Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

I never have stopped someone on purpose, but on some airlines, much more now days than years before, my knees are smashed into the seat in front of me, so the person cannot physically recline the seat back at all (I am 6'4"). I tend to sit the isle so I just throw my legs out when I can.

I have never had any issues, nor do I care if someone does try and is successful at reclining their seats back. I blame the airlines for all of this, they have taken a few inches away in seat space over the last ten years. There is an equilibrium point in which there is just not enough space, blaming the passengers is pretty ridiculous, especially since this was not even an issue ten years ago, even for overweight people as they have made the seats narrower as well.

I am not by any means overweight, but I sit in some of these seats and feel like I am sitting in one of those desk chairs for kindergartners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
When we fly with our toddler, the person sitting in front is forced to sit upright because the toddler car seat butts up against the back of the seat. We know it's an inconvenience, so before takeoff, we always offer to buy that person some food or drink. Unfortunately, everyone is too polite and has never taken us up on our offer.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I wonder how long until someone posts that their right to recline trumps Mr. Zero's toddler's safety and says the flight attendants will require Mr. Zero to either hold his toddler in-lap or buy a second seat for his toddler?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I'll call BS on this. At worst, that "ass" would kick yours. At least, you'd get a drink dumped on you. 'Accidentally', of course. Perhaps several times, if it was a 'bumpy' flight.
Wow, I hope you aren't as childish as your scenario outlines. The OP's behavior is absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand why people can't just be adults and choose seats with extra legroom if they have an issue with another passenger using their seats as intended. I've never run into such sophomoric behavior in my travels.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
That is to say, have you ever forcibly stopped and individual in front of you from fully reclining their seat by exerting force against the back to make them think the seat has hit its maximum recline position?

I do this every time I fly. I have no choice. My knees are going to wedge against the seat in front of me (unless I score a bulkhead seat or one of the unusual seats that I occasionally find on Pacific long-hauls. And this usually happens, read on.)

I have absolutely no choice in the matter. My body type is identical to that of "Hodor" from Game of Thrones. The only good thing about being freakishly tall, is that the gate attendants and flight attendants take one look at me and give me the seat with the most legroom. It's still a miserable experience. But usually I am not eating my knees.

But if I had any choice in the matter, I would be polite.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Have you seen these little gadgets?

The original Knee Defender - travel gadgets accessory - airplane legroom, DVT - travel accessories

Which cause wars like this:

United flight diverts over 'Knee Defender' fight

I'm really starting to think that if they are going to pack people in like cattle, they should just remove the ability to recline the seats, period. My husband is 6'1 with very long legs -- air travel is miserable for him, because his hip to knee length is longer than usual. We pay extra for extra leg room, when we can, but sometimes, we get stuck -- and almost always behind a 6 year old who thinks it's fun to play with the seat. :-/ One time, my husband got up, stood in the aisle, and made eye contact with the mother of a chair-happy youngster (she had her ear plugs in and was happily oblivious) and said, nicely, "M'am, if you can't control your child, should I call the captain?" The kid was immediately dealt with. The mother glared, but at least my husband didn't end up with any more bruises.
LOL.
My husband is an airline pilot so when we travel, it is usually on his airline and either we're going non-rev, which means standby, or we try to plan ahead and reserve guaranteed seats using positive space.

This means by far and large, we almost always wind up in coach. He is 6ft6inches tall with a 36 inch inseam. He eats the seat in front of him regardless if they recline or not.

If it's your seat, you have the right to recline. I got totally hosed on our last trip though because we sat in the last row that cannot recline, and a really big dude in front of me reclined his seat all the way back, effectively making me feel like a sardine. Still, it was his right to do, and when I have a seat that reclines, I use it by all means. Chronic lower back pain makes the upright position in a an airplane somewhat uncomfortable and reclining the seat partially rectifies the issue.

I think it's pretty messed up when people try and prevent the poor sap in front of him/her from reclining. Those devices they're selling now are just reflective of how rude as a society we've become

Old 08-31-2014, 06:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
LOL.

If it's your seat, you have the right to recline. I got totally hosed on our last trip though because we sat in the last row that cannot recline, and a really big dude in front of me reclined his seat all the way back, effectively making me feel like a sardine. Still, it was his right to do, and when I have a seat that reclines, I use it by all means. Chronic lower back pain makes the upright position in a an airplane somewhat uncomfortable and reclining the seat partially rectifies the issue.
Exactly! The airlines make the seats so they recline. It's not the passengers fault airlines have put more, and more seats in the cabin. I have back problems of many years standing. I'm fine in real life, but put me in one of those airplane seats, and it doesn't take long to feel uncomfortable. If we fly to Spain, which is only a couple of hours, I don't recline. But, when we fly to Las Vegas...... well, this is a flight of going on 11 hours. You just gotta recline!!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I never have stopped someone on purpose, but on some airlines, much more now days than years before, my knees are smashed into the seat in front of me, so the person cannot physically recline the seat back at all (I am 6'4"). I tend to sit the isle so I just throw my legs out when I can.

I have never had any issues, nor do I care if someone does try and is successful at reclining their seats back. I blame the airlines for all of this, they have taken a few inches away in seat space over the last ten years. There is an equilibrium point in which there is just not enough space, blaming the passengers is pretty ridiculous, especially since this was not even an issue ten years ago, even for overweight people as they have made the seats narrower as well.

I am not by any means overweight, but I sit in some of these seats and feel like I am sitting in one of those desk chairs for kindergartners.
Actually the seats haven't gotten any narrower. For example the body on a 737 hasn't changed in width since it was introduced, and it has always borne a 3 x 3 configuration in economy.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
When we fly with our toddler, the person sitting in front is forced to sit upright because the toddler car seat butts up against the back of the seat. We know it's an inconvenience, so before takeoff, we always offer to buy that person some food or drink. Unfortunately, everyone is too polite and has never taken us up on our offer.
Perhaps you should consider having your spouse or another child sit in the seat in front of your toddler. That way when s/he inevitably kicks the seat, it will be his family dealing with it as opposed to a stranger.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I wonder how long until someone posts that their right to recline trumps Mr. Zero's toddler's safety and says the flight attendants will require Mr. Zero to either hold his toddler in-lap or buy a second seat for his toddler?
I am 100% for MANDATING child seats for children on flights. No seat, no boarding for any kid under the age of three, no excuses. If the airlines were smart they would figure out a way to assign rows starting in the rear of the plane and working forward to kids who will be in car seats and their party so there will be minimal impact on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel