Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM

912 posts, read 1,281,465 times

Advertisements

I never recline, and neither does my spouse. We both feel as though we can deal with the inconvenience of the small space and don't want to infringe on the space of the people behind us. We frequently sit near the back so sometimes we're right ahead of the last row where the seats don't recline at all.

That said - We travel with small children. People rarely recline towards us.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,559,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.

People who refuse to spend $3 more for a ticket to fly with a single carrier are penny wise and pound foolish. That loyalty will gain not only upgrades but also who do you think will get the seats on the next flight when one is cancelled? I'll give you a hint--it's not Tom and Betty from Iowa flying on the deeply discounted ticket--they'll be the ones sitting in ORD for three days with no hotel waiting for seats on a plane after a blizzard has cancelled their connection while the person who was loyal will be on the first flight out. If they have a high level of loyalty, yes, the carrier will bump others for that passenger when it's quietly pushed. I know this for a fact, I've had people bumped so I could get a seat.

Trust me, my carrier of choice cares a lot more about the $50K a year I spend with them than they do about the Hatfields who spend $183 pp on r/t tickets to Florida once a year.
Not mine, I fly for work using a company credit card, but they will only pay for coach. If I upgrade I'll have to pay the difference. Not worth it to me, if the person in front of me reclines I will too, so as to maintain the space.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,633,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Once again an opinion. Where on the airline's website does it say the space belongs to the person in front? Does the FAA mandate the space belongs to the person in front? Has there been a legal precedent set in a court of law that says the space belongs to the person in front? What?
I would assume that since flight attendants make announcements regarding when seats may be reclined and when they must be in the full and upright position, that is the airline's way of telling passengers that the whopping 2 inches of recline space is indeed available for the person who chooses to recline.

Why would they make those announcements, and have the recline buttons, if passengers weren't supposed to recline?? And seriously, how much space is lost due to that whopping amount of recline?

I use the recline off and on (reclining slowly and gently, of course) throughout the flight just to be able to relieve pressure on my back. Feels better to shift positions a bit. The vast majority of the time, the people in front of me and around me also recline. I fly a lot, and I've never heard anyone ask permission, or complain about it.

Seems to be a much hotter topic here on CD than in the real world (except for that recent case involving water throwing----sheesh!)

Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM

4,501 posts, read 5,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I don't need to pay more to fly 1st class since I don't need extra leg room and BECAUSE THE FRICKIN' SEAT RECLINES!!!! Evidently, the airlines do intend for me to do what I want with it since they gave me the button. Seriously, are people that dense?

I disagree.

You should definitely find that airline(s), because I'm putting the seat back. I just flew from Dulles to Denver via United and the seat reclined. I enjoyed the crap out of my laid back position too.

It must be my space since I control the button, huh?.
Yep,you control the button little person, but I control the space behind you !

Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And I would agree that is the case for most employees below the owner level. Annerk lives Wonderland sometimes...
Maybe he has an executive position. I never had any trouble getting my company to pay a reasonable price for a ticket on any carrier. In fact, I often suggested ways to save money and I was told that I was making other people look bad, but that they would buy me the money-saving itinerary if I insisted.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,982,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmARandomAnonymousUser View Post
There is a reason airplanes, despite all the bad incidents that have happened, have not gotten rid of the recline button.
It is only a matter of time until the airline industry faces it's next financial crunch. When it happens there is nowhere left to cut to reduce expenses. So revenues will have to be increased. I am betting reclining seats will be eliminated so they can squeeze another row of seats in. It is that or increase fees. The flying public has shown time and time again they would rather be inconvenienced than pay even 5 dollars more for a ticket

Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,515,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The only travel I really do is for my company, and it's somewhat frequent, and we are strictly prohibited from flying anything but coach. There are no upgrades. Also many of the planes I fly on are the little Embraer puddle jumpers which have no special seats.

Flying is abysmal. I get through it by plunging thick earplugs deep into my ear canals (after rolling them into a cigar shape and licking them), wearing my noise-canceling headphones (no music, they're there to block even more sound) putting on my sleep mask, and taking a few different drugs (typically alcohol, Phenibut, Valerian Root, and sometimes Diph/Dime and/or a Benzo like Etizolam, once in a while an opioid). I do all this before we take off. I ***strongly*** prefer window seats. If I could I'd be placed into a coma upon entering the plane and brought back out after landing. If I could that coma would actually come upon enter the AIRPORT itself.
You are hilarious.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,477,613 times
News Video, Legroom fight diverts flight

Do airline passengers have the right to recline?
That simmering debate among fliers escalated Sunday aboard a United Airlines flight that was diverted after two passengers argued over the use of a device that blocks reclining.

Legroom fight diverts flight - CNN.com

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,256,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You are hilarious.
^Not sure if sarcasm.

It is how I feel. I don't recline. I don't really notice others in front of me reclining, guess it's not hitting my knees. I try to be numb and dead to the world and meditate and medicate myself off that horrible place until it's over. I hate flying SO MUCH.

Anyway, I think we should all be glad they haven't yet started to equip planes with the stand-up / backrest "seats."

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/i.../airbus202.jpg

http://www.travelandleisure.com/imag...skyrider-1.jpg

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncsta...bus_patent.jpg

Laugh it up, but I can see these becoming standard on short flights at some point. Let's enjoy a nice seat as a cushion against gravity while we can, eh?

After reading through the thread, I wanted to reiterate, I have no choice of airline and we are not permitted to pay for upgrades (if they even exist, which they don't on the Embraer ERJ planes I take often: http://www.seatguru.com/en_US/img/21...er_ERJ-145.gif) out of our pocket.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM

522 posts, read 692,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd suggest that if this is that important to you that you buy first, business, or premium economy seats in the future.
Maybe if your banking on your dad's credit card. I think the majority of Americans don't have money to waste on upgrading a 4 hour flight.

@OP I agree. Planes are uncomfortable enough as it is. Of course I would never say anything, but to me it's annoying nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel