U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
My brother and I were on a tiny plane somewhere and we were sitting together. The guy in front of us kept trying to jam his seat back like a little kid who is unable to sit still and squirms in his seat. He kept jamming primarily into my brothers knees as well as one of my mine. So inconsiderate. I do not recline my seat cause I'm tall and don't like people sitting there jamming their seat into my kneecaps. So uncomfortable. Price I pay for being tall guess, but have some consideration and common sense when you are jamming back your seat and don't forget to apologize if you hit a person's kneecaps. What has happened to manners?
What's happened to common sense--like buying teh space you need instead of expecting others to give up their space for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting. Throughout these numerous threads about reclining seats, my opinion and my posts have always been that passengers have an absolute right to use the recline feature.

But the posts by Annerk in this thread have gotten increasingly rude and increasingly ridiculous, demonstrating zero consideration of valid points made by tall posters here. These posters have called for common courtesy and cooperation. Some have said that unless you are extremely tall, you simply wouldn't know how painful the situation can be. Some have said they try to get seats with extra legroom, but that it's not always possible. Someone gave a great example about how most people would make sure the person in the back seat of a car has enough legroom, and wouldn't insist on keeping the front seat pushed back all the way.

Annerk, you have pushed me to the other side. You have shown me that I do NOT want to insist on reclining to the point that others are made unnecessarily uncomfortable. The selfishness, arrogance, and overall ugliness you have shown in these threads is something I never want to resemble.

I renounce my previous opinion about reclining.

Peace.
Too bad you can't see my point. Common sense is that if you know in advance that you can't fit in an aircraft seat the way they are designed, you buy a seat you can fit into rather than expecting the world to revolve around you. It seems that people complaining about those who wish to use the seats the way they are designed are the snowflakes. If you can't fit in the seat, buy the space you need. It's no different for tall people than it is for overweight people, and it's not rocket science.

Why should someone else's comfort trump mine when they had the opportunity to buy the seat they needed to begin with? Instead they expect me to give up my comfort because they are cheap. They are the one's in the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
 
15,536 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Reputation: 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As I keep saying, I have the right to recline. Those who feel that they can't fit into a seat with the one in front of them being used in the manner in which it's designed should do what obese people do and buy a seat with additional legroom. Their lack of foresight and common sense is not my problem any more than the large person who can't put the armrest down.
You mention this "right"; where does it state you have such a right? You have as much right to recline as a person in front of you being to tall to allow you to recline; the airline sold the seats equally, you have no more or less "rights" over the person in front of you or behind you.

Now the point that has been brought up and ignored is; airlines have decreased the average seat space by three inches over the last ten years. While three inches does not seem much, it actually is a lot. The only group responsible for this idiotic reclining fiasco are the airlines.

While decreasing the seat space, no other allotments have been regarded into the issues this would cause. So while a person at 5'10" may not have an issue today, a few years from now they may have issues; to the point someone 5' tall will have their knees smashed into the seat.

Now, when the airline rents me my space, that is my space to use. I see no where that my space is subservient to someone's reclining space or vice versa; this is perhaps something for the airlines to clear up one day.

On another note; not all seats are the same; I notice many times there are seats that recline above my knee level, so when a person reclines, it is not actually reclining against my knees. Other seats seem to recline right on my knee. I have not made note if this is a new versus old plane, or different carriers, but there is a difference in seats. I would like to assume that older planes did not update their seats for shrinking seat space, while newer planes did modify seats for the shrinking seat space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
 
15,536 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Reputation: 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Too bad you can't see my point. Common sense is that if you know in advance that you can't fit in an aircraft seat the way they are designed, you buy a seat you can fit into rather than expecting the world to revolve around you. It seems that people complaining about those who wish to use the seats the way they are designed are the snowflakes. If you can't fit in the seat, buy the space you need. It's no different for tall people than it is for overweight people, and it's not rocket science.

Why should someone else's comfort trump mine when they had the opportunity to buy the seat they needed to begin with? Instead they expect me to give up my comfort because they are cheap. They are the one's in the wrong.
Actually, the person can fit into the space; the airline sold a certain size seat space, no where does it state this seat space is subservient to the person reclining.

I can reverse the argument on you; if you expect to recline, maybe you should purchase a seat where you know reclining will not be an issue. You seem to think reclining is some superior "right" over another person's rented seat space, even though the darn airline advertises the seat space as is when they sell the tickets. If the airline sells a ticket stating "33" of seat space", then why is this person not entitled to that space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,953,407 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Anyone who has a reclining seat should be allowed to recline that seat. If the person behind doesn't like it, tough. Maybe they should buy a business class seat next time
Because everybody can afford to do that, right? Who cares if you're making the person behind you uncomfortable, right?

What happened to common courtesy?

I agree with some others in this thread that if the airlines insist on packing people in like sardines, they shouldn't allow seats to recline. It just makes an uncomfortable flight even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,953,407 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I AM reclining. You have the option of buying a seat that you will fit in without infringing on teh rights of others to use their seat in the manner it was designed.

Just like I slammed the armrest down on the very fat person who insisted it stay up so they could take half my seat. Guess who got deplaned. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't me.
Wow, you are really a rude, unpleasant person. It's all about you, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,154 posts, read 6,323,627 times
Reputation: 100635
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you know you can't fit in your seat the way the seats on the airplane were designed, buy the space you need. Your problem is not mine. Period.
I fit in my seat just fine. I do not need a seatbelt extension. I can and prefer to lower the arm rests. I do not come in contact with the passenger in the seat next to me. In other words, I meet all of the airlines criteria for sitting in my seat. Nowhere does it say that no matter what I must be able to sit so that I do not impede the reclining of the seat in front of me. In fact the airline I called said it was not a criteria at all.

So far you have only based your argument on "I said that is how it is so therefore it must be". You have yet to provide a single hard fact to support your position. It looks like the problem is your's and not mine. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
 
1,161 posts, read 1,981,236 times
Reputation: 2584
Just curious - when the airline you called said it wasn't a criteria, what exactly does that mean? It's not clear to me. To be honest, it sounds like the airline gave you a vague response that could go either way.

As it is, airlines give people reclining seats, the anti reclining clamps are banned on all major US airlines and airline stewardesses will not tell you to not recline seats, except for meals and take off/landing. It tells me the airlines side with people's "right" to recline seats regardless of the passenger behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Nowhere does it say that no matter what I must be able to sit so that I do not impede the reclining of the seat in front of me. In fact the airline I called said it was not a criteria at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 PM
 
118 posts, read 183,651 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why didn't you buy a seat for the child? Would you put them in a car without a car seat? Or is your wallet worth more than your child's life?
The airlines allow me to travel with an infant on my lap. That's my right, because that's the rules they set. (Just projecting things I've heard on this thread...not usually how I discuss things with people, honestly...) And yes, if I wouldn't get a ticket for it, I would ABSOLUTELY put them in a car without a car seat, because 85% of car seats are misinstalled, making them a 60 pound projectile in a car accident instead of a safety feature. But we're not talking car seats, we're talking planes. And frankly, if that plane goes down, a car seat isn't saving my kid. That's a fact that's cold to put in writing, but it is what it is.

I am a VERY tolerant flyer who is always so extremely conscious of my children's behaviors on flights that I have never once taken a flight with them in which numerous strangers stop me afterwards to compliment them - but I have officially decided to keep some red-dye filled candy in my bag from now on in case you're sitting anywhere near us. Wow. I have never experienced someone with as much unabashed egotism, selfishness and self-righteousness in my life - and I work in Hollywood! This thread has made my day! What a read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 PM
 
15,536 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Reputation: 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Just curious - when the airline you called said it wasn't a criteria, what exactly does that mean? It's not clear to me. To be honest, it sounds like the airline gave you a vague response that could go either way.

As it is, airlines give people reclining seats, the anti reclining clamps are banned on all major US airlines and airline stewardesses will not tell you to not recline seats, except for meals and take off/landing. It tells me the airlines side with people's "right" to recline seats regardless of the passenger behind them.
No, a person can recline their seat, but as such, the airline is not going to make a passenger move if they are too tall for a person to recline their seat; the airlines have also established by practice that a person does not have an unrestricted right to recline their seat. If a seat will not recline due to the person behind being too tall, that is just too bad for the person wanting to recline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top