U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I would be willing to ride in the brig, the left lavatory or even the baggage hold if it meant a couple more inches of leg room.
You and me both. Short(er) people just don't get it. Even people who are 6'2" just don't get it. The person in front of me is not reclining, and neither of us has any choice in the matter. Truth be told, if I could safely and painlessly remove six inches from my legs, I would do it tomorrow. Oh, to be able to really enjoy a concert, sporting event, or not be in agony on an airplane.

If I was CAPABLE of allowing the person in front of me to recline, I would do so. Often, the attendants see the situation and move me to a seat that has a vacant seat next to it. That way I can sit at an angle and everyone gets to recline that way. (Although it's still not particularly comfortable.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,592,236 times
I usually don't recline on short flights (under 4 hrs), if it's a red-eye then I will absolutely be reclining my seat to sleep and I expect the person behind me is doing the same. It's never been a problem as most people are sleeping. If it's a trans-continental flight then same applies - most people recline to sleep. Again, never been an issue. As someone who is 5'7 145 lbs this is one time it's fantastic to be shorter and smaller haha! vindication for all the other times we are discriminated against...

Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,419,194 times
Think about this. If you get in the car with friends or family for a trip, everyone up front usually asks, "you have enough room back there?" it's courtesy and common decency to care about the plight of others. You don't just push the seat back all the way and tell Grandpa to deal with it.
It may be your right to recline but if you've just mashed your seat into some persons knees who now is in pain or uncomfortable for hours, do you not even care because "it's your right?"
To me, that'ss no different than watching someone fall and get hurt and saying, too bad for them, they should be more careful.
I feel bad if someone has a back problem and needs to recline. My knees are into the back of the seat with it fully forward. They can't recline without burying the seat into my knees or making me spread my legs out which encroachs on my neighbor.
I'm booked on a flight to California. My wife's seat is $400 and mine is $300 more for extra legroom. Not everyone who flies can afford that and those seats aren't always available. I wouldn't do the trip unless I got more room for two reasons. For my comfort and unlike some of you, I actually care about my "rights" affect on others.
Next time, imagine your mom or dad behind you. You'd ask them first and wouldn't want to cause them discomfort. And if you ask me, I'll be the first to say thank you and offer to buy you a drink.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,212,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
First class= no issues.
If one would fly at night or very early in the morning there are few if any issues hence the reason I fly at that time.
No children or sleeping children, no one in front of me to put their seat back, no one behind me so I can put my seat back and no one next to me in any direction and I don't have to pay the extra to fly in first class.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I can't wait until the airlines begin requiring people whose legs won't fit in the seat with the seating around it being used in the way it was designed being obligated to buy a seat where they will fit, just like an obese person would be. It's coming, and I'm sure sooner than later.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Think about this. If you get in the car with friends or family for a trip, everyone up front usually asks, "you have enough room back there?" it's courtesy and common decency to care about the plight of others. You don't just push the seat back all the way and tell Grandpa to deal with it.
It may be your right to recline but if you've just mashed your seat into some persons knees who now is in pain or uncomfortable for hours, do you not even care because "it's your right?"
To me, that'ss no different than watching someone fall and get hurt and saying, too bad for them, they should be more careful.
I feel bad if someone has a back problem and needs to recline. My knees are into the back of the seat with it fully forward. They can't recline without burying the seat into my knees or making me spread my legs out which encroachs on my neighbor.
I'm booked on a flight to California. My wife's seat is $400 and mine is $300 more for extra legroom. Not everyone who flies can afford that and those seats aren't always available. I wouldn't do the trip unless I got more room for two reasons. For my comfort and unlike some of you, I actually care about my "rights" affect on others.
Next time, imagine your mom or dad behind you. You'd ask them first and wouldn't want to cause them discomfort. And if you ask me, I'll be the first to say thank you and offer to buy you a drink.
I pay for my mom to fly in first, even though she's 5'2". Because that's how you take care of your elderly parents.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,953,636 times
You failed pretty hard at reading comprehension. I explained that if someone decided to slam their seat back, as the previous poster had alluded to, and in doing so they vandalized my equipment, I would hold their belongings to prevent them from running away without paying for the things they vandalized.

Destroying another persons property is illegal. Holding their property to ensure I receive compensation for the damage they did is entirely reasonable and is a tactic used in several court systems.

You suggest that no ones the space, but you surely believe you have a right to be free from assault. When I sit down in my seat, my legs block the seat in front of me from reclining. That is simply the length of my bones. Now you wouldn't want someone to use a seat to push your bones out of the way, so why do you suggest that tall people should have to deal with it? Should I stoop over the entire flight since there won't be enough room for my butt to be on the seat, nor enough room for me to stand upright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an airline tray that was big enough to accommodate both a laptop and a drink, so your argument here is pretty weak.

The trays do extend back on most flights I've been on. I've worked on a laptop while the seat in front of me was reclined. Not ideal but it was feasible for me.

So, you're saying you would commit theft (illegal) because someone exercised their ability to lean back, which isn't illegal or disallowed by the airline?

No one "owns" the space their seat occupies. I can't, for example, prevent someone from crossing over me when they need to go to the bathroom (I was once on a flight when the passenger next to me needed to go to the restroom at least a dozen times!). This involved multiple juggling of laptops, books, blankets and pillows. But nothing I could do about it.

Flights are uncomfortable. Get used to it. But they don't last forever.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,368,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Uh yeah, sure. ... It's not possible to accidentally dump a drink on the person in front of you. You're all talk, when push comes to shove you'd be whining like a two year old because you were too damn cheap to buy a seat you could fit into.
Other way 'round, chirper. The laws of physics would take a holiday inside the passenger compartment of an airplane, and a drink would magically fly over the seat, if you had the temerity to deliberately slam your seat back into my knees.
Tell us all, annie, how many times have you actually slammed your seat back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wow, I hope you aren't as childish as your scenario outlines.
I didn't originally say that I would do it. I suggested that if annie were to slam her seat back on someone, who she perceived to be an ass, she would wear a drink. I stand by that.
When she challenged me on the point, I stood my ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
it would never cross my mind to throw water on someone or threaten to beat their asses over it.
Yet, we read about these incidents, occasionally, if not regularly. I don't know that water would be thrown on some annoying annie, who would slam her seat back into your knees ...
but some might be spilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
being unable to move your knees to allow the front passenger to recline is not considered crew interference nor is it a federal crime.
How dare you disagree with others here? 'sputters'
I'll call the attendant & have you thrown off the flight!
Quote:
I can't wait until the airlines begin requiring people whose legs won't fit in the seat ... being obligated to buy a seat where they will fit
I can't wait until airlines start requiring all prima donnas to ride in first class, so their rudeness is not noticed by the hoi polloi in steerage.
Quote:
I pay for my mom to fly in first, even though she's 5'2". Because that's how you take care of your elderly parents.
Be sure to sit next to her! Or even better, in front of her!
I hope she doesn't accidentally spill a drink on you.

Last edited by bigjake54; 09-01-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,953,636 times
Quote:
I can't wait until the airlines begin requiring people whose legs won't fit in the seat with the seating around it being used in the way it was designed being obligated to buy a seat where they will fit, just like an obese person would be. It's coming, and I'm sure sooner than later.
You're aware that is discrimination? Obesity is caused by eating too much food. Having long legs is not a choice. Glad to see you have an angry little man syndrome. I do fit in the seat the way it is intended, with out the seat reclining. Since the seat comes in an upright position, perhaps they should charge people more money for the option to recline. Oh, you don't like it that way. Too bad.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Other way 'round, chirper. The laws of physics would take a holiday inside the passenger compartment of an airplane, and a drink would magically fly over the seat, if you had the temerity to deliberately slam your seat back into my knees.
Tell us all, annie, how many times have you actually slammed your seat back?
Once. The message got through loud and clear, and he moved his knees.

Quote:
I didn't originally say that I would do it. I suggested that if annie were to slam her seat back on someone, who she perceived to be an ass, she would wear a drink. I stand by that.
When she challenged me on the point, I stood my ground.
You would go to jail. As I said, I tell the person behind me I'm going to recline and give them time to adjust themselves or their stuff. A few minutes is more than enough time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel