U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A person purchases a ticket based on the information provided on the airline's website or other sources. If the airline states a certain amount of seat pitch, then this is what you as a consumer is purchasing.

The airline can always move anyone to anything different, back before all of these seat issues and different pricing even began, I often got emergency exit row seats because I was tall, I did not request this or anything. Even now, I have been put a few times into more leg room areas without me paying anything extra just because the space was available, however, that is up to the airline, and that was a courtesy to me, not to anyone else. I also had the option to decline every single time.

Of course a person has the right to recline their seat, did I state anything different? However, a person does not have an unrestricted right to recline their seat; a tall person will not be forced off the plane because the person in front of them cannot physically recline their seat, a tall person is not forced to move to another seat, a tall person is not forced to pay more for a seat with more legroom; a person wanting to recline their seat does not have a superior right over another in this example, however, if physically possible, the person can recline their seat just fine when they want as other conditions allow.

You seem to have missed the part of my post (either by accident or on purpose) where I stated the airlines are renting the same space twice, and have not addressed this issue. Essentially, the airline is telling person A they have so much legroom available, but tell person B they have so much reclining room available, but the airlines are selling part of this space to two people, and conflicts will arise just as they will arise from selling any space to two people who want to use it.

However, in practice, the tall person's knees again the seat in front of them has always been accommodated over the person wanting to recline, and the reason is quite simply because there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about the tall person short of cutting off their legs. They can offer an area with more legroom, but with flights running almost full, this is rarely available.
Actually they can do a lot of things. They choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Can you dunk a basketball? I can do so without even trying hard. Jump up a little bit and put the ball in the hoop. What's the big deal?

Frankly, if someone like you asked me if I play basketball professionally, I would reply, "No. Do you jockey horses?"

(I quit doing that for all but the special snowflakes. Even though I really get sick of the questions about my basketball prowess. I eventually came to realize this was just society's way of asking what it's like to be tall without actually coming out and asking, "What's it like to be tall?" They're taken aback when I tell them that it's horrible, awful, annoying, very painful, and bad for my longevity. (We don't live as long as shorter people.))
It seems like you think of yourself as a special snowflake, as you refuse to take responsibility for your height and buy a seat in which you'll be comfortable. Instead you would prefer to expect others to be less comfortable because you refuse to take responsibility for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:06 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm basing it on physical reality. When I am in my "space" that I have rented, absolutely NOTHING is going to impinge on that space because it is physically impossible. And for the second time in this thread, "Suck it up, Buttercup."

Because it is unreasonable for you to demand that I buy a first class ticket for $10K, or even two coach seats. I fit JUST FINE in my space, even though it eventually becomes quite painful for me. But you ain't reclining.

I do everything in my power to make sure that my flight does not interfere with your ability to recline. But on those handful of times where it might, the airline, the attendants and most of society see it my way. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. Whamming your seat back in a futile and puerile manner is not going to have any positive outcome. The last time I hit the attendant button, the person in front of me was given the choice between "knock it off" and "handcuffs."
Are you dense? No one EVER suggested you pay $10,000 for a first class ticket. We are suggesting that you pay a small extra cost to book a seat in which you won't infringe on the comfort of others.

You don't do everything in your power, because you refuse to spend a few extra dollars for seats with more leg room. Talk about selfish and entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I wonder where he's from, or going to, that he's getting all this interest for being tall. Where I live (in NJ), no is gawking at you or asking weird questions unless you're literally 7 feet tall. It's not uncommon to see men who are 6'3-6'5 which is pretty tall.
I think he's full of it and has never been on a plane in his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You obviously are not understanding; the complaints are about a person's KNEES already being nudged up against the seat in front of them, thus making it impossible on many aircraft for the person in front to recline. Has absolutely nothing to do with someone being fat.
Someone earlier in the thread complained that they couldn't put down their tray table with the seat in front of them reclined, so the FA wouldn't give them a beverage. I call bunk unless they were obese. Even then the FA would still give them a beverage. Yet another who has probably never been on a plane in their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,153 posts, read 6,322,548 times
Reputation: 100630
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually you are wrong.

First of all, unless you are about eight feet tall, you wouldn't be tall enough to sneeze over the seat back unless you stood up and did it on purpose. Every time you kicked my seat, I'd slam back into your knees. If you spill a drink on me, the FA is getting involved, and it would be you who would have a problem with the air marshall.
Interesting. If someone "accidently" spills their drink on you that person is an inconsiderate jerk that needs to be tossed from the flight. More than once you have said your drink might "accidently" get spilled on the passenger behind you. What does that make you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,153 posts, read 6,322,548 times
Reputation: 100630
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually you are wrong.

First of all, unless you are about eight feet tall, you wouldn't be tall enough to sneeze over the seat back unless you stood up and did it on purpose.
I am not even remotely about eight feet tall. However if I wanted to I could sneeze over the seat in front of me without standing. I am starting to wonder if you have ever been on an airplane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Interesting. If someone "accidently" spills their drink on you that person is an inconsiderate jerk that needs to be tossed from the flight. More than once you have said your drink might "accidently" get spilled on the passenger behind you. What does that make you?
I don't believe I've said that--several others have said it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I am not even remotely about eight feet tall. However if I wanted to I could sneeze over the seat in front of me without standing. I am starting to wonder if you have ever been on an airplane.
Far more often than I'd like. And I've had to deal with far too many entitled horses asses who thought they could spread their legs into my space, or worse yet their newspapers--that's a pet peeve for sure. I don't see how you would be able to do this unless you are very tall. The seats don't recline that far. They just don't. That's the truth.

Fortunately I usually fly in the pointy end because I spend too much time absorbing solar radiation and don't typically have to deal with people who don't take responsibility for themselves and book a seat they'll be comfortable in without inconveniencing others. That said, a few months ago I was in my typical 2D and the idiot behind me actually complained when I reclined. I ignored him. He then spent the next five minutes banging on my seat back. I raised it and slammed it back. He got the hint. The best part was that he was probably all of 5'6" and had an obvious Napoleon complex.

By the way--for those who don't know--the tray table in first doesn't fold down, it flips up out of the armrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM
 
11,932 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Reputation: 19328
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And they will go to jail with me laughing in their face.

Anyone who knowingly books a seat they can't fit into needs to be put on a no fly list.
I think there are too many variables here -- not everyone flying is the person who is booking. Companies have people who do the bookings and have restrictions they must follow.

We are 5 minutes away from a major airport, and when my husband worked for a large company they outright REFUSED to book anything from Oakland, he HAD to fly out of San Francisco. That's over a two hour drive, because they also refused to book him at a non commute time. And I dropped him at the airport because parking ate up his per diem....

He kept putting his foot down, and finally I started booking his flights at home and he expensed it. THAT ticked off the higher ups. He also insisted on a certain hotel that was cheaper because the cable was better. That ticked off his manager who wanted to stay at some 500 buck a night place... too much politics.

And even so -- there aren't many seats where there is more leg room. It is what it is.

That's why I fly Southwest. I prefer puddle jumping. I might take me three hours longer to get where I'm going, but I have time to walk the airport, get my bearings, calm down (I am a bad flyer) grab a healthy snack and water... My favorite flight -- Oakland to Chicago Midway then to Pittsburgh.

And how do you slam a seat back? I've never been on one that slams -- the hydraulics seem to prevent it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top