U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Should be allowed and being able are two different things.

Many in my family are tall... it is often a lock... knees are against the seat ahead... no buts about it.

I agree... the person that must recline needs to book business...
Why? They are using the seat as it was designed. Why shouldn't the ones preventing that use be the ones to pay for more space?

I'd like to know if those who are so against reclining recline themselves? I'll bet the far majority do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have all that money annerk has to buy 1st class seats with the room to recline. Obviously she hasn't flown in coach where 98% of all the seating is the same tight space.
First of all, I usually get free upgrades because I fly a lot and remain LOYAL to one carrier/alliance.

Second, when I travel for leisure I use miles to upgrade on long hauls. When traveling someplace where my alliance doesn't fly to, I buy premium economy or business. If it's a shorter flight I'll pay for the extra legroom space in the main cabin.

Every now and then I end up in coach because of ir ops or because I change my flight last minute. The gate agents usually hold back a few premium seats in economy for the most valued customers, but every now and then the change is made so close to boarding that they have already been allocated.

I'm not sure that I've ever paid with cash for a first class seat, but I've bought premium economy and extra legroom twice this year with cash out of my pocket.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Deal with it.
I'll tell you what, I'll recline and YOU deal with it. Your lack of common sense in buying a seat where you wont' infringe on others is not my problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 AM

14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why? They are using the seat as it was designed. Why shouldn't the ones preventing that use be the ones to pay for more space?

I'd like to know if those who are so against reclining recline themselves? I'll bet the far majority do.
I don't. I don't need to, I get a window seat & sleep against the window. Also, why bother reclining when you can't even tell that you're reclined? The amount the seat goes back is miniscule to you but it's a huge pain in the ass for the person behind you. I'm polite like that though.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'll tell you what, I'll recline and YOU deal with it. Your lack of common sense in buying a seat where you wont' infringe on others is not my problem.
You may find this hard to believe but I could care less what you think.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I don't. I don't need to, I get a window seat & sleep against the window. Also, why bother reclining when you can't even tell that you're reclined? The amount the seat goes back is miniscule to you but it's a huge pain in the ass for the person behind you. I'm polite like that though.
I don't like the window as I often need to use the lav during the flight and don't want to bother people sitting next to me to do so.

That little bit of recline makes a big difference on my back. Or is my comfort not as important than the person behind me because I'm not fat or tall?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You may find this hard to believe but I could care less what you think.
Then why do you keep responding to my posts?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Then why do you keep responding to my posts?
Because it's amusing. Your know it all attitude is so desperate.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM

150 posts, read 177,264 times
Quote:
I don't like the window as I often need to use the lav during the flight and don't want to bother people sitting next to me to do so.

That little bit of recline makes a big difference on my back. Or is my comfort not as important than the person behind me because I'm not fat or tall?
Not sure I follow your logic: you seem to be considerate of those beside you, but not the person directly behind you. Moreover, I don't believe that the slight comfort you may gain from reclining your seat trumps the potentially significant discomfort the person behind would experience when you recline your seat, especially without notice.

I'm pretty tall, so my knees are up against the seat in front of me. Although I don't try to prevent that seat-holder from reclining, I appreciate it when he/she asks first, instead of just dropping it without warning, from which I've gotten hurt more than once. I do the same for the person behind me; if they object, I keep the seat up.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
That is to say, have you ever forcibly stopped and individual in front of you from fully reclining their seat by exerting force against the back to make them think the seat has hit its maximum recline position?

I have.

I plan on doing it again.

I have not, and would not. I've flown only coach, and those seats don't recline far enough to make that big of a difference to me. You obviously do not have back trouble or you would understand why people feel the need to adjust their seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel