Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdiver View Post
I miss hot STEWARDESSES!!

Remember Braniff and the hot stwardesses in go-go boots and tight dresses? Man, those were the days!!

Now it is gradma serving you coffee. And you pay MORE for that privledge!
The reality is that taking inflation into consideration, you are paying substantially less for that ticket. Flying has become Greyhound, unless you can get into the pointy end of the plane. Even then it's not always all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM

352 posts, read 324,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
After many years of air travel, I have come to the theory that is is impossible to sit next to a non-companion hot girl on an airplane with a conventional boarding system. Southwest's system is an EXCEPTION, not the rule.

You may see her at security, you probably will see her at the gate and you will definitely see her board the plane.

She WILL sit in proximity to you, although NOT next to you. Your seat and hers are asymptotes, they can get very close, but will never touch.

Instead, you will end up with someone who looks like they shop for home goods at Sear's at 9:00am on a Tuesday.

Likewise, the Idiot law states that the individual you see outside the airport or in security, or in any place with no direct corrolation to your airline or flight, that you irrationally hate on first sight WILL be on your flight. But you won't sit next to him.
For me, I always see that gorgeous girl (that I will have nothing to do with regardless because I'm a moral guy and don't cheat on my GF) and enjoy the aesthetic of her beauty for a brief moment before I get wedged in a middle seat between those fat motorcycle twins:

Or I get the bratty kid in the seat behind me with the parents that do the whole "Tommy, that's not very nice" as they continue to read their US Magazine and let him turn my chair into an earthquake simulator.

Which is why for any trip where I can drive there in a day or less, I always drive. Las Vegas, San Francisco, Phoenix, LA...probably even ABQ/Santa Fe...I'll always drive to those places because airline travel has become such a nuisance.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Once shared a transatlantic flight with a ballet company. Seems to good to be true, no? WRONG! They were cute, lithe and well-toned - and so effin' hyperenergetic, there wasn't a single quiet moment throughout the flight.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,398 times
I'd hate to sit next to a hot girl on a plane. Hot girls are best admired from afar, and I tend to get intimidated by them. I can't talk to them, and I'd feel bad for them if they had to sit next to a tool like me. I'd prefer to sit next to small, quiet, average-looking or ugly person who smells like butterscotch. We're all packed in like sardines anyway, so I'm not really in the mood for conservation while flying. I'm more in survival mode and just trying to keep my mind off how uncomfortable I am in my seat. I usually sit next to either a portly person who insists on spreading their legs out as far as possible or a drunk dude who reeks of alcohol (which I find unpleasant as a non-drinker).

Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I'd hate to sit next to a hot girl on a plane. Hot girls are best admired from afar, and I tend to get intimidated by them. I can't talk to them, and I'd feel bad for them if they had to sit next to a tool like me. I'd prefer to sit next to small, quiet, average-looking or ugly person who smells like butterscotch. We're all packed in like sardines anyway, so I'm not really in the mood for conservation while flying. I'm more in survival mode and just trying to keep my mind off how uncomfortable I am in my seat. I usually sit next to either a portly person who insists on spreading their legs out as far as possible or a drunk dude who reeks of alcohol (which I find unpleasant as a non-drinker).
Wow, there you go. Lot of energy expenditure going on there.

I love people who are "intimidated" by attractive people, as in: must be tough to go through life living with that kind of (false) inadequacy. I've been friends, colleagues, and nodding-acquaintances with extra-attractive women (I'm a man), and dated a few as-well. They're people, same as anyone else, albeit people who either 1) put extra time and effort into maintaining appearances or 2) were born that way. The latter are usually easier to deal with. The former tend to wonder, "that's what I do; why aren't you doing same, Mr. Average?" Therein lies trouble, but if you simply grin at them and chuckle, who really gets the last laugh?

Now "personally," I say little to nothing to anyone on aircraft. Not militantly so; just pretend they aren't there (but always remaining courteous). Flights are this weird thing whereby we're all forced to be on best-behavior, because if-so it all goes oh-so-much easier. Thus, I'm amused to realize the most horrible person could be my seat-mate, or the most knockout model. I have little recollection one way or another and cannot remember actually focussing attention on a seat-mate in years, if not decades. First Class, when I splurge, takes care of most of that anyway: I'm focussed more on the experience than the people.

...Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't idly and lustfully check out the women in the boarding area, too. Difference in my case is not being super-concerned where any particular person sits, see above. I'll save putting on the moves for another place and time.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Having read through this thread I have to admit I don't get this "I'm married so I don't talk to beautiful women" thing. Do you really think they're going to drag you into the bathroom for a quickie? We are talking about sitting in seats having a conversation (or just sitting quietly) for a couple of hours.

I mean, really :-)

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,713,884 times
Well, it's not for me to say whether I was 'hot' or not...but I wound up happily married to the man I was randomly assigned as a seat-mate on an airplane 30 years ago.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
After many years of air travel, I have come to the theory that is is impossible to sit next to a non-companion hot girl on an airplane with a conventional boarding system. Southwest's system is an EXCEPTION, not the rule.

You may see her at security, you probably will see her at the gate and you will definitely see her board the plane.

She WILL sit in proximity to you, although NOT next to you. Your seat and hers are asymptotes, they can get very close, but will never touch.

Instead, you will end up with someone who looks like they shop for home goods at Sear's at 9:00am on a Tuesday.

Likewise, the Idiot law states that the individual you see outside the airport or in security, or in any place with no direct corrolation to your airline or flight, that you irrationally hate on first sight WILL be on your flight. But you won't sit next to him.
Your fascination or preoccupation with girls you consider hot is not appealing.

What is appealing is women who are intelligent, open, confident, funny and not afraid. Hotness is a distant second to everything else.
You have missed the boat. Your single minded pursuit of hotness has resulted in your passing up some of the best friendships and most interesting conversations in life. Smart girls choose when to look hot. Looking hot while traveling by air is not smart. It does get attention, however, from empty-headed, lizard-brained, narcissistic self appointed Hot Judges.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
On a trip to Miami I was seated between these two guys one of which was my seat mate and the other was across the isle from me. They were talking to each other ( talking across me)so I offered to trade seats with one or the other so that they could chat. One guy says to the other ( in Spanish), don't trade seats with her, keep her between us.
After take off I took out a book and they continued to talk over me in spanish. Then they started talking about me.
My hair, my eyes, my ummm rear end. I just kept reading my book. Then one says to his buddy.. I bet you can't get her number. LOL
So this guy starts talking to me.. Is that a good book? I looked at him and said .. It started out a little slow, but it's getting better the more I read, and I said it in Spanish followed by.. Did it ever occur to either one of you that I might possibly speak and understand Spanish? I wish I'd had a picture of the expression on the one guy's face.. The other guy busted out laughing at his embarrassed buddy. Both apologized and we ended up having a nice chat. And no.. He didn't get my number.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
Now days a person never knows what language someone may speak/understand other then English since the US is slowly turning into a Multilanguage society.

I had a similar situation as a teen when riding on a streetcar on the way home from school.

A mother and daughter (my age) sitting side by side while I stood holding on to a overhead strap.

They were conversing about my clothes, hair etc while I just stood there.

When my transfer came to change streetcars I leaned forward to press the buzzer and spoke in their tongue.......

"Excuse me please" in HUNGARIAN.

Both mouths opened wide realizing that I had understood every word they spoke.

Facial expression was a hardy laugh to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel