I can make up for it by grabbing 10 feet from my neighbor to the west. That is good news! He has a nice apple tree I've been coveting.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
Quote:
And it's my problem because they can't be bothered to spend two minutes figuring things out in advance, but then can spend hours complaining about them online later?

The cost to book a seat with extra legroom is minimal. Usually between $10-100 round trip.
We get you're a well seasoned air traveler, most people aren't and have not a clue how to research these things.
I look at it this way by complaining on line perhaps they are also learning something from the responses for the next time they fly.

$100 may be minimal to you, perhaps not to others.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM

$100 is minimal for most people? What planet do you live on?

Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For us unwashed masses, $50-100 isn't always "minimal", your highness.
Not sure what to tell you. Let's say you are booked on a cross country flight. That's 12 hours in a cigar tube. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for extra room--that's $8 an hour.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:03 PM

14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Quote:
And it's my problem because they can't be bothered to spend two minutes figuring things out in advance, but then can spend hours complaining about them online later?

The cost to book a seat with extra legroom is minimal. Usually between $10-100 round trip.
It's not your problem at all, no one said it was. You however take it upon yourself to make it your problem & then turn around & lecture everyone on the do's & don't of travel, all while making it seem like you're so put upon yet you can't help but knock everyone down with the constant snide remarks, insults & overall condescending tone. I come on this forum to share stories & get advice from people, not get sneered at. Perhaps you could remember that the majority of people who travel do not travel for business & therefore are not experts & do not travel on a consistent basis.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Quote:
Not sure what to tell you. Let's say you are booked on a cross country flight. That's 12 hours in a cigar tube. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for extra room--that's $8 an hour.
That is because you have enough money that the marginal utility of $100 extra dollars isn't that much.

You're in a minority. A privileged minority. You just can't be humble about it.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM

10,762 posts, read 10,173,268 times
I think it all boils down to people needing to be just a wee bit more considerate of others. Both people have rights - the person reclining and the person whose knees are getting whacked. Everyone is packed together like sardines. There needs to be some middle ground here. I'm 5'10 and it is very unpleasant to have some person jerk their seat backward onto my knees or move the tray up to my diaphragm. How about recline it just a little bit?

As for the comment to upgrade your seat, that can go both ways. The person who feels the need to jam their seat back should feel free to upgrade as well. It's bad enough that a ticket costs as much as it does for what little you get, but then you have to deal with the dumb bag fees and whatever other fee that is imposed. So the "little upgrade fee" for a more legroom seat can be costly. Also, you don't know what people's financial circumstances are, so what is insignificant to you might be more signficiant to others.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,392,796 times
Quote:
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.

Mine doesn't. And it's a 12,000-employee company.
My previous employer, a 45,000-employee company didn't neither.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think it all boils down to people needing to be just a wee bit more considerate of others. Both people have rights - the person reclining and the person whose knees are getting whacked. Everyone is packed together like sardines. There needs to be some middle ground here. I'm 5'10 and it is very unpleasant to have some person jerk their seat backward onto my knees or move the tray up to my diaphragm. How about recline it just a little bit?

As for the comment to upgrade your seat, that can go both ways. The person who feels the need to jam their seat back should feel free to upgrade as well. It's bad enough that a ticket costs as much as it does for what little you get, but then you have to deal with the dumb bag fees and whatever other fee that is imposed. So the "little upgrade fee" for a more legroom seat can be costly. Also, you don't know what people's financial circumstances are, so what is insignificant to you might be more signficiant to others.

You sound so... REASONABLE!

Where is the fun of that when we can snipe at each other on city-data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or