Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm not sure I've ever been on a plane that had first class. Granted, I don't fly often, but first class didn't appear to be on any plane. Business class? Sure, but not first class.
The seats in the pointy end on any DOMESTIC flight are generally referred to as "First Class." Some carriers are doing away with First on international flights and calling it "Business First" or something along those lines.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I repped you.
Aww, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I sat behind behind someone who reclined her seat all the way the entire flight, even meals. I was about to ask her to fix her seat so I could get my t*ts out of my dinner when a flight attendant asked her to put her seat up during meals.
Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've worked with similar sized companies that did.
Mine doesn't, I think about 52k employees.
Quote:
My next cross country trip is Orlando to Seattle, seven hours flight time in each direction.
I get 6.3 hours east to west and 5.3 hours west to east on Orbitz for Business.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Wow...you really sound like Mr. Charming Personality! I'm sure everyone who knows you really loves your pleasant personality.

The airlines gave people the recline button because people used to be considerate. Now some of the smaller airlines have taken out the recline feature because of inconsiderate people. Yes...some people really are that dense and selfish that they recline their seats no matter what the situation going on behind them! Hard to believe, isn't it? Some people also claim that they have back and neck problems so that they have to recline or they are not comfortable. Oh, come on! Do they recline their seats all day at work and while they are eating? Sounds like an excuse a controlling person would try to me.

Airlines are now having airplane seat rage and fights go on because of people who only think of themselves and recline their seats when it is inconvenient for the person behind them. Just today a plane had to be diverted because of a fight over airplane seats reclining. How immature! It will be those rude, inconsiderate controlling people that are the cause of airlines taking out the recline mechanisms. Those people need to pay the extra $$ for first class seats. Maybe if they are actually that incapacitated (and can prove it) that they need to recline during the entire flight, the airlines might put them up in first class at no extra charge if there are seats available. The rest of us would gladly see them placed there.
You obviously don't have a clue about almost everything you wrote here. It's laughable.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree 100%. Sometimes people recline them so it is hard to even move your legs and certainly almost impossible to put you tray down. I have gotten dirty looks and a few comments when I have asked the person to please put their seat back upright. I know they have the right to recline the seats, but I appreciate people being thoughtful of others. Flying to day with all the inconveniences some jerks created plus the cost, the extra charges, the discontinuing of meals, and the lack of leg room, makes flying anything but pleasurable. Then add the recliner hog in front of you and I would almost rather walk than fly.

It would be wonderful if everyone could afford to fly business or first, but only a handful can and to build up enough miles to fly first is almost a thing of the past.
Why couldn't you put the tray table down? Average tray table is 10" deep. Proven fact that tray table is independent of the recline. Using United because I knew it off the top of my head for some reason, economy pitch is 31" Seat structure and cushion takes away 4". So 27". Minus the 10" of the tray table, that's 17" of space between where your body touches the seat back and the front edge of the tray table. Even taking 2" into account for the space between the tray table and seat back, unless you are obese, there's no reason you can't use the tray table when the seat is reclined.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The only travel I really do is for my company, and it's somewhat frequent, and we are strictly prohibited from flying anything but coach. There are no upgrades. Also many of the planes I fly on are the little Embraer puddle jumpers which have no special seats.
So when the airline upgrades you, you are required to decline a free upgrade? Frequent flyers get FREE upgrades.

By the way, most puddle jumpers DO have first class now--except the turboprops, in which case it's a 30 minute flight.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not mine, I fly for work using a company credit card, but they will only pay for coach. If I upgrade I'll have to pay the difference. Not worth it to me, if the person in front of me reclines I will too, so as to maintain the space.
In general I'm referring to the free upgrades that the carriers automatically give their frequent flyers.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Maybe if your banking on your dad's credit card. I think the majority of Americans don't have money to waste on upgrading a 4 hour flight.

@OP I agree. Planes are uncomfortable enough as it is. Of course I would never say anything, but to me it's annoying nonetheless.
My father passed away over 20 years ago, and I was on my own from the time I was 18.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Aww, thanks!
Ha!
Mine doesn't, I think about 52k employees.
I get 6.3 hours east to west and 5.3 hours west to east on Orbitz for Business.
That's if you can go direct. I am not a hub airport, there are few if any direct flights. I used my total flight time, and did not count the layover time. In other words, I go slightly out of my way regardless of which carrier I take.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Yikes big thread, this may have been mentioned already and in that case I apologize.

COMMON SENSE FOLKS!

If the beverage cart has just come through there is an above average chance that the person behind you has a BEVERAGE on the tray that is attached to your seat. Now is not the time to slam your seat back as if you are a cosmonaut finally breaking free of the cruel tethers of gravity.

I have seen more than a few drinks go flying by these nimrods.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
The seats in the pointy end on any DOMESTIC flight are generally referred to as "First Class." Some carriers are doing away with First on international flights and calling it "Business First" or something along those lines.
I'll be sure to ask the attendant when I first board my flight & turn to the right to walk down the aisle if this first row of seats, which look like every other seat on the plane, if they refer to those seats as first class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel