Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Earlier this year, I was on a flight when the passenger in front of the guy next to me turned around and asked, "You don't mind if I recline the seat do you?"

My neighbor said he would rather he didn't recline. The guy reclined anyway.

My neighbor put away his laptop and pulled out a bottle of water. It was not easy as he was in the center seat.

Then he proceeded to tell ridiculous stories and laugh at his own jokes. As he was drinking water the whole time, he ended up spraying water on the head of the guy in front. After a couple of serious side-eyes, the guy pulled his seat back up, my neighbor got his computer back out and the rest of the trip was dull, dull, dull.
This is the type of buffoon I would seriously slam my seat back into on a regular basis.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM

For those of you who are so anti-reclining, have you bothered to research the seats that don't recline on a plane and book the seats behind them? Or would that make too much sense?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Once the seat is reclined you can't just push it back. What does height have to do with wanting to recline? hint--NOTHING.

I'd suggest that if you want more room that you insist that your employer pay for extra legroom seats, or pay for them yourself. Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around you.
Insisting that your employer pays for extra legroom? HA HA. Oh, that's gonna go over real well at review time!

It's wonderful that your employer is willing to do this. I assume you're valuable enough to earn this by adding to their bottom line in a big time way so they want to keep you happy. Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around you, nor should you expect every employer will be this generous.

PS - Does your employer do this for all it's employees or just you?

Quote:
But having the common sense to buy an extra legroom seat is.
On this, we can agree.

Quote:
For those of you who are so anti-reclining, have you bothered to research the seats that don't recline on a plane and book the seats behind them? [snip]
And on this. With the sarcastic remark removed.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-26-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
For those of you who are so anti-reclining, have you bothered to research the seats that don't recline on a plane and book the seats behind them? Or would that make too much sense?
Your posts are ridiculously snideful. Did it ever occur to you that the majority of people A. do not travel weekly or monthly or even yearly? B. the majority of people don't think to research LEG ROOM for seats on a plane. C. the majority of people do not have the money to book a seat with extra leg room. I think the majority of people who fly can all agree that reclining seats are an annoyance, period.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Oh that's gonna go over real well at review time!
Then pay for it yourself.

I know a few guys who are big--like 350-400 pounds big. They have to fly first, they simply don't fit in coach seats. Their employers knew this when they hired them. If you're good at what you do, an employer will want you, even if it will cost them a little more to get you to and from meetings.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
I'd suggest that if you want more room that you insist that your employer pay for extra legroom seats, or pay for them yourself. Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around you.
Extra legroom seats are not always available. Not everyone has the luxury of knowing they will be traveling 8 weeks in advance. Is that something else your magical unicorn of an employer does for you?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Flying is uncomfortable enough as it is. Why remove the one comfort that doesn't cost extra? I especially enjoy the recline because my flight from Texas to Alaska is 9 hours if it's nonstop or 4 + 5 hours if there is one stop. Either way, it's a red eye and without a recline, I and many other passengers would feel pretty crappy on the whole flight and afterward. No recline on shorter flights might be more appropriate.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
actually the recline space belongs to the person in front. If you want more space, you are also able to recline. Or have a bit of common sense and buy a seat with extra legroom.

Really, where does anything state who owns which space?

I paid for a seat with adequate room to sit in. Dimensions of said seat weren't mentioned in the literature I saw.

Why should I pay extra because the person in front of me wants to recline 3 inches? 3 inches that don't impact their comfort much, but greatly impact mine?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
The space my knees occupy belong to the person in front of me? Funny, I thought my knees belonged to me and they were a natural extension of my sitting down.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
As seat pitch decreases, seems like many (thankfully) no longer recline during the day but still lots of seats back on long-haul overnighters. Still, it's a major headache for flight attendants with lots of unhappy passengers.

Given that the majority of the seats are in economy, an individual able to pay for an upgrade doesn't address the overall issue.

An offhand thought is that flight attendants manage seat position like they do seat belts. At times all seats must be up (meal time and day time flights); other times, seats *may* be reclined. Individual preference. Though given how unruly some passengers can become, I can appreciate how difficult it could be to initially obtain universal passenger compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel