Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Mine doesn't. And it's a 12,000-employee company.
My previous employer, a 45,000-employee company didn't neither.

Annerk is also assuming one has a choice of airlines from their airport. We smaller markets don't.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
I will recline as long as the person in front of me does. I rarely recline all the way though.

I would much rather have super stinky food like tuna fish and curries banned.

Shrugs. I just deal with it and get it over with.

Flying is awful. I have had someone steal from my bag as I napped, men pushing their legs wide and overtaking my space, kids kicking my seat, and more. I have had men watching inappropriate stuff on their laptops, and I just roll my eyes and ignore it.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure what to tell you. Let's say you are booked on a cross country flight. That's 12 hours in a cigar tube. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for extra room--that's $8 an hour.
Excuse me, but WTH are talking about. Cross county, NY to LAX is about 5.5 hours - not 12!!!!

And I'll agree with the others $100 is a lot of money to many, many (most?) people.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Excuse me, but WTH are talking about. Cross county, NY to LAX is about 5.5 hours - not 12!!!!

And I'll agree with the others $100 is a lot of money to many, many (most?) people.

You are assuming a direct flight from one major metro to another. Not a given. I assure you it would take far longer, with a few connections to get me across country.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I priced SFO-JFK on Virgin America where the difference between Economy (Main Cabin) and Economy Plus (Main Cabin Select, 6-in more legroom) is $500.

AA can upgrade your Economy seat to get 4-in additional legroom STARTING at $99.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You are assuming a direct flight from one major metro to another. Not a given. I assure you it would take far longer, with a few connections to get me across country.
Oh, no, I quite understand! But I've no doubt that Annerk would insist that her employer put her on a non-stop. In business class, of course.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I always recline on an airplane, because I have back/neck injuries and it is uncomfortable for me sit straight up for long periods of time. If the OP or anyone else doesn't like it tough crap. Either pay for more room in 1st class or find an airline that has seats that don't recline. (Good luck on that one) I've got news for you controlling pricks, that seat back is mine to do what I want with it. They recline for a damn good reason.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:55 PM

223 posts, read 300,241 times
Default Seats on Airplanes

Quote:
actually the recline space belongs to the person in front. If you want more space, you are also able to recline. Or have a bit of common sense and buy a seat with extra legroom.
Who made up that rule...you? You are incorrect. It is just a matter of etiquette. Some airlines are now taking out the mechanism that allows seats to recline. When I flew a few weeks ago, I bought one of those little lunches. The man in front of me was reclined way back. My tray table was touching my knees. The flight attendant told the man in front of me to sit his chair up so that I could eat. He commented that he had a right to recline. She told him that I had a right to be able to eat without him lying in my lap. He sat his chair upright.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM

223 posts, read 300,241 times
Default Reclining Seats on Planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I always recline on an airplane, because I have back/neck injuries and it is uncomfortable for me sit straight up for long periods of time. If the OP or anyone else doesn't like it tough crap. Either pay for more room in 1st class or find an airline that has seats that don't recline. (Good luck on that one) I've got news for you controlling pricks, that seat back is mine to do what I want with it. They recline for a damn good reason.
You can also pay for more room in 1st class or business class. It is not your seat to do what you want with it. The airlines leave people to rely on etiquette, but some airlines are taking out the mechanism that allows seats to recline because of rude people like you. Common sense should tell you that if the person behind you is eating or using a laptop, you should not recline your seat. Controlling people like you ruin it for everyone.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
My travel is often last minute, and very seldom do I not get an upgrade to first. Also most carriers hold the exits and bulkheads for FF's until 24 hours prior to the flight, at which time anyone can grab them at either no cost or a modest one--$5-25 or so.
Many of my flights, being regional, don't have first class. And I've not seen bulkheads or exits held. They're usually assigned before I get to select my seat assignment. You must be flying different carriers than the 6 I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel