U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
What's it satirizing exactly?
The whole, 'Whom must I sit with on this flight?' debate which is a staple of Travel subforum. Normally people discuss unpleasant seatmates. The OP framed the debate through a more hopeful lens by presenting the internal dialogue that many of us have had as we people watch at the gate. And the seeming inevitability that the attractive person that caught your eye will pass your row.

As for people suggesting that one hopes to get a good looking seatmate because it means the chance of sex, what world are you from? I hope a good looking woman will sit next to me because it would be nice to meet and maybe chat with a good looking woman. A more entertaining diversion than speculating on the bacterial contamination per square inch on the tray table and in flight magazine.

Furthermore, if you are married or have a SO, it is because that person saw you, thought you were hot, and hoped to get next to you so they could strike up a conversation.

Of course not every conversation leads to sex and most well adjusted people realize that. It doesn't mean that we should turn off our human intincts. Studies show that even infants turn their heads towards, and hold their attention on, people who are generally regarded as attractive. I mean, if you are sitting in a window seat and you have the choice of looking out the window at a beautiful sunset or the dandruffy head in front of you, what do you do? You look at the sunset.

I just think people have read WAY more into the OPs little narrative than it was intended to convey.

"I hope I get to sit next to that pretty woman I saw at the gate." has turned into "I am a creepy perv that is going to sex up my seatmate!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM

177 posts, read 236,501 times
I miss hot STEWARDESSES!!

Remember Braniff and the hot stwardesses in go-go boots and tight dresses? Man, those were the days!!

Now it is gradma serving you coffee. And you pay MORE for that privledge!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The whole, 'Whom must I sit with on this flight?' debate which is a staple of Travel subforum. Normally people discuss unpleasant seatmates. The OP framed the debate through a more hopeful lens by presenting the internal dialogue that many of us have had as we people watch at the gate. And the seeming inevitability that the attractive person that caught your eye will pass your row.

As for people suggesting that one hopes to get a good looking seatmate because it means the chance of sex, what world are you from? I hope a good looking woman will sit next to me because it would be nice to meet and maybe chat with a good looking woman. A more entertaining diversion than speculating on the bacterial contamination per square inch on the tray table and in flight magazine.

Furthermore, if you are married or have a SO, it is because that person saw you, thought you were hot, and hoped to get next to you so they could strike up a conversation.

Of course not every conversation leads to sex and most well adjusted people realize that. It doesn't mean that we should turn off our human intincts. Studies show that even infants turn their heads towards, and hold their attention on, people who are generally regarded as attractive. I mean, if you are sitting in a window seat and you have the choice of looking out the window at a beautiful sunset or the dandruffy head in front of you, what do you do? You look at the sunset.

I just think people have read WAY more into the OPs little narrative than it was intended to convey.

"I hope I get to sit next to that pretty woman I saw at the gate." has turned into "I am a creepy perv that is going to sex up my seatmate!"
There were like 3 people, probably all women, who seemed generally put off by the OP's musings. It's understandable that a lot of women would feel that way, but it's hard to tell if they were actually offended anyways since this is all happening with text. The rest of us were mostly playing along in our own way, even taunting him in ways that he basically asked for when he started a thread about his desperation to be near someone pretty.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
There were like 3 people, probably all women, who seemed generally put off by the OP's musings. It's understandable that a lot of women would feel that way, but it's hard to tell if they were actually offended anyways since this is all happening with text. The rest of us were mostly playing along in our own way, even taunting him in ways that he basically asked for when he started a thread about his desperation to be near someone pretty.
It's not my desperation, I'm not trying to change the situation. I will continue selecting the seats I do, I am merely observing my surroundings.

Here's another one. Whatever line I go into at security WILL become the slow line and not by my doing.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Over the last five years, I have been on the same Southwest flight as the BYU women's soccer team, the Northwestern University volleyball team, the St. Louis women's basketball team, and at least three other women's teams. Since travel planners rarely check-in early in the 24 hour period, they get a lot of "C" passes and are disbursed throughout the plane.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Made me think of these two new services from the last couple years:

1) KLM Airlines' "Meet and Seat" where passengers share their social networking profiles prior to a flight.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/bu...anted=all&_r=0
KLM Meet & Seat - KLM.com

2) Virgin America's "Seat to Seat" where you can send drinks, messages, etc, to people at other seats.
Virgin America's 'Seat To Seat' Service Will Send Drinks To Your Crush, Help You Flirt While Flying

Apparently this study revealed that nearly 50% of people have flirted on a flight and 8% have started relationships with people they met on a flight:
Mile High Club: Skyscanner Polls Fliers On Their Airplane Flirting Habits (POLL)

For me personally, as a guy I generally do hope an attractive female sits next to me when I'm flying alone. The only times I don't are when I'm too tired or busy to think about it. Also, I do find it very interesting when I'm one of the first people on a SW flight and I get to sit and wait to see who decides to sit next to me/in my row.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,074,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Speak for yourself!!! I don't think thoughts like that.

I don't think how devoted a guy must be because he's with a fat chick. I think how lucky she is that someone loves her for who she is.

I don't look for a way to escape from a wreck. I pick up my phone and call 911, then get out and try to help.

But now whenever I see a crotchety old curmudgeon, I will think of you.
Fair enough. To wit: whenever I see someone backing up traffic in a wreck involving someone I don't know and can't help, and neither can the person inconveniencing me in that way, I will think of you.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:21 PM

824 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
After many years of air travel, I have come to the theory that is is impossible to sit next to a non-companion hot girl on an airplane with a conventional boarding system. Southwest's system is an EXCEPTION, not the rule.

You may see her at security, you probably will see her at the gate and you will definitely see her board the plane.

She WILL sit in proximity to you, although NOT next to you. Your seat and hers are asymptotes, they can get very close, but will never touch.

Instead, you will end up with someone who looks like they shop for home goods at Sear's at 9:00am on a Tuesday.

Likewise, the Idiot law states that the individual you see outside the airport or in security, or in any place with no direct corrolation to your airline or flight, that you irrationally hate on first sight WILL be on your flight. But you won't sit next to him.
Wow, you just described how alle women are miffed that they never sit next to me. Thanks.

Oops, I am sorry, I did not know that you intended your post to be taken seriously.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Am I the only one who found this funny? I always hope I might sit near someone attractive, but it never happens. Doesn't make you a crazy pervert.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Am I the only one who found this funny? I always hope I might sit near someone attractive, but it never happens. Doesn't make you a crazy pervert.
If you marry well, you don't have that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or