Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM

217 posts, read 314,282 times

Advertisements

Well, keep in mind that there are a lot more ugly and/or fat people out there, so just from a numbers standpoint, it's pretty slim chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Give the original poster a break. He's just echoing those deep and disturbed thoughts many of us have. Come on, admit it, say what you want, but many people are thinking what he is. He just posted it--under an alias. Big deal.

Come on, we all think deep and disturbed things. I do, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. When I see a wreck on the highway, the first thing I think is "where's an escape route so I don't have to wait behind the logjam?" I mean really, I didn't know them, the ambulance people are the ones who can actually DO something about it and they're on the way. Why should I have to wait in line over someone I don't know whom I'm not going to be able to help anyway? I wouldn't expect them to wait in line behind me if I were the one in the wreck--really, I wouldn't.

I see an attractive woman who's pregnant, I'm thinking "some guy had a really fun time with her." I see a large woman who's pregnant, I'm thinking "wow, really?" yet I'm also thinking "that's one devoted man right there, good for him." I also think "I bet that woman feels great knowing she can be obese yet still attract a fine man for herself, and good for her, everyone deserves to be happy, not just the supermodels of the world."

I see a cashier, I think of how this person probably hasn't been able to scratch their butt or pick their nose for awhile and how they're probably looking forward to the first chance they get to do so. I see someone mopping and I have to walk where they're mopping, I'm thinking "I bet they want to kill me right now." When a young cashier at Best Buy smiles I say to myself "I bet she's thinking 'oh great, another old man I have to be nice to, why can't some 20-somethings come in here?'"

These are just thoughts echoed on a forum under an alias, big deal.
Wow. Just wow.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hahahaha, golden!!!
Lol, that was straight out of a Golden Girls episode. "Lesbian Blanche, not Lebanese!"

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, that was straight out of a Golden Girls episode. "Lesbian Blanche, not Lebanese!"
LOL… I knew it was from somewhere beside my twisted brain, thanks fro the popref!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The OP wrote a (perhaps dubiously) funny piece of satire about air travel that all but the most uptight and repressed could relate to, at least at some point in their lives. and people get all butt hurt.

Yet there are umpteen deadly serious threads and posts about praying that an ugly, fat, or unhygenic person not be seated next to them where everyone joins in the bullying of the aesthetically disabled (PC for fat and ugly).

Interesting social commentary on modern thinking where expression of appreciation for someone's looks is creepy and deplorable while showing utter lack of respect for the disfigured is applauded.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Interesting social commentary on modern thinking where expression of appreciation for someone's looks is creepy and deplorable while showing utter lack of respect for the disfigured is applauded.

Not sure where you live, but where I live this is never applauded.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
The OP wrote a (perhaps dubiously) funny piece of satire about air travel that all but the most uptight and repressed could relate to, at least at some point in their lives. and people get all butt hurt.

Yet there are umpteen deadly serious threads and posts about praying that an ugly, fat, or unhygenic person not be seated next to them where everyone joins in the bullying of the aesthetically disabled (PC for fat and ugly).

Big difference in hoping the greasy-haired guy who smells like a salami and onion on rye doesn't sit next to you and hoping a person with a disfigurement doesn't sit next to you. I totally don't want to be next to #1, I couldn't care less about #2.

I also don't care if a fat person sits next to me, as long as they either bought a second seat or can fit into their own space without infringing on mine.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Interesting comments. Interesting thought processes. I am thinking if someone is having a problem with getting a desirable seat mate on an aircraft with a person that they will only see for the length of the flight, maybe that person has bigger problems. Just wondering how this persons persona is in real life. Look if you aint got no game on the ground, what makes you think things will change at 30,000 feet? Complaints like this make me want to tell the person making them to go look in the mirror and see for themselves why they may not have a chance for a hot chick. Here is what I would do, take some selfies and look hard at what is looking back at you. See what needs to change. Maybe look at the scale and see what needs to change there as well. Wardrobe is key as well, what do you wrap your body in? I am thinking we can all make changes in our personal look. I know I need to. My thoughts are not to chase what is not yours but to become the person that others want to sit by.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM

266 posts, read 285,688 times
Quote:

What's it satirizing exactly?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
I was invited to join the mile high club on an international flight about 15 years ago.

The girl was pretty attractive and a little drunk. I was in the exit row seat near the bathrooms and she walks up and starts dancing and then beckons me with her finger right outside the bathroom. My wife was asleep in the seat beside me. What can I say, it was flattering, but I don't cheat on my wife - ever!

I had to laugh (inside) when I saw her in the morning, looking sheepish and hung-over.

Honestly I don't really care for most of the 20 something pretty girls. They seem to think the world owes them something, just because they're attractive. And if you don't play along, they get pi$$y. It's like you're insulting them because you're not hitting on them or something.

I rather sit beside someone interesting. If they're also nice to look at, well and good, but I'm not going to hit on them, so who really cares...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel