U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why should I pay for something I already get--a reclining seat?
Why should someone pay extra for getting what they should get as normal...leg room? I hope I'm on a flight with you sometime, it'd be super fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why should someone pay extra for getting what they should get as normal...leg room? I hope I'm on a flight with you sometime, it'd be super fun.
NORMAL people DO get leg room.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Quote:
NORMAL people DO get leg room.
LOL, what constitutes a normal person. Such a preposterous statement. And the credibility declines.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
Honestly, this has never been an issue for me, personally, on a flight I've been on. I generally never even wanted to recline my seat, because I've found most of the seats don't recline far enough to make a meaningful improvement in my comfort anyway. (In my car, I tend to keep the seat reclined fairly far back, by contrast.)

The *real* problem is that the airlines got so cheap and tried to squish everyone in so tightly, reclining seat-backs are now impractical.

Generally, I despise the ENTIRE flight experience, with all the post 9-11 security nonsense, grumpy flight or gate attendants, price gouging by the airlines on every little detail, and more.
I use to fly to Seattle and Germany for work...

Got to the point where I only go to Germany when I must...

As for Seattle... I will drive and have done so the last few years... door to door is 5 hours flying and 12 driving... when I drive I can take all the tools and supplies with me as opposed to having to ship separate.

At one time I enjoyed flying... and that was a long time ago and back in the day I would get complimentary upgrades to business and even first class with Lufthansa and Pan Am.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
LOL, what constitutes a normal person. Such a preposterous statement. And the credibility declines.
Might be onto something...

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses to make accommodations for people that are not "Normal"

This could also trigger and Federal Standard for leg room and seat recline and it could be color coded so passengers would know what to expect once adopted.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,938,312 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm going to use the amenities on the seat as it was sold to me, including the recline. You can sit in the lav if you need to.
Except the seat's not strong enough to break my femurs, no matter how hard you slam it back. I win.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You obviously are not understanding; the complaints are about a person's KNEES already being nudged up against the seat in front of them, thus making it impossible on many aircraft for the person in front to recline. Has absolutely nothing to do with someone being fat.
As an aside, I wonder how fat you'd have to be to have fat in front of your kneecaps?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I usually don't recline on short flights (under 4 hrs), if it's a red-eye then I will absolutely be reclining my seat to sleep and I expect the person behind me is doing the same. It's never been a problem as most people are sleeping. If it's a trans-continental flight then same applies - most people recline to sleep. Again, never been an issue. As someone who is 5'7 145 lbs this is one time it's fantastic to be shorter and smaller haha! vindication for all the other times we are discriminated against...
Yeah, when reclining is actually necessary, everyone does it at the same time. They remove your dinner tray, you recline. They come round with breakfast, you put your seat up. But, they're also flights with decent legroom anyway, 31 inch pitch at a minimum according to google.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 PM

466 posts, read 290,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, you are not reclining. You aren't capable of generating enough force to move the seat so much as a smidge.

Here's why:

I have to duck to avoid hitting my head on the airplane ceiling. I'm very much like one of the people referenced in the article that goes along with this photo. Here it is: Flying can be 'hell' for tall passengers - CNN.com

And I am telling you that if it comes down to your right to recline and my right to sit uncomfortably in the seat that I paid for -- same as you -- the flight attendants are going to side with me. They always have before.

But they do everything in their power to make sure that doesn't happen.
You may notice that the big guy has his own seat reclined...he should have bought a bigger seat, or, if one was not available on that flight, booked a different flight that had a bigger seat available.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:50 AM

71 posts, read 71,958 times
Fly Allegiant or Spirit and problem solved. None of their seats recline. After flying on those airlines a few times, it might not seem so bad to have a seat back in your lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel