Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
If the person behind me is too tall for me to recline, that person is infringing on my right to recline.
Should they detach their legs and place them in the overhead compartment so that you can recline?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I don't mind if someone reclines, I just wish they'd give a heads up and ease the seat back, not fling it back. It's so rude. That way, I can remove my beverage from the tray table while they're reclining so it doesn't spill on me. Other than that, reclining the seat doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm smaller and don't require much room. I truly feel sorry for tall passengers.
I don't even need a heads up really, just recline very slowly so I have time to move my laptop. I've had my screen nearly destroyed a couple of times because of overzealous recliners who seem to think they get extra points for maximum force exerted.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,796,708 times
I wonder if most airlines will soon follow Allegiant Air and Spirit Airlines and remove the reclining mechanisms.

I don't know why people are so insistent on reclining. It offers only a modicum of comfort to the person in front, few inches at best in the angle of their head and neck, almost nothing changes for the lower back. However, those few inches can be painful against the knees of the passenger behind.

Seems like a di@# move to me.

But then, I remember when people used to smoke on flights and would continue smoking even while others were gasping for air. One flight I was on, the flight attendants brought out oxygen bottles for three different passengers and people kept on smoking. After all, they had a right to smoke.

Cops called after fliers fight over seat recline

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Should they detach their legs and place them in the overhead compartment so that you can recline?
If extremely heavy people are required to buy an extra seat so as not to infringe on the people adjacent to them, they why not require extremely tall people to buy an extra seat so as not to infringe on the people adjacent to them?

(BTW, I'm neither, and I only recline my seat on overnight flights during the dark times, so I have no skin in the game. But I'm interested in the hypothetical issue.)

Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If extremely heavy people are required to buy an extra seat so as not to infringe on the people adjacent to them, they why not require extremely tall people to buy an extra seat so as not to infringe on the people adjacent to them?

(BTW, I'm neither, and I only recline my seat on overnight flights during the dark times, so I have no skin in the game. But I'm interested in the hypothetical issue.)

Except for exceptionally rare situations (far more rare than people claim), weight is entirely in one's control while height is not in one's control.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Uhhh... Because tall people don't need extra width of seat. They need depth.

I am 6ft 5in. I avoid flying because it is uncomfortable. Usually when someone does try to recline in front of me they can't. My knees are already in their chair back. The one time I had someone repeatedly try I leaned forward and said "I'm 6ft 5in and that isn't going to happen. Sorry!"

As to the people commenting that the right to recline came with the ticket... So did my right to a little leg room.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Uhhh... Because tall people don't need extra width of seat. They need depth.

I am 6ft 5in. I avoid flying because it is uncomfortable. Usually when someone does try to recline in front of me they can't. My knees are already in their chair back. The one time I had someone repeatedly try I leaned forward and said "I'm 6ft 5in and that isn't going to happen. Sorry!"

As to the people commenting that the right to recline came with the ticket... So did my right to a little leg room.
Have you tried requesting the emergency aisle? Thankfully, during my flight to Key West my friend & I got the emergency aisle both coming & going. That's a luxury to me. I requested that for my trip this fall too, hopefully I'll get it. Not sure why people recline their seats, it seems to make no difference whatsoevetr but it certainly does for the poor person behind you who now has to deal with no leg room whatsoever. Rude if you ask me.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wonder if most airlines will soon follow Allegiant Air and Spirit Airlines and remove the reclining mechanisms.

I don't know why people are so insistent on reclining. It offers only a modicum of comfort to the person in front, few inches at best in the angle of their head and neck, almost nothing changes for the lower back. However, those few inches can be painful against the knees of the passenger behind.

Seems like a di@# move to me.

But then, I remember when people used to smoke on flights and would continue smoking even while others were gasping for air. One flight I was on, the flight attendants brought out oxygen bottles for three different passengers and people kept on smoking. After all, they had a right to smoke.

Cops called after fliers fight over seat recline
I doubt that oxygen was brought out without telling, not asking, but telling people to put their cigarettes out, especially on a flight

Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Earlier this year, I was on a flight when the passenger in front of the guy next to me turned around and asked, "You don't mind if I recline the seat do you?"

My neighbor said he would rather he didn't recline. The guy reclined anyway.

My neighbor put away his laptop and pulled out a bottle of water. It was not easy as he was in the center seat.

Then he proceeded to tell ridiculous stories and laugh at his own jokes. As he was drinking water the whole time, he ended up spraying water on the head of the guy in front. After a couple of serious side-eyes, the guy pulled his seat back up, my neighbor got his computer back out and the rest of the trip was dull, dull, dull.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I doubt that oxygen was brought out without telling, not asking, but telling people to put their cigarettes out, especially on a flight
I did not hear any announcement. The smokers were in the back smoking section, and the three people sucking in oxygen were in the front. I remember a lot of muttering up in the no-smoking section but as far as I remember, the smoking continued until the no-smoking sign went on prior to landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel