Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And I would agree that is the case for most employees below the owner level. Annerk lives Wonderland sometimes. Though the deciding factor on which airline is rarely only a $3 difference.
Maybe I choose good employers to work for. My preferences have ALWAYS been noted by my employers, since the first one I began traveling for in 1989. The only time I can think of that they didn't use my carrier of choice was when I had to make a last minute trip to PR--Jet Blue was $350, the other carriers were $750 and up. Of course I flew Jet Blue--and my employer paid the extra $80 or so to upgrade me to the extra legroom seats.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
This is a real problem with me, I'm 6'3 and with these new seats my knees touch the seat in front of me. I keep my knees there and will not let the person in front of me recline their seat. If they do it while I'm up walking, I will push it back up when I sit down. It seems that it's alway's a short person that has to recline for some reason. The only airline I've flown in recent years that had leg room was Virgin Atlantic.
Once the seat is reclined you can't just push it back. What does height have to do with wanting to recline? hint--NOTHING.

I'd suggest that if you want more room that you insist that your employer pay for extra legroom seats, or pay for them yourself. Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around you.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe I choose good employers to work for. My preferences have ALWAYS been noted by my employers, since the first one I began traveling for in 1989. The only time I can think of that they didn't use my carrier of choice was when I had to make a last minute trip to PR--Jet Blue was $350, the other carriers were $750 and up. Of course I flew Jet Blue--and my employer paid the extra $80 or so to upgrade me to the extra legroom seats.
Consider yourself lucky most corporations don't give a rats azz about their employees anymore.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I don't mind if someone reclines, I just wish they'd give a heads up and ease the seat back, not fling it back. It's so rude. That way, I can remove my beverage from the tray table while they're reclining so it doesn't spill on me. Other than that, reclining the seat doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm smaller and don't require much room. I truly feel sorry for tall passengers.
I always ease the seat back. A few weeks ago the seat was broken and as soon as I pushed the button it flung back. Fortunately the guy behind me already has his seat back and was sawing wood.

By the way, someone recently posted photos that proved that the table moves with the seat, so the fallacy of spilled beverages is just that.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I never recline because it's rude...even when the person in front of me reclines. There have been times when the person in front of me reclines, and their head is literally 5-6 inches from mine....it feels like I'm pinned in my seat. Still I do not complain, although I did have a stewardess once tell the person in front of me to sit up so I could pull down my tray table and eat (I didn't even ask, she just did it).

I think recline should not be an option. We are already crammed in there as it is, I'm claustrophobic and having someone's head 5-6 inches away from mine does NOT help.
It's physically impossible for their head to be that close--there just isn't enough degree of recline. What you feel and what is reality are two different things.

If it's that troubling to you, buy a first class ticket.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
There was another thread on this a few years back. During my years of travel, I know a few tricks to sublimely discourage the full recline by the idiot in front of you. This can include careful pointing of the air vent at full blast, the use of carefully directed, umm, flatulence, and a few other tricks.
If you fully recline on the seat in front of me, your stay on the plane will be uncomfortable to the same degree my knee constricting discomfort is. I promise you that.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This. I live smack in the middle of my east coast territory, and 95% of my travel (2-3 times per month) is to various east coast cities. I fly on 6 different airlines, and most flights are under 2 hours. I can't manage to get status with anyone.
It seems bizarre that you can't consolidate to two carriers, particularly now that US and AA have merged.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Should they detach their legs and place them in the overhead compartment so that you can recline?
They can sit slightly sideways. Just like an obese person, if they can't fit in the seat, they should buy a larger one, not infringe on others space. As long as the seat reclines, it's the space of the person doing the reclining.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Except for exceptionally rare situations (far more rare than people claim), weight is entirely in one's control while height is not in one's control.
But having the common sense to buy an extra legroom seat is.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Uhhh... Because tall people don't need extra width of seat. They need depth.

I am 6ft 5in. I avoid flying because it is uncomfortable. Usually when someone does try to recline in front of me they can't. My knees are already in their chair back. The one time I had someone repeatedly try I leaned forward and said "I'm 6ft 5in and that isn't going to happen. Sorry!"

As to the people commenting that the right to recline came with the ticket... So did my right to a little leg room.
actually the recline space belongs to the person in front. If you want more space, you are also able to recline. Or have a bit of common sense and buy a seat with extra legroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel