Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
No, never. I think people just think their seat is broken/doesn't recline. I don't fly enough to get good statistical evidence to make a case either way, lol.
But we can get a few of us "Hodor-types" together and reach a consensus. For instance, not once ever has a gate attendant, ticket attendant or flight attendant been anything other than super-empathetic about my height.

Often, they'll wave me over, hunch over a computer, while saying, "Let's see what we have that will make your trip a little more pleasant." This has been my experience, I don't even have to ask. They just size me up, and decide that today's my lucky day. Maybe that's what they do for everyone who is my height and taller. And maybe I just have a knack for it.

Usually, I'm in the middle of the plane, next to the emergency exit, with the attendant's jump seat directly in front of me. That's where they tend to put me, even when I am unable to make my "months in advance" travel plans. And they have never charged me a penny extra for this. Not once. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have flown and NOT been in the position I just described.

Airline employees are simply aces with me. I cannot say enough good things about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM

254 posts, read 433,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why should I be the one to pay extra to use my seat in the way it was designed when it is you keeping me from doing so? Go read the Flyertalk article. The FA always sides with the customer who wants to recline. ALWAYS.

By the way, if a seat won't recline, most people will give it a slam to get it to go back, thinking the mechanism is stuck. That's how you end up with bruised knees.
The FA can move me if they like. They can't make my legs shorter! I'll happily take my long legs to a bigger row shall the FA offer.

Again, I fit just fine. I don't know why you have such a problem with me sitting in my seat. If you don't want to sit in front of me, call the FA, but ask them to bring some alcohol swabs and a bone saw...or a beverage to go with the first class upgrade I just got so the annerk's of the world can recline 1.5".

I feel people trying to recline from time to time. They give up quickly. Their seat(s) cannot move a quarter inch. No impact means I don't get a bruise. If pressure alone caused bruises then everyone's feet would bruise from standing or buttocks would bruise from sitting. Trust me, I'm as comfortable as I can expect flying coach.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
The FA can move me if they like. They can't make my legs shorter! I'll happily take my long legs to a bigger row shall the FA offer.

Again, I fit just fine. I don't know why you have such a problem with me sitting in my seat. If you don't want to sit in front of me, call the FA, but ask them to bring some alcohol swabs and a bone saw...or a beverage to go with the first class upgrade I just got so the annerk's of the world can recline 1.5".

I feel people trying to recline from time to time. They give up quickly. Their seat(s) cannot move a quarter inch. No impact means I don't get a bruise. If pressure alone caused bruises then everyone's feet would bruise from standing or buttocks would bruise from sitting. Trust me, I'm as comfortable as I can expect flying coach.
You are comfortable because YOU can recline your seat. You are making the person in front of you uncomfortable as they are unable to use their seat in the way it was designed, therefore YOU are infringing on their rights and comfort and YOU should be the one to buy a seat with appropriate room to fit your body so those around you can use their seats.

Like I said, YOU would feel differently if the 400 pound guy next to you made it impossible to use your seat in the manner in which it was designed.

And no, you aren't getting moved to first class. The person you are inconveniencing will be the one to get the upgrade. You obviously don't fly much either to not understand how upgrades work.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM

254 posts, read 433,661 times
Quote:
You are comfortable because YOU can recline your seat. You are making the person in front of you uncomfortable as they are unable to use their seat in the way it was designed, therefore YOU are infringing on their rights and comfort and YOU should be the one to buy a seat with appropriate room to fit your body so those around you can use their seats.

Like I said, YOU would feel differently if the 400 pound guy next to you made it impossible to use your seat in the manner in which it was designed.

And no, you aren't getting moved to first class. The person you are inconveniencing will be the one to get the upgrade. You obviously don't fly much either to not understand how upgrades work.

I don't fly much, you're right. Regardless, if the guy in front of me moves, I'm cool with that. At the end of the day we all got to where we wanted to go and I'm not paying extra for legroom I don't need. If he's with family and they can't separate, I'm likely to be solo. I can move. If he moves and someone else has to occupy his old seat, they can't recline neither. No skin off my back (or knee) either way.

Spilling over into someone's seat is remarkably different than sitting in your own space, from where I sit. Pun intended.

Not to sound completely inconsiderate, I'd like to point out I limit my fidgeting for the comfort of those "stuck" in front of me. Pun intended again. Sometimes I just have to scratch an itch on my calf that'll just jiggle your seat a little. I found when I say two words that it smoothes things over nicely: I'm sorry.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Why should I be the one to pay extra to use my seat in the way it was designed when it is you keeping me from doing so? Go read the Flyertalk article. The FA always sides with the customer who wants to recline. ALWAYS.

By the way, if a seat won't recline, most people will give it a slam to get it to go back, thinking the mechanism is stuck. That's how you end up with bruised knees.
100% incorrect; the FA does not take any side. If a person cannot recline, the FA has always determined there is no inherit right of the person to recline. I have yet ever heard of anyone being forced to move because of this, nor has anyone ever been prevented from flying, taken off the plane, etc, because they are too tall to allow the person in front of them to recline.

The airlines cannot take any sides because as of now, they are selling on a "seat space", meaning if they sell you with 31" of seat space, then that means you are renting this space. Hard pressed for the airline to say your ticket is invalid because the person in front of you wants to recline and they cannot.

It is obvious you have a very difficult time grasping such concepts, no where, and I mean absolutely no where does it state that a person's leg room is subservient to the person reclining. You cannot even present anecdotal evidence of this one because it does not exist unless you make it up.

You know what happens when a person cannot recline their seat? Nothing. It is too bad for them. No airline in the world is obligated to do anything about it. I am no stranger to any of this, I am 6'4" and fly frequently. All a person can do is request to swap with a person. They cannot force the person behind them to be taken off the aircraft so they can recline their seat. It also has been determined a person's knees touching the seat in front of them is not an infringement on the space of the person in front of them, unlike an overweight person spilling into the seats beside them.

You have an obtuse attitude towards facts.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
the seat reclines, that is how it was designed..if you can't fit in the space provided then you are too tall for the seat and need to buy additional space, end of story. Asking others to give up their amenities to accommodate you is rude and inconsiderate.

What is arrogant is asking the other person to compromise to suit you because you don't want to pay for additional space.

Best way to deal with the situation if a person behind gives you grief over reclining your seat is to call the flight attendant and tell them that the person behind you is being hostile and preventing you from reclining your seat. I bet the other person is going to be warned to stop. Never confront people on your own...always go through the official channel.
Actually no, that is not how it was designed. It was designed with an extra three inches of seat space in mind, and the airlines have taken three inches of space away over the last ten years.

Also, a person fits just fine in the seat the rented from the airline, it is not their problem the person in front of them wants to recline, that is not want the seat space ticket states. I have looked through all my stuff from my recent flight last month, not one single thing states about the person in front of you reclining.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
It's all about using the seat that I paid for in the manner in which it was designed. It's no different than having to share part of my seat with the obese guy who couldn't bother to buy a second seat. This is not my problem. It's called personal responsibility, something obviously lacking in many on this thread.
Wait, so it is about the seat you paid for, but the person behind you, it is not about the seat they paid for? A person's legs fit just fine, if the airline had a policy against not allowing seats to recline, they would not allow a person over a certain height to purchase in certain rows, now would they? So since the airlines have not shown concern, it is obvious you do not have any sole "rights" to recline your seat.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
There doesn't need to be a written policy, the fact that seats recline and anti-recline devices are banned is enough fact to prove the position.
Anti-recline devices are banned because they are a modification to the airplane, not because of what they do.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
I usually don't have a problem: people are almost always considerate enough not to do a full recline and a partial one doesn't impinge on my space. When I recline myself I do it just enough to get more comfortable and then stop.

In terms of politeness and priority I think someone's ability to fit their legs in the seat matters more than reclining matters more than use of the tray; and that's how I act and have had the fortune of people around me generally acting as well -- granted I only fly a few times a year so it might just be luck..

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Since this now seems to be a weekly issue Delta Flyer Plane Land Over Reclining Seat Fight - ABC News

Something has to give... or planes will be doing lots of unscheduled landings.

And seriously, a passenger demands they land the plane over a seat issue, AND THEY DO?? Holy crap, it's THAT EASY>??

LOL I'm not even sure what to say about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel