U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2014, 07:02 AM
 
Location: England
24,774 posts, read 6,163,509 times
Reputation: 30389

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Anyone who has a reclining seat should be allowed to recline that seat. If the person behind doesn't like it, tough. Maybe they should buy a business class seat next time
The seats recline for a good reason. Any flight more than a few hours gets very uncomfortable in the upright position. Even slightly reclining is a relief, especially for folks with back problems. I recline at least slightly on longer flights, and have no problem with people who do the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 AM
 
1,161 posts, read 1,980,229 times
Reputation: 2584
I don't think I've ever seen an airline tray that was big enough to accommodate both a laptop and a drink, so your argument here is pretty weak.

The trays do extend back on most flights I've been on. I've worked on a laptop while the seat in front of me was reclined. Not ideal but it was feasible for me.

So, you're saying you would commit theft (illegal) because someone exercised their ability to lean back, which isn't illegal or disallowed by the airline?

No one "owns" the space their seat occupies. I can't, for example, prevent someone from crossing over me when they need to go to the bathroom (I was once on a flight when the passenger next to me needed to go to the restroom at least a dozen times!). This involved multiple juggling of laptops, books, blankets and pillows. But nothing I could do about it.

Flights are uncomfortable. Get used to it. But they don't last forever.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
So funny, if someone slammed a seat back into me and ruined my laptop (say knocking a drink onto it when the plane is not in motion), I'd have their luggage before they knew what happened. They'd probably miss the connecting flight if they had one because they'd be stuck going to the ATM or having their things repossessed. As a tall person, I regularly block the seat from reclining just by sitting in my seat. The seats are not designed for the length of my thigh bones. It isn't being fat, it is simply being tall. When I can get seats with more leg room, I do. When I can't, I don't, but reclining in a seat isn't a right when the reclining moves through another persons space. Anyone who thinks it is will find out that I have decided my fist has a right to the space their head was occupying.

This is ironic, because when you couldn't reach the overhead bin, I would've been the first person to volunteer to load and unload your things for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
Reputation: 4409
Does anyone else prefer to not recline their seat? I can't sleep only halfway laying down, and at least I feel like my back is supported properly at 90 degrees. I'm not a short guy either, about 5'11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Does anyone else prefer to not recline their seat? I can't sleep only halfway laying down, and at least I feel like my back is supported properly at 90 degrees. I'm not a short guy either, about 5'11.
I find the small recline from a coach seat is conducive to napping. I have a problem with the 160-170 degree recline seats in some business and PE sections. I find it's more comfortable to have the seat a few degrees reclined like in economy if I'm not in a lay flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

No one "owns" the space their seat occupies. I can't, for example, prevent someone from crossing over me when they need to go to the bathroom (I was once on a flight when the passenger next to me needed to go to the restroom at least a dozen times!). This involved multiple juggling of laptops, books, blankets and pillows. But nothing I could do about it.
Actually, I've had this exact circumstance occur on a transatlantic flight when I had the aisle seat (which I prefer). I offered to change seats with the lady, who was on the window. All three people in that row were very relieved and grateful that she accepted my offer.

It's called consideration and compromise, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
 
1,161 posts, read 1,980,229 times
Reputation: 2584
Yes, it's called consideration. But you're asking for consideration on your terms.

I'm quiet. I don't move about much. I don't have bad body odor. I'm not overweight. I'm not chatty. I don't demand things and service that aren't possible. I consider myself an ideal passenger. As it is, the airline allows me to recline, so if I feel like it, I recline.

By the way, the woman in question wouldn't move because she wanted the window seat. She claimed to be claustrophobic and needed to look out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, I've had this exact circumstance occur on a transatlantic flight when I had the aisle seat (which I prefer). I offered to change seats with the lady, who was on the window. All three people in that row were very relieved and grateful that she accepted my offer.

It's called consideration and compromise, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24162
[quote=Tallybalt;36299173]Yes, it's called consideration. But you're asking for consideration on your terms.

I'm quiet. I don't move about much. I don't have bad body odor. I'm not overweight. I'm not chatty. I don't demand things and service that aren't possible. I consider myself an ideal passenger. As it is, the airline allows me to recline, so if I feel like it, I recline.

By the way, the woman in question wouldn't move because she wanted the window seat. She claimed to be claustrophobic and needed to look out the window.[/quo

No, I'm not asking for consideration on my terms. This lady you encountered was inconsiderate and unable to compromise.

Frankly, after a few of these interruptions, I would have spoken to the FA, asking to have my seat changed. I sleep on planes (even 1 hour trips - very lucky that way), so I don't want to have someone crawling out every half hour. People with issues like claustrophobia, leaky bladders, etc. need to understand that they are the one with the problem and not inflict it on other passengers. And, to a degree, extra tall and extra wide people have to make the same compromises or be prepared to make other arrangements for their own comfort.

In any event, this long, sometimes ridiculous thread has reminded me to always let the person behind me know that I am going to incline my seat. And to do it slowly. And to raise it when I eat. And to be reasonably considerate if the person behind me has an issue with the incline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,689 posts, read 8,472,440 times
Reputation: 29365
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The seats recline for a good reason. Any flight more than a few hours gets very uncomfortable in the upright position. Even slightly reclining is a relief, especially for folks with back problems. I recline at least slightly on longer flights, and have no problem with people who do the same to me.
Exactly. The fact that a person is very tall and won't pay for an extra legroom seat is not something under my control. It is unfortunate that the airlines are so money hungry nowadays that they charge tall people more for seats with extra legroom, but OTOH, since I'm 5'2", I have to pay the seamstress to get every pair of pants I buy hemmed up My flights are always at least five hours, and I have no option but to take the red eye, since that is all that is available. I get too sleepy to stay upright and awake at 3AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 01:19 PM
 
3,245 posts, read 4,367,620 times
Reputation: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Of course if they are an ass about it I slam the seat back as hard as I can.
I'll call BS on this. At worst, that "ass" would kick yours. At least, you'd get a drink dumped on you. 'Accidentally', of course. Perhaps several times, if it was a 'bumpy' flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I'll call BS on this. At worst, that "ass" would kick yours. At least, you'd get a drink dumped on you. 'Accidentally', of course. Perhaps several times, if it was a 'bumpy' flight.
Uh yeah, sure. The second someone assaulted me for using my seat in the way it was designed, they'd be leaving the plane in handcuffs. It's not possible to accidentally dump a drink on the person in front of you. You're all talk, when push comes to shove you'd be whining like a two year old because you were too damn cheap to buy a seat you could fit into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top