Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I just booked a flight to Cincinnati, couple months in advance, $1456 on an itty bitty RJ145. Yikes! Got a couple other flights coming up but I'll be drugging myself up for this one for sure.
I hope that's a typo. There's got to be an extra digit in there. If you're talking domestic, there's no reason you should have paid that for coach.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
I just booked a flight to Cincinnati, couple months in advance, $1456 on an itty bitty RJ145. Yikes! Got a couple other flights coming up but I'll be drugging myself up for this one for sure.
Cincinnati is a notoriously expensive airport to fly in and out of:
The Most Expensive Airports to Fly To - WSJ

I used to fly there direct from Connecticut and would pay dearly every.single.time. But never in the 4 figure range!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You need to fire your corporate travel agent or your boss needs to fire you, because I'm seeing between $600 and $900 for FIRST CLASS R/T on the DFW>CVG route pretty much all of September and October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I hope that's a typo. There's got to be an extra digit in there. If you're talking domestic, there's no reason you should have paid that for coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Cincinnati is a notoriously expensive airport to fly in and out of:
The Most Expensive Airports to Fly To - WSJ

I used to fly there direct from Connecticut and would pay dearly every.single.time. But never in the 4 figure range!
Yep, they rake us over the coals. There was no difference getting in on Sunday. I only need to be there by noonish Monday so I just did the Monday morning. A connecting flight on Sunday didn't lower it too much and the company discourages connecting if not necessary. I have to be back Wednesday morning.

Yes, drugs.

Attached Thumbnails
Seats should not recline on airplanes-orbitz.jpg  

Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM

522 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Poor people take Greyhound. People who can afford to take vacations that involve flying can choose their carrier and spend the extra money for a seat with extra leg room.
That's just untrue. In fact, I'm moving to another country and will be flying when I do. I have no money for luxuries like first or business class.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM

522 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
We can only hope that they will go up so those who belong on Greyhound will return there.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Because recline has nothing to do with it. If you can't fit with the aircraft being used in the way it's designed, you don't fit. What is so hard to grasp about that? Armrests go down and seats recline. If you don't fit with those design enhancements in place, you don't fit, buy a seat you do fit into.

Your complete lack of ability to support your conjecture, or disprove my own equally plausible conjecture (as delineated in way back in post 177) is fascinating to read.

How many times do you need to re-state the same thesis without adding anything to your argument? How thoroughly does the poll need to negate you (currently 82 against, 31 in favor) before you see you are in the minority?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.
Mine does. They take into account preference for carrier and schedule. It says so explicitly in the travel policy, as long as the cost difference is "reasonable" (whatever that means). Must book coach fare and pay for upgrades. No problem there; my upgrades all cost $0, so I gladly fork over $0.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Yep, they rake us over the coals. There was no difference getting in on Sunday. I only need to be there by noonish Monday so I just did the Monday morning. A connecting flight on Sunday didn't lower it too much and the company discourages connecting if not necessary. I have to be back Wednesday morning.

Yes, drugs.

Next time let me do your travel planning and send me the leftover $1000

(ETA: Just saw that the company discourages connections ... my company would happily let me make multiple stops if it meant saving $1000)

Attached Thumbnails
Seats should not recline on airplanes-picture1.jpg  

Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
As long as the seat reclines, it is the right of the person in it to do so--they aren't the one who needs to spend the money, as they aren't the one complaining about space.
Actually, more often than not, they are indeed the ones complaining about space. On those occasions when I fly coach, when I sit down in my seat, my knees are usually touching, if not actually pressed against, the seat back in front of me. That seat will not be reclining no matter how forcefully you or anyone else presses that little button on your chair or how vocally anyone wants to assert his or her right to recline the seat. And I have had people in that seat complain to the flight attendants that they can't recline. Once the flight attendant comes over and sees how tall I am and how my body is situated, the complainer is basically told that there is nothing that can be done.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:08 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, more often than not, they are indeed the ones complaining about space. On those occasions when I fly coach, when I sit down in my seat, my knees are usually touching, if not actually pressed against, the seat back in front of me. That seat will not be reclining no matter how forcefully you or anyone else presses that little button on your chair or how vocally anyone wants to assert his or her right to recline the seat. And I have had people in that seat complain to the flight attendants that they can't recline. Once the flight attendant comes over and sees how tall I am and how my body is situated, the complainer is basically told that there is nothing that can be done.

My experience is similar.

The basic ability to sit clearly trumps the luxury of reclining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel