U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,595,335 times
Reputation: 526

Advertisements

I hope airlines get rid of reclining seats like Ryanair do on their planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I hope airlines get rid of reclining seats like Ryanair do on their planes.
If you're happy with carriers like that, stick to Spirit. Of course by the time you get done paying their insipid fees you would have been able to buy an economy comfort seat on a legacy or Jet Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 PM
 
405 posts, read 420,088 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I hope airlines get rid of reclining seats like Ryanair do on their planes.
That's just as selfish as somebody saying that they have a right to recline simply because their seat reclines. Yes, I've said that and I will stand by that statement, but I have also never infringed on somebody else's right to recline their seat unless you count me asking the large passenger to put his up a little bit or the very few times I've asked somebody to put it up so I could go to the bathroom.

You're worried about your own comfort and that's fine, but what makes your comfort any more important than the comfort of the person in front of you who may need to recline a little bit, or even all the way?

This is all due to a sense of entitlement that most people feel nowadays. People feel they are entitled to their own space when they are on a plane. They are entitled to that space, but that space includes the area the seat covers when it's fully reclined too. It's the sense of entitlement that makes one passenger inconvenience 150+ other passengers by getting a flight diverted just because the person in front of them reclines their seat. It doesn't matter to somebody like that if people miss their connections because of a BS stop. I'd be willing to bet you that on that particular plane, probably 45-50% of the passengers had reclined at least a little bit, but she was the only one that made a big deal about it and she had probably reclined as well. Instead of using common sense, which is the most uncommon thing in the world, and communicating with each other and trying to reach a compromise, you have people using knee defenders, throwing a temper tantrum, or just behaving childish because they aren't the center of the universe for a few hours. Whenever we fly, everybody on the plane with you is trapped in the same metal tube as you. Why do we have to make it more uncomfortable than it already is?

Before you blame the airlines for the current state of things, remember one thing. The airlines responded to the passengers wanting lower airfare. To get lower airfare, the airlines were obviously going to get rid of certain services while also increasing the potential load on each plane. We, the passengers, are the ones to blame for this. That includes me when I say that also. I would much rather spend say $300 to fly to Vegas for instance than take 2-3 days to drive there. It's a 4 hour flight to Vegas. I don't need fancy meals or any of the other things that people want to whine about not having anymore. Keep me hydrated and get me where I'm going safely, and hopefully at the time you claim you're going to get me there, and I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,557 posts, read 52,667,627 times
Reputation: 70811
I wish airfare prices would skyrocket so flying could be fun again like it was 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Northern Ireland
3,402 posts, read 2,595,335 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
That's just as selfish as somebody saying that they have a right to recline simply because their seat reclines. Yes, I've said that and I will stand by that statement, but I have also never infringed on somebody else's right to recline their seat unless you count me asking the large passenger to put his up a little bit or the very few times I've asked somebody to put it up so I could go to the bathroom.

You're worried about your own comfort and that's fine, but what makes your comfort any more important than the comfort of the person in front of you who may need to recline a little bit, or even all the way?

This is all due to a sense of entitlement that most people feel nowadays. People feel they are entitled to their own space when they are on a plane. They are entitled to that space, but that space includes the area the seat covers when it's fully reclined too. It's the sense of entitlement that makes one passenger inconvenience 150+ other passengers by getting a flight diverted just because the person in front of them reclines their seat. It doesn't matter to somebody like that if people miss their connections because of a BS stop. I'd be willing to bet you that on that particular plane, probably 45-50% of the passengers had reclined at least a little bit, but she was the only one that made a big deal about it and she had probably reclined as well. Instead of using common sense, which is the most uncommon thing in the world, and communicating with each other and trying to reach a compromise, you have people using knee defenders, throwing a temper tantrum, or just behaving childish because they aren't the center of the universe for a few hours. Whenever we fly, everybody on the plane with you is trapped in the same metal tube as you. Why do we have to make it more uncomfortable than it already is?

Before you blame the airlines for the current state of things, remember one thing. The airlines responded to the passengers wanting lower airfare. To get lower airfare, the airlines were obviously going to get rid of certain services while also increasing the potential load on each plane. We, the passengers, are the ones to blame for this. That includes me when I say that also. I would much rather spend say $300 to fly to Vegas for instance than take 2-3 days to drive there. It's a 4 hour flight to Vegas. I don't need fancy meals or any of the other things that people want to whine about not having anymore. Keep me hydrated and get me where I'm going safely, and hopefully at the time you claim you're going to get me there, and I'm happy.
It won't be a right to recline if it is taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
It won't be a right to recline if it is taken away.
That isn't going to happen on the legacy mainlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Reputation: 20418
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you are so tall that you can't fit in coach when the seats recline, you need to book business. I have long legs and a reclined seat will hit my knees. I'm smart enough to know this and book business class. I do this so I don't impact another paid passenger's experience. Anyone who thinks they can prevent another person from reclining has entitlement issues.
If it is physically impossible it is impossible.

I've booked extra room seats only to find out my confirmed seat was reassigned... last time it was because a seat belt was broken... another time it was because a family was traveling together and wanted to be together.

The ONLY person, group or thing that has control of seats is the airline...

Anything else is blame the victim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM
 
405 posts, read 420,088 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You failed pretty hard at reading comprehension. I explained that if someone decided to slam their seat back, as the previous poster had alluded to, and in doing so they vandalized my equipment, I would hold their belongings to prevent them from running away without paying for the things they vandalized.

Destroying another persons property is illegal. Holding their property to ensure I receive compensation for the damage they did is entirely reasonable and is a tactic used in several court systems.

You suggest that no ones the space, but you surely believe you have a right to be free from assault. When I sit down in my seat, my legs block the seat in front of me from reclining. That is simply the length of my bones. Now you wouldn't want someone to use a seat to push your bones out of the way, so why do you suggest that tall people should have to deal with it? Should I stoop over the entire flight since there won't be enough room for my butt to be on the seat, nor enough room for me to stand upright?
I can say right now that if I was to lean back and break something of yours, that you wouldn't be grabbing my bag and holding it for anything. You could try to get my information, but no matter what the reason, I don't see myself giving you, or anybody I meet on a flight, my personal information. You could try to go through the airline and get the information, but if they gave it out, I'd have a lawsuit against them and I'd get a lot more than you'd get out of me. You could try the police and they would succeed in the getting the information, but unless you were claiming that I grabbed your stuff out of your hands and broke it intentionally, I doubt they'd do much about it.

I do guarantee that if you grab my bags and try to hold them, then the police will be contacted no matter what your reason is and I would personally charge you with theft, again no matter what your reasoning is.

Also, you are not a court system so you can't legally do what you claim simply because many court systems do it.

Now, to the reason for the topic. I was reading through the posts I hadn't made it to before my earlier posts. The problem with people wanting the airlines to give them more legroom is that it's a never-ending process. For instance, if tomorrow the airlines decided to remove 4 rows of seats to give passengers more room, then in say 4-5 years, people will still whine that they don't have enough space. You could give everybody as much space as first class has and eventually, people would still be crying about this again. Even in a seat with plenty of space, people will still whine about people reclining. No, they may not do it immediately, but give them a few years and they would. They would still feel that they are entitled to a seat where the person in front of them doesn't, or can't, recline. A lot of us are from the United States and that's our way. We get whatever extra we can get and then demand more. So no matter what the airlines do, this argument will never end. It may go through some brief periods where it seems to have ended, but it will always be there. Telling people to buy first class or business class is just a temporary solution to a problem that has no solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,562 posts, read 1,351,750 times
Reputation: 2034
I was flying once and sitting in coach in the front row of the section. In front of me was another section (can't recall if it was first class or just another section since it was quite a number of years ago) There was a a partial curtain between the sections that snapped (fastened) to the back of the seat in front of me. So this heavy set guy in front of me is struggling to recline his seat and after several unsuccessful tries, he looks back at me with a pissed look on his face and says.....would you please stop blocking my seat from reclining (spoken in a pissed voice)......to which I pointed to the snaps fastening the half curtain to the back of his seat which were actually what was stopping him from fully reclining.

His head snapped forward and he never looked back again.....and I believe he did stop trying to recline. Don't you think he'd look back and figure out the problem before engaging me ? He never did apologize....but I remember muttering just loudly enough so he could hear.....what a moron !

Wouldn't you think he'd at least say "oh, sorry" with a smile ? That would have made both of us feel better and probably given us both a laugh....lol.

Last edited by jasper1372; 09-15-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Reputation: 20418
I spoke with my Godfather yesterday and back in the day he was a very frequent flyer on PanAm at least once a month to Europe, Far East or South America... company paid for business class and would allow him to cash in the Business Class tickets toward two coach tickets if a family member was accompanying him.

He said reclining seats and legroom was never an issue for the millions of miles he flew in the 60's and 80's and profession was a guidance systems for Lockheed... so he was well versed with all things aeronautical... his company built many of the planes in service back then like the L1011.

Make no mistake... the seat/leg formula is pushing the envelope to see just how much can be squeezed until the public pushes back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top